2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

Interesting fact I read on Boston.com tonight (not to rub it in, but its really cool and unique):

All the current coaches/managers of Boston's four major sports teams have won championships with those teams.

Terry Francona (Red Sox)

Bill Belichick (Patriots)

Doc Rivers (Celtics)

Claude Julien (Bruins)

Aside from the city's success, the current coaching roster has been around for a long time. Winning doesn't always guarantee tenure, and sometimes the coaches just retire on their own, so it's remarkable that for a city that had two of its coaches fired on the same day (I think it was Celtics and Bruins, don't remember exactly) is now the standard bearer for longevity.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Seguin didn't have exactly the greatest regular season, but had a pretty good playoffs when he played. So yeah it's not looking that great.

Exactly the kid had 2 great games, and both were after everyone elses body had been abused for over 2 rounds and he got to step in fresh. The Bruins won the cup, and would've still won with Kessel in the line-up. The trade is now mute, it's not like the Leafs and Bruins were on level ground when the deal was made, it was a top team trading to a bottom team.

Currently the Leafs have the better player. For all we know the Leafs could take Boston's pick this year and draft someone better than the Bruins do with the Leafs pick. I think everyone can agree the trades, now a mute with the Bruins winning the cup.

Really? How is the trade moot when it's not even finished yet? I think the Bruins won this trade, Seguin is a younger, less temperamental star in the making. Phil is a whining brat who plays when he wants to play. And the B's get another first rounder? Win = Bruins. Different story with the Kaberle (who?) trade. This guy wasn't going to resign with them and they basically robbed the Bruins of a first round pick, he was non-existent in the black and gold. Win = Burke.

EDIT: fixed before Rams' coronary.

You think Seguin is a star in the making. The reason it's a moot is that the Bruins won the cup, and it wasn't due to Seguin, therefore who cares. If Kessel scores 100 goals next year, and Seguin gets 3, are Bruins fans going to lose their hair? Likely not, they just won a cup. We won't know until all players involved are retired (who really won). But at the moment I don't think Bruins fans could care less, as they are champions.

IT'S "MOOT" YOU MISCREANTS!

On that note, in my 20 years of life, I've never once been informed of that. Thanks a lot to English class.

untitled-6.jpg

Interesting fact I read on Boston.com tonight (not to rub it in, but its really cool and unique):

All the current coaches/managers of Boston's four major sports teams have won championships with those teams.

Terry Francona (Red Sox)

Doc Rivers (Celtics)

Claude Julien (Bruins)

Aside from the city's success, the current coaching roster has been around for a long time. Winning doesn't always guarantee tenure, and sometimes the coaches just retire on their own, so it's remarkable that for a city that had two of its coaches fired on the same day (I think it was Celtics and Bruins, don't remember exactly) is now the standard bearer for longevity.

Not really a hockey fan, but I keep an eye on things from a distance, and am happy that the Bruins ended their long drought.

Figured I'd ask a question that I got to thinking about the other day post B's Cup win, and with Slapshot's mention of the managers/coaches, it seemed an opportune time. Is there any other city with multiple teams in the history of the four major North American pro sports that has had all of its teams win championships within a 10-year period, as Boston has just done? That's absolutely nuts, especially for a four-team city. Talk about your anti-Cleveland...

If the Bears had won the 2006 Super Bowl, Chicago would have had all four within a 12-year period, and if the Rangers had won a Stanley Cup between 1962 and 1972, New York would have won all four. Of course, neither are four-team towns, but they fit the example best. If Los Angeles had a football team and it had won the Super Bowl between 2000 and 2010, Los Angeles would have had one as well. Then again, two of the LA teams that would have made up that foursome are Anaheim teams.

I think those are the closest you'll get, but I'm probably missing something.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Parade is Saturday.

...on my 18th birthday. Can life get any better?

Are you going? That would be one hell of a birthday.

I'm still in shock about the whole victory, as it reminds me of the 2001 Patriots who nobody picked and they made an incredible run to the championship and managed to out-gut and out-play a more talented team to take the title.

Absolutely. I don't think I would be able to forgive myself for missing it. Should be amazing.

Parade is Saturday.

I'm still in shock about the whole victory, as it reminds me of the 2001 Patriots who nobody picked and they made an incredible run to the championship and managed to out-gut and out-play a more talented team to take the title.

Absolutely. I don't think I would be able to forgive myself for missing it. Should be amazing.

Awesome, have fun. I'll be watching the festivities on my television, about 1000 miles away. I think the NHL Network is running the entire parade, commercial-free, starting around 10am tomorrow.

If the Bears had won the 2006 Super Bowl, Chicago would have had all four within a 12-year period, and if the Rangers had won a Stanley Cup between 1962 and 1972, New York would have won all four. Of course, neither are four-team towns, but they fit the example best. If Los Angeles had a football team and it had won the Super Bowl between 2000 and 2010, Los Angeles would have had one as well. Then again, two of the LA teams that would have made up that foursome are Anaheim teams.

I think those are the closest you'll get, but I'm probably missing something.

If it's LA proper you're talking about, then had the LA Kings won the Stanley Cup in 1993, they would have had all four within a decade.

I saw, I came, I left.

Figured I'd ask a question that I got to thinking about the other day post B's Cup win, and with Slapshot's mention of the managers/coaches, it seemed an opportune time. Is there any other city with multiple teams in the history of the four major North American pro sports that has had all of its teams win championships within a 10-year period, as Boston has just done? That's absolutely nuts, especially for a four-team city. Talk about your anti-Cleveland...

