2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Various reports on twitter of at least 3 dead.

Dead.

DEAD. What the hell. I seriously hope it's false.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

AND YOU DIDN'T CALL ME TO GO FOR DRINKS?

Believe me... if every waking moment of my time in Vancouver hadn't been consumed by wedding-related activity (I was a groomsmen), we'd have been consuming mass quantities of quality craft-brewed beer together. We were in and out so fast, my head was swimming. Rest assured, the next time that I'm in Vancouver on MY schedule, I'll be looking you up.

It's winding down, but there are still a large number of douchebags out there. I'm honestly in shock about all of this.

This is so :censored:ing surreal. Rehearsal dinner was held in the Vancouver Art Gallery... I bought my son a couple of books in that Chapters location... I was interviewed by a CKNW reporter on the corner of Georgia and Granville the night Osama bin Laden was killed. Too disconcerting for words.

One of My classmates was maced (he was documenting the carnage) and had to have his brother guide him through the chaos cause he couldnt see. Can you imagine that. Having to be guided through hell without being able to see what the hell is going on around you.

Wait? Pepper sprayed??

oh god! I hope thats what he meant....

still terrible though

2043050vl19qK6.gif

CTV Vancouver's streaming doesn't appear to be working anymore. I'm following the Vancouver PD on twitter, http://twitter.com/#!/vancouverpd, it's fascinating. What a sad turn of events.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Various reports on twitter of at least 3 dead.

Dead.

DEAD. What the hell. I seriously hope it's false.

I know it's just Twitter, but also I'm seeing various tweets ranging from 3 to 9 dead -- OVER A FREAKING HOCKEY GAME!!!

6uXNWAo.png

Here's a feed from the Vancouver Sun, following and updating very speedily on the riots:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Downtown+Vancouver+erupts+into+violence+after+Stanley+loss/4953918/story.html

twitter

Let's make one thing clear: For those still downtown in a standoff with riot police, for those ramming barricades through store windows, for those looting a bookstore to find more flammable material, this was never about a hockey game. This was the dregs of society finding an opportunity to display humanity at its worst, and win, lose, or game postponed due to ice melt, this is what they were going to do. No hockey fan goes to a public rally for the team packing their balaclava.

:censored: each and everyone of these assorted goons, thugs, and fools.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Apparently there's been some clarity that nobody was pushed from the viaduct, someone did fall from one, however, so...yeah. again, stupid.

twitter

Well Vancouver can kiss any large crowds goodbye and for good reason. Congrats to the Bruins, as I feel sorry that a 39 year slump broken has to play second-fiddle to this. This whole night has just been a series of facepalms. Really hope those tapeworms got their rocks off on dragging Vancouver through the mud.

soundersbanner.png

Lost in all this, somebody probably brought this up but.

This was Mark Recchi's last game, what a career.

It's was a good career. Winning a cup with three teams is remarkable.

Congratulations to the Bruins, well deserved. I won't go through all the previous posts, but a few of my thoughts.

This should make up for the way the Bruins went out last year...

Has the cup even been hoisted higher off the ground than when Chara did it?

The Canucks should be embarrassed for the way they approached the final. I can tolerate the odd embellishment, but not to the extent the Canucks were doing.

Milan Lucic hoists the Memorial Cup and the Stanley Cup in the same city. When was the last time that happened?

All of Boston's major sports teams have won a title in the past decade... I cringe to say that :P

I wonder how Leafs fans feel watching Seguin hoist the cup?

I guess listening to Three Days Grace - Riot on the way home from work yesterday... turned out to be an omen...

EDIT: more thoughts:

Any push to put Marc Savard's name on the cup?

Canuck fans should still keep the faith. There is always next year...

I know a lot of people will trash Luongo for his performance and the comments, but I put far more blame at the rest of the team for their performances.

so with the first pick in the 2011 NHL draft... the Edmonton Oilers select...

I saw, I came, I left.

Hard to believe its been 18 years since a Canadian team last won the Cup. Between 1984 and 1993 Canadian teams won 8 of 10 Cups. Now its been almost two decades!!!

Another interesting note: The Maple Laughs are the only Original Six team not to win a Cup in the last twenty years.

Steve Nash Tweet

Vancouver please stop burning :censored:. We're a great city and have a lot of class. Our team is great and our championship will come. Soon.

Fixed. What an embarrassment for Vancouver, the Canucks, Canada, and hockey fans. Wow.

If I can say I have a "second favorite" team, it's the B's and has been since about '95. I'm glad my fellow Michigander Timmy Thomas got the Cup, and the well-deserved (win or lose) Conn Smythe, and Recchi, we'll see you in the Hall of Fame. Congrats, Bruins! (And is Boston the sports city of the century, thus far?)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I thought I was a sore loser... Vancouver fans have me beat by light years. The actions of those who started it is just shameful. Vancouver fans deserve much better then what went down last night.

Oh, and congrats to the Bruins for winning it all.

Fixed. What an embarrassment for Vancouver, the Canucks, Canada, and hockey fans. Wow.

If I can say I have a "second favorite" team, it's the B's and has been since about '95. I'm glad my fellow Michigander Timmy Thomas got the Cup, and the well-deserved (win or lose) Conn Smythe, and Recchi, we'll see you in the Hall of Fame. Congrats, Bruins! (And is Boston the sports city of the century, thus far?)

Don't say it's an embarassment for Canada or for hockey fans. I don't feel embarassed because some people in Vancouver decided this would be a great time to start :censored:. I live in Toronto, thousands of miles away from Vancouver, I have no attachment to them.

As for the riot, I was in the middle of the "riot" in Montreal last year after the Game 7 win against Pittsburgh, and it sounds very similar to what happened in Vancouver. The people looting aren't fans, they just used the large crowds to cover their ass so they could do anything they wanted. I know Montreal has a history of Police using excessive force, so with such a huge crowd it was a way for some people to piss the police off by causing destruction with a huge crowd to blend into. I don't know if this is the same in Vancouver but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

1zqy8ok.gif

Don't say it's an embarassment for Canada or for hockey fans. I don't feel embarassed because some people in Vancouver decided this would be a great time to start :censored:. I live in Toronto, thousands of miles away from Vancouver, I have no attachment to them.

I feel the same way. I am not embarrassed by them, I am out east (in fact I am closer to places like Caracas, Venezuela and Liverpool, England than Vancouver). No need for me to feel embarrassed.

Archived