2011 NHL Playoffs

NEW.ERA

Just finished taking an NHL fan survey and two of the questions involved playoff seeding. One asked for an opinion about getting rid of reseeding and going to a straight bracket in each conference. The other asked about taking the top 8 from each conference and seeding them 1-16 and having them play. In this scenario, it would be possible for 2 teams from opposite conferences to play before the Final and also possible for two teams from the same conference to play in the Final. Realize that it would not be the top 16 teams in the league (single table) but the top 8 from both conferences.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished taking an NHL fan survey and two of the questions involved playoff seeding. One asked for an opinion about getting rid of reseeding and going to a straight bracket in each conference. The other asked about taking the top 8 from each conference and seeding them 1-16 and having them play. In this scenario, it would be possible for 2 teams from opposite conferences to play before the Final and also possible for two teams from the same conference to play in the Final. Realize that it would not be the top 16 teams in the league (single table) but the top 8 from both conferences.

In a league where the regular season is already called into question as being meaningless, I think keeping reseeding at leasts holds onto the notion that the seeds matter through the second round. I don't like the 1-16 idea unless they eliminate conferences and play a completely balanced schedule.

PvO6ZWJ.png

In a league where the regular season is already called into question as being meaningless, I think keeping reseeding at leasts holds onto the notion that the seeds matter through the second round. I don't like the 1-16 idea unless they eliminate conferences and play a completely balanced schedule.

I like reseeding. It gives us upsets and rewards teams with better records that earned it over 82 games.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Bruins head back to Boston with a 2-0 advantage. Wow.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Bruins may have a stronghold on this series, I just can't see Philly taking 2 in Boston with that goaltending.

Still though, you have to wonder like with the Canucks if there is that mental block since obviously they blew the 3-0 lead last year. I gotta agree since Niemi has rebounded, Philly's goalies have officially been the worst this playoffs.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I'd rather keep the playoff system as it is.

Bruins continue to press, and it pays off.

Actually, before the first goal, the B's had a guy wide open in front of the net, and missed the feed,

resulting in the break-out.

Tim-may came up big in the 3rd period to hold the win.

While things look good, I won't be celebrating should Boston go up 3-0.

sig-1.png

Love the playoff system as is. Higher seeds get the benefits of reseeding, and the lower seeds earn their upsets; The NHL/NFL system of reseeding is better than the NBA bracket system. I think it is a joke that over in the NBA, the two best teams left in the West (LA and Dallas) have to play one another in the second round, while the two lower seeds (OKC and Memphis) are also playing one another.

I don't care for reseeding. Given that everyone else but the NHL runs tournaments without doing it, it's probably a bad idea. I don't care that Memphis is playing the 4 seed instead of the 2 seed. They already beat the 1 seed, and for doing so should be afforded the draw intended for the 1 seed. It's hard enough as it is for a lower seed to win a first round in the NBA; why do you want them fed to a succession of wolves? I thought the "joke" was that the first two rounds of the NBA playoffs are generally foregone conclusions. Ah, I can't keep up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Bruins may have a stronghold on this series, I just can't see Philly taking 2 in Boston with that goaltending.

Still though, you have to wonder like with the Canucks if there is that mental block since obviously they blew the 3-0 lead last year. I gotta agree since Niemi has rebounded, Philly's goalies have officially been the worst this playoffs.

Philly's got Boston right where they want them.

Stamkos is world class. What a shot to tie the game.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Archived