2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

And now the Patriot's own Boston's longest championship drought, at six years!!! Time to fire Belichick, LOL.

Yup, multiple whines on the WEEI whiner line on that topic:

"Hey Belichick, what have you done for me lately?!"

"Brady, pick up the slack, ya bum"

etc.

Before the inevitable "spoiled brats" comment, the whiner line is a satirical portion of a radio show. :P

Anyway, I am still on cloud nine. Last night was just surreal and when Marchand scored the empty netter to cement it, that distinct euphoria kicked in, that transcendent feeling you can usually just hope to have as a fan of any team. They did it, they really did it. Claude Julien, Chara, and that whole team fought through their shortcomings and mistakes every single time it mattered.

The Boston Bruins are Stanley Cup Champions. How awesome does that sound?

Too awesome for this planet! Hahaha...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to the parade.

I've wanted to see this championship more than any other team in Boston. I've sat through the years of management content with a playoff birth and nothing else. I've sat through playoff runs with more talented teams that were cut short by stonewall goalies (Billy Smith), extra players on the ice (Montreal), other teams' dynasties (Pittsburgh & Edmonton), arena blackouts from fog (Edmonton again), and then just sitting on the outside watching newer franchises get glory (Anaheim, Carolina, Colorado, Tampa, etc), and even Sidney Crosby holding the Cup.

The Patriots first Super Bowl was a surprise. No one expected them to beat the "greatest show on turf". The team had been to the Super Bowl twice before, as underdogs, and lost both times. So a third loss would not be unexpected.

I went to that parade. Over 1,000,000 people on the streets of Boston with temperatures below 20°.

While the Red Sox World Series was unbelievably exciting, it wasn't totally unexpected. The Sox had been in the playoffs the previous three or four seasons, and with the escalating salary era, it's pretty much assumed they, along with New York, Philadelphia, Anaheim and LA would be in the playoffs most seasons. And the 3-0 comeback against the Yankees was much more exciting than the Series against St Louis. Same with 2007 against Colorado...the LCS was more exciting, making the Series itself anticlimactic.

I didn't go to the Sox parade. More people were going to see that, and it would have been wayyy too crowded anywhere to see it in person. And with the rain that day, it was more relaxing to watch part of it at home.

The Celtics have such a successful history that most New Englanders only remember their parades. Title 18 was a fun celebration, but it's been done.

So now we have the Bruins. Unlike what some members here might think, only the media considers the Bruins an afterthought. The Media is the real bandwagon, not the fans. The diehards have always been here, through all the years of failure, and have still stood by the team. It was only within the last 10 or so years that team management finally put public faces to the fans, and put in an honest effort to build the team for the fans, instead of just making the playoffs to generate profit. They nabbed a local GM from Ottawa, and one of the biggest fan favorites to be President. And even though I think the team had more talent LAST season, this team worked hard through 3 game 7's to earn the Cup.

And I'm going to celebrate.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Noteworthy achievement for the NHL, and particularly impressive considering only one U.S. market was represented:

Cup Final Game 7 earns record viewership (in U.S.)

And in the Boston area it even outdrew last year's NBA Finals involving the Celtics.

This has to be taken with a grain of salt. In Canada, 53% of the entire country watched Game 7. In the U.S.? You could round it up to 3%. I guess it's a success, but in the same way that completing a pass for a 5 yard gain in your own redzone is a success. Boston was the driving force behind that rating, because it barely made a blip elsewhere in the U.S. The NHL's still got a long way to go before they can call this a big success, but if they're satisfied with being the main event in one country & a niche sport (that I will still enjoy to watch) in another, then well done Bettman!

Mike Gillis gave a basic rundown of the Canuck injuries through the playoffs at a press conference earlier today. Among the wounded:

Sami Salo (surprise!)- Abdominal, possible surgery required

Dan Hamhuis - Abdominal, surgery tomorrow

Mason Raymond - Factured vertebrae (we knew this one)

Christian Ehrhoff- Shoulder, probably surgery required

Henrik Sedin- Back, described as "major" but who the hell knows

Alex Edler- broken fingers

Chris Higgins- Foot issues, probably surgery required

Ryan Kesler- Torn groin, hip surgery required

Mikael Samuelsson- Abdominal, surgery performed

Nine regulars with (likely) serious injuries, still took it to game seven. Not bad.

I believe Boston had mentioned that they managed to avoid a lot of serious injuries through the playoffs (Horton is a notable exception), which is also pretty impressive in its own right.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

There were 18 guys in front of him that gave up before he did. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for one more year.

