Failed Experiments

nash61

The sorry ass Cubs thinking they can keep polishing the turd that is wrigley field with meagerly improved bathrooms/locker rooms instead of just building the new stadium they've needed for god knows how long.

Apox on you.Wrigley Field rules, do we need another modern stadium with deafening music and a ungodly huge jumbo tron. Its nice one ballpark still looks like baseball and sounds like baseball in the 40s.

My thinking is that the cubs would basically rebuild Wrigley. There's no need for a jumbo tron, obviously. Make a cozy stadium with the bricks, marquee and ivy and all that, but add some modern amenities, completely new infrastructure. The reason I say this is because I'm tired of Cubs brass saying that their offseason renovations to the ballpark are 80% related to it crumbling apart.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I say this is because I'm tired of Cubs brass saying that their offseason renovations to the ballpark are 80% related to it crumbling apart.

Then your beef isn't really with the ballpark.

Cubs brass say that because they want to keep their options open. They have to talk down the ballpark if they want to get public funds for the improvements, not to mention keep it from being landmarked.

Ricketts even managed to screw that up by insisting on the Toyota sign at the nadir of Toyota's public image and cutting down on organ music.

I don't want a new stadium for the Cubs. A move to the suburbs would be a civil engineering nightmare, and the people who say "I want the park to be right on Lake Michigan" aren't using a single brain cell.

Plus the state is several degrees beyond broke.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Are you kidding? Knowing the current state of Illinois politics, it wouldn't shock me if they pulled money out of their ass at the last minute if a new stadium would ever be seriously on the table. The number of goons needed to intimidate the money out of people would have to be figured out first, though. :P

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Are you kidding? Knowing the current state of Illinois politics, it wouldn't shock me if they pulled money out of their ass at the last minute if a new stadium would ever be seriously on the table. The number of goons needed to intimidate the money out of people would have to be figured out first, though. :P

If they tried to pull money out of their ass right now, they'd get the mother of all enemas. :P<_<

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WUSA (Women's United Soccer Association) and the just hanging by a thread soon to be defunct WPS (Women's Professional Soccer).

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

God, I'd kill to be a fly on the wall in a Tom Ricketts-Rahm Emanuel corporate welfare shakedown. I've never heard a man call another man a corpsefcking retarded pissant jizzmop, and this would be the time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Split home/"regional" teams:

1. Kansas City-Omaha Kings (1972-75)

2. Carolina Cougars, ABA (1969-74)

3. Atlanta Hawks, 1984-85 season (12 home games in New Orleans)

4. Utah Jazz 1983-84 season (11 games in Las Vegas)

5. Floridians, ABA (1970-72) (Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville/West Palm)

6. Texas Chaparrals, ABA (1970-71) (Fort Worth/Lubbock)

7. Virginia Squires, ABA (1970-76) (Norfolk/Richmond/Roanoke/Hampton)

That's the first I've heard of the Atlanta Hawks or the Jazz doing that. Neither Atlanta/New Orleans or Salt Lake/Las Vegas are even that close! I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I guess after today you can add "Manny Ramirez, DH/OF/whatever he was, Tampa Bay Rays" to this list.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

*placeholder for Cam Newton*

Today, we are all otaku.

If this thread has officially devolved to the point where we're just posting athletes who were busts, I submit to you Shawn Bradley. Can't count the number of times we heard "he will revolutionize the game - they will eventually have to change rules for him just like they did for Chamberlain."

Shawn-Bradley.jpgshawn_bradley_nick_van_exel.jpgbradley.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If this thread has officially devolved to the point where we're just posting athletes who were busts, I submit to you Shawn Bradley. Can't count the number of times we heard "he will revolutionize the game - they will eventually have to change rules for him just like they did for Chamberlain."

Shawn-Bradley.jpgshawn_bradley_nick_van_exel.jpgbradley.jpg

Hell, I'd call those uniforms a "failed experiment."

Look at that picture on the right. Guy looks like a trainee at Blockbuster Video. Nobody was going to change the rules for him. Who were these people?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Michael Jordan playing pro baseball.

He just needed somewhere to stay in the spotlight while being secretly suspended by the NBA for gambling.

I've heard this before, but just wondering how true it really is.

What would the point of a secret suspension be? I always thought that part of the point of the suspension is to show other players what happens when you mess up, in addition to punishing the actual offender. I'm not sure what this would accomplish.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Michael Jordan playing pro baseball.

He just needed somewhere to stay in the spotlight while being secretly suspended by the NBA for gambling.

I've heard this before, but just wondering how true it really is.

What would the point of a secret suspension be? I always thought that part of the point of the suspension is to show other players what happens when you mess up, in addition to punishing the actual offender. I'm not sure what this would accomplish.

But he's Michael freaking Jordan! That would be a black mark on the NBA like no other. Can you imagine if it had been Wayne Gretzky? Babe Ruth?

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived