2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to clarify, estimates have the deal at $200 million per year for the deal, not $200M for the entire length. The NHL previously pulled in about $80M/year for the Versus deal, plus whatever ad revenues it could scrape out of the NBC arrangement. So it's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of doubling TV revenue.

NBC has their digital over-the-air subchannel, Universal Sports, which specializes in Olympic sports during the 3 years and 50 weeks people aren't particularly interested in them, so perhaps they could be the go-to for Winnipeg-Florida on a Wednesday.

Right. Thats what I meant it just didnt come out that way. This is major for the NHL, they actually had a BIDDING WAR for their TV rights. 200M per year is huge for the league. Hmmm, think the salary cap will go up?

Boy the NHL signs a $2 billion deal with NBC and VS? Thats amazing!!

Considering the NHL has never been a TV driven league in the U.S (TV ratings have always been weak for the NHL in the U.S going as far back as the 1970s), and considering they gave the TV rights to NBC for free after the lockout and had to sign a deal with OLN (the Outdoor Life Network) after being lowballed by ESPN (who ironically was in the bidding war to get the rights back) this is pretty amazing for them to get a deal like this done. The NHL has come along way these past 5 years.

The Catch of the Day!

According to Steve LePore, the new deal guarantees every single playoff game will be broadcast nationally. Wow.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How Chris Kunitz isn't suspended for the rest of the playoffs and at least the first few weeks of the 2011-12 season is beyond me...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Pour it on, get in Luongo's head. I'd love a blowout win tonight, but until they play the same way in game 5 on the road, I'm not convinced.

oh, and welcome back Davey B!

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Nice big fat win tonight but gotta win game 5 to make it a series. Otherwise this game may only be remembered as a glitch in the matrix.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4-0 Kings. Niemi out, Niittymaki in.

Puckguy Suicide Watch: ELEVATED

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love watching ignorant writers eat their words. Mark Purdy of the Mercury News wrote this lame piece on Staples Center and it being quite. http://www.mercurynews.com/mark-purdy/ci_17877536?&nclick_check=1 So if this is what a Kenny G concert sounds like, it's a friggin' rocking concert and better than any Metallica concert. It also sounds a lot like Sharks choking and sirens as police look for Joe Thorton.

Archived