Again- they got within a game of the cup, with injuries to nine regulars. That deserves a bit of credit. There'd be a HELL of a lot more credit had they won, but this is still pretty good.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

^^ Exactly. By the end of game 5, you could tell that Boston was faster, stronger, and was simply outplaying Vancouver. Without Luongo's performance in 1,2 and 5, this is a MUCH different series.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Mike Gillis gave a basic rundown of the Canuck injuries through the playoffs at a press conference earlier today. Among the wounded:

Sami Salo (surprise!)- Abdominal, possible surgery required

Dan Hamhuis - Abdominal, surgery tomorrow

Mason Raymond - Factured vertebrae (we knew this one)

Christian Ehrhoff- Shoulder, probably surgery required

Henrik Sedin- Back, described as "major" but who the hell knows

Alex Edler- broken fingers

Chris Higgins- Foot issues, probably surgery required

Ryan Kesler- Torn groin, hip surgery required

Mikael Samuelsson- Abdominal, surgery performed

Nine regulars with (likely) serious injuries, still took it to game seven. Not bad.

I believe Boston had mentioned that they managed to avoid a lot of serious injuries through the playoffs (Horton is a notable exception), which is also pretty impressive in its own right.

Well this injury is most likely attributed to the strong breeze throughout the arena that tends to knock him on his ass after every whistle.

^^ Exactly. By the end of game 5, you could tell that Boston was faster, stronger, and was simply outplaying Vancouver. Without Luongo's performance in 1,2 and 5, this is a MUCH different series.

Which is precisely the opposite of what I thought coming into the series. I was scared to death of the speed and skill Vancouver can display. I thought the Bruins offensive style of play was near suicide with a team like the Canucks. Guess not. As you mentioned, injuries certainly played a big part, but so did the heart and determination. The Sedin brothers looked like they've never played an Eastern Conference team before, just completely shell-shocked.

EDIT: And I think the Kesler injury was the death blow to the Canucks, he just didn't look right out there; he tried, but you could clearly see he was missing a few steps. Didn't know it was as bad as a torn groin, hats off to him for gutting it out, I still stand by my lack of heart and determination for the rest of the team however.

Or the cross-checks that he takes after every play in front of the net, but I see where you're going with this :)

And unfortunately he won't get that call with the way he embellishes. Don't get me wrong, he certainly took his fair share of late hits, but the refs this series caught on mighty quickly to the acting that players who will remain unnamed did.

In fairness, it didn't get bad until the finals. They took a LOT of :censored: in the conference run, and didn't make a deal out of any of it.

Still no excuse for any of the flopping they did against Boston.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well Seguin didn't have exactly the greatest regular season, but had a pretty good playoffs when he played. So yeah it's not looking that great.

Exactly the kid had 2 great games, and both were after everyone elses body had been abused for over 2 rounds and he got to step in fresh. The Bruins won the cup, and would've still won with Kessel in the line-up. The trade is now mute, it's not like the Leafs and Bruins were on level ground when the deal was made, it was a top team trading to a bottom team.

Currently the Leafs have the better player. For all we know the Leafs could take Boston's pick this year and draft someone better than the Bruins do with the Leafs pick. I think everyone can agree the trades, now a mute with the Bruins winning the cup.

untitled-6.jpg

Well Seguin didn't have exactly the greatest regular season, but had a pretty good playoffs when he played. So yeah it's not looking that great.

Exactly the kid had 2 great games, and both were after everyone elses body had been abused for over 2 rounds and he got to step in fresh. The Bruins won the cup, and would've still won with Kessel in the line-up. The trade is now mute, it's not like the Leafs and Bruins were on level ground when the deal was made, it was a top team trading to a bottom team.

Currently the Leafs have the better player. For all we know the Leafs could take Boston's pick this year and draft someone better than the Bruins do with the Leafs pick. I think everyone can agree the trades, now a mute with the Bruins winning the cup.

Really? How is the trade moot when it's not even finished yet? I think the Bruins won this trade, Seguin is a younger, less temperamental star in the making. Phil is a whining brat who plays when he wants to play. And the B's get another first rounder? Win = Bruins. Different story with the Kaberle (who?) trade. This guy wasn't going to resign with them and they basically robbed the Bruins of a first round pick, he was non-existent in the black and gold. Win = Burke.

EDIT: fixed before Rams' coronary.

IT'S "MOOT" YOU MISCREANTS!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Yeah, all this talk about Luongo has to go or something to that extent is ludicrous. Luongo's no Patrick Roy or Martin Brodeur now, but he a damn good goalie and even Roy and Brodeur have lost cup finals and crazy miscues happen to them. The players around him should have done a much better job and it's up the Canucks to improve in those areas.

I saw, I came, I left.

Plus, beyond the injuries and Luongo's inconsistent performance, one has to take into account that Tim Thomas had one of the most statistically and overall incredible one-year runs that we've ever seen. He didn't get hot just in the playoffs, he'll probably win the Vezina Trophy next week, and overall other than Ken Dryden in 1971, Patrick Roy in 1986 and more specifically 1993, Ron Hextall in 1987 or J.S. Giguere in 2003 (both of those in losing efforts), the man was unflappable. You combine a long and draining season (President's Trophy with 117 points), with injuries (already listed here), not to mention a tough road to the Finals, and facing a hot opposing goaltender who had one of the greatest performances ever, and it's a miracle they got to a Game 7. If they didn't have those bad breaks, a tough matchup, and ran into a hot team, Vancouver wins their first Stanley Cup, no doubt.

Archived