I don't think. There have been cities who's teams got to the finals within a ten year period. First New York, again not a four team town, but between 1986-94 New York had the Mets (1986 World Series champs), the Giants (1987 & 1991 Super Bowl champs), the Rangers (1994 Stanley Cup champs) and the Knicks (1994 NBA Finalists). Or or could make the stretch last from 1987-96, and replace the Mets with the 1996 Yankees.

Also from 2001-10 Philadelphia had the 76ers (2001 NBA Finalists), the Eagles (2005 Super Bowl losers), the Philies (2008 World Series champs, and 2009 finalists) and the Flyers (2010 Stanley Cup Finalists).

Parade is Saturday.

You better go. I went last year to the Blackhawks parade. I was one of those 2 million people. It was incredible. I was pretty far away from the main stage when the rally started, but it was just incredible to see the biggest street in the city just flooded with people in the middle of a normal day. One of the craziest/most awesome experiences in my life

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Parade is Saturday.

You better go. I went last year to the Blackhawks parade. I was one of those 2 million people. It was incredible. I was pretty far away from the main stage when the rally started, but it was just incredible to see the biggest street in the city just flooded with people in the middle of a normal day. One of the craziest/most awesome experiences in my life

I went last year as well and he's right, it was incredible. I was pretty far back for the actual parade, but managed to get to about the fifth row of people by the time the rally started (got to the front row at one point.) And the train ride turned out to be free because it was too crowded to walk through and collect tickets.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'm watching the NHL Network replay of game seven of the Finals, and what do I notice? Pierre McGuire is wearing a light blue and light green tie. Very subtle, Pierre. :flagcanada: So much for impartiality of the media. :rolleyes:

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Mike Gillis gave a basic rundown of the Canuck injuries through the playoffs at a press conference earlier today. Among the wounded:

Sami Salo (surprise!)- Abdominal, possible surgery required

Dan Hamhuis - Abdominal, surgery tomorrow

Mason Raymond - Factured vertebrae (we knew this one)

Christian Ehrhoff- Shoulder, probably surgery required

Henrik Sedin- Back, described as "major" but who the hell knows

Alex Edler- broken fingers

Chris Higgins- Foot issues, probably surgery required

Ryan Kesler- Torn groin, hip surgery required

Mikael Samuelsson- Abdominal, surgery performed

Nine regulars with (likely) serious injuries, still took it to game seven. Not bad.

I believe Boston had mentioned that they managed to avoid a lot of serious injuries through the playoffs (Horton is a notable exception), which is also pretty impressive in its own right.

I'd feel better about the "battling through injuries" thing if they didn't choke away 2-0 and 3-2 game leads in the Final. Boston was missing Savard all year, and Horton for most of the final.

The inability to adapt to the officiating was baffling too. Given what the Bruins were getting away with,sitting there and taking it was inexcusable.

What the hell is the point of players like Tanner Glass and Victor Oreskovich when they don't throw hits, and do nothing in scrums? Those guys are in the lineup to deliver a physical element of play and mix it up when it gets dirty, and they did absolutely nothing. Alberts is supposed to contribute to toughness too, and he did make a few hits, but they need someone on the team with the balls to stand up for the skill players and beat in the heads of players like Marchand when the referees decide to super glue their whistles in their pockets.

Or if you have "grit" players that don't actually display any grit, put in a guy who actually has some talent like Hodgson.

Terry Francona (Red Sox)

Doc Rivers (Celtics)

Claude Julien (Bruins)

Don't forget that Boston College won National Championships in hockey in 2001, 2008 and 2010. So yea I would call Boston the city of champions now.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

Terry Francona (Red Sox)

Doc Rivers (Celtics)

Claude Julien (Bruins)

Don't forget that Boston College won National Championships in hockey in 2001, 2008 and 2010. So yea I would call Boston the city of champions now.

Also BU's 2009 National Championship

Now if BC won a women's lacrosse championship between 07-10, I would've been fine with that compared to BC in any other sport. I knew someone on that team and she's a really nice girl. (oh, and basically BC's best player ever) /off-topic

/on-topic But yeah, Boston's really stacked up the championships. Which is funny, because half I'm happy for the city (Bruins, Sox), the other half I can't stand them for (Pats, Celtics) :P

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

College is a little different...those coaches tend to have tenure. Jack Parker's been at BU almost 40 years, Jerry York at BC for almost 20.

My comment was more about the longevity of Boston's current coaches, and the fact all of them have won championships with Boston.

I guess New York and Chicago have come close with the same coaches in a specific time period.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I'm watching the NHL Network replay of game seven of the Finals, and what do I notice? Pierre McGuire is wearing a light blue and light green tie. Very subtle, Pierre. :flagcanada: So much for impartiality of the media. :rolleyes:

Except that McGuire was working for NBC at the time, and thus should have been wearing yellow and black to support your theory. :flagusa:

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Except that McGuire was working for NBC at the time, and thus should have been wearing yellow and black to support your theory. :flagusa:

I understand your point, but that wasn't my point. I wasn't referring to NBC's lack of impartiality, but rather Pierre's, personally. ;)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Pierre McGuire claims that his name is Pierre, when it is actually Regis. He claims that he is Canadian, when he is actually from Jersey. He claims he has a wife, ...

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived