Failed Experiments

nash61

I was thinking today (should be doing homework), but what are some ideas that had promise, but failed miserably? Here's one to start you off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAqfSBEwJgE

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, Nolan looks young in that clip.

25 to be precise.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This one may not be as well known, and I'll be surprised at how many actually saw this. On Dec. 22, 1980, the Jets/Dolphins game was broadcast on NBC with no announcers. To date, it's the only NFL game broadcast without commentaries of any kind.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

I originally wanted to say FoxTrax...but I actually liked the idea of the glowing puck. Someone should bring that back.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I originally wanted to say FoxTrax...but I actually liked the idea of the glowing puck. Someone should bring that back.

As a non-hockey fan, I remember the neon puck and I loved it. I don't really follow hockey that much, but the glowing puck made it easier to keep track of the action. I'm guess too many hardcore fans probably complained. Sometimes it catches on, like the Magic 1st Down Line in football.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

This one may not be as well known, and I'll be surprised at how many actually saw this. On Dec. 22, 1980, the Jets/Dolphins game was broadcast on NBC with no announcers. To date, it's the only NFL game broadcast without commentaries of any kind.

As someone was alive during it, I would not call it a failure. It was a one off idea. If there is not anyone is not willing to try, then the sport will not advance as a game or as a broadcast.

As for something which was then a good concept, but had logistical issues and then shut down after a year was "The National" Sports Daily. Today, there is no use for a sports only, daily newspaper.

As someone was alive during it, I would not call it a failure. It was a one off idea. If there is not anyone is not willing to try, then the sport will not advance as a game or as a broadcast.

If it wasn't a failure, it would have been repeated. That's how the sport advances.

If it wasn't a failure, it would have been repeated. That's how the sport advances.

d/p

The Golf Channel did it last year for an event and there are occasions when an internet broadcast is without announcers.

The Golf Channel did it last year for an event.

CBC did it for CFL games for a couple of months in 2005 when CBC on air personalities were locked out. Also, one year (I forget when) RDS did it for Canadiens playoff games when their on air personalities were on strike.

I remember watching parts of that game, and just thinking it was strange.

Archived