Failed Experiments

nash61

Split home/"regional" teams:

1. Kansas City-Omaha Kings (1972-75)

2. Carolina Cougars, ABA (1969-74)

3. Atlanta Hawks, 1984-85 season (12 home games in New Orleans)

4. Utah Jazz 1983-84 season (11 games in Las Vegas)

5. Floridians, ABA (1970-72) (Miami/Tampa/Jacksonville/West Palm)

6. Texas Chaparrals, ABA (1970-71) (Fort Worth/Lubbock)

7. Virginia Squires, ABA (1970-76) (Norfolk/Richmond/Roanoke/Hampton)

That's the first I've heard of the Atlanta Hawks or the Jazz doing that. Neither Atlanta/New Orleans or Salt Lake/Las Vegas are even that close! I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before.

The Celtics used to play a couple of games a year in Hartford and the Packers in Milwaukee. I actually see what these teams are going for...trying to regionalize a fan base and play limited games in a market that could sell out a few a year (like NBA games in Vegas). However, this will never happen again because teams now need every PSL-seat and luxury box for every game. It's the same reason MLB will never even have a rain-make-up double header without a gap to force two different admissions, much less a scheduled twin-bill.

Not to be that guy, but it's just kind of funny that this got debunked two days later with the Mets scheduling the make-up for their rainout as part of a pay-one-price double-header.

And the Mets and Braves will be playing a traditional doubleheader on Saturday as well.

Wow! Shows what I know.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The goalie and net cams.

We haven't seen those in a while.

Are you talking the camera's inside the goals in the NHL? Because if so you need to watch more hockey. I watched numerous games on the regional networks, Versus and NBC and at least twice in every game, they showed the view from the goal cam.

I personally like the goal cam... unless I see a butt shot, then it's not the greatest idea. But they're still around and are utilized quite often.

Any 49ers starting quarterback since Jeff Garcia.

Some real immortal names here:

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith

Cody Pickett

Trent Dilfer

Shaun Hill

Chris Weinke

J.T. O'Sullivan

Troy Smith

We actually have quite enjoyed Shaun Hill's work here in Detroit, since Matt Stafford can't stay on the field. How's O'Sullivan treating you? :P

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith

Cody Pickett

Trent Dilfer

Shaun Hill

Chris Weinke

J.T. O'Sullivan

Troy Smith

Could've drafted Aaron Rodgers instead... thanks, Niners! :D

Christina Aguilera sining the National Anthem at the Super Bowl.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Place holder for NHL on NBC/Versus

Professional hockey in Atlanta, Georgia.

Twice, no less.

If you include the Atlanta Knights, that would be three times ^_^

yeah because winning the turner cup is a total failure.... :rolleyes:

if you were referring to the knights moving you are wrong about that too. The knights moved because they didnt have an arena to play in. The old omni had to be demolished to make way for Satan's den...erm i mean philips arena.

ive said it before, and ill say it again; NHL didnt fail in atlanta, the owners did it.

Versus Network's The Daily Line

i actually liked that show.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith

Cody Pickett

Trent Dilfer

Shaun Hill

Chris Weinke

J.T. O'Sullivan

Troy Smith

Two Hiesman winners on that list. Can't go wrong with that! ^_^

6uXNWAo.png

Place holder for NHL on NBC/Versus

Professional hockey in Atlanta, Georgia.

Twice, no less.

If you include the Atlanta Knights, that would be three times ^_^

yeah because winning the turner cup is a total failure.... :rolleyes:

if you were referring to the knights moving you are wrong about that too. The knights moved because they didnt have an arena to play in. The old omni had to be demolished to make way for Satan's den...erm i mean philips arena.

ive said it before, and ill say it again; NHL didnt fail in atlanta, the owners did it.

Versus Network's The Daily Line

i actually liked that show.

Yes, the NHL failed in Atlanta, otherwise they wouldn't have moved, and the NHL would have found owners that would have kept the team there. Also, no matter what the circumstances, if a team has to move, including the Knights, then it's a failure. The Knights could have found or build a smaller arena in the area if they chose to. Then again, they moved to Quebec City which became a complete failure ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

The Atlanta Spirit idiots were terrible stewards of hockey, and they're pretty bad stewards of their preferred basketball too, but you don't get to the point of evicting your own anchor tenant by your shortcomings alone. The vaunted Atlanta corporate sector couldn't be talked into dropping major coin on hockey, and average folks couldn't get to games because Atlanta's infrastructure is such a nightmare. I mean, what do you do about that, other than win consistently, which is not a viable business plan? Sell the team to new owners who will build a new rink in the suburbs, I guess, but nobody wanted to spend the money to do either. This is the dark side of the diversified sports-entertainment portfolio: hockey is only a valuable part of one if you want it to be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The goalie and net cams.

The networks also had a "ref cam" clipped on the hat brim of NFL officials at one point. I was watching the Saints-Rams playoff game from 2000 a few weeks ago and there were some fantastic shots from the ref cam. Wish they'd bring that back. Same for helmet cams, which they experimented with briefly as well. Even if just in preseason, I would love to see what Brady, Brees, or Manning is seeing during a pass play.

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith

Cody Pickett

Trent Dilfer

Shaun Hill

Chris Weinke

J.T. O'Sullivan

Troy Smith

A valid point, but Aaron Rodgers in SF is very likely not the same Aaron Rodgers. And perhaps Alex Smith in Green Bay is a very different Alex Smith than the one with the Niners.

Say Archie Manning had gone to a good team and the Saints had drafted Joe Montana. Or Steve Young had stayed in Tampa. History would be very different. Some Falcons fans go on and on, "Oh, if they'd just kept Brett Favre" as if the talent around a player, the coaching, and even front office have nothing to do with individual success. Brett Favre the Falcon would be leaving a far different legacy than Favre the Packer/Jet/Viking.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The goalie and net cams.

The networks also had a "ref cam" clipped on the hat brim of NFL officials at one point. I was watching the Saints-Rams playoff game from 2000 a few weeks ago and there were some fantastic shots from the ref cam. Wish they'd bring that back. Same for helmet cams, which they experimented with briefly as well. Even if just in preseason, I would love to see what Brady, Brees, or Manning is seeing during a pass play.

Tim Rattay

Ken Dorsey

Alex Smith

Cody Pickett

Trent Dilfer

Shaun Hill

Chris Weinke

J.T. O'Sullivan

Troy Smith

A valid point, but Aaron Rodgers in SF is very likely not the same Aaron Rodgers. And perhaps Alex Smith in Green Bay is a very different Alex Smith than the one with the Niners.

Say Archie Manning had gone to a good team and the Saints had drafted Joe Montana. Or Steve Young had stayed in Tampa. History would be very different. Some Falcons fans go on and on, "Oh, if they'd just kept Brett Favre" as if the talent around a player, the coaching, and even front office have nothing to do with individual success. Brett Favre the Falcon would be leaving a far different legacy than Favre the Packer/Jet/Viking.

This is a very good point. What if David Carr had gone to the Titans? What if Ryan Leaf had gone to the Colts and Peyton Manning had gone to the Chargers? Would leaf still be a bust, or would the chargers have become a dominating NFL team?

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived