NCAA Game on Air Craft Carrier

NJTank

This is VERY cool. Not even counting that it's going to be an outdoor game, and ignoring the fact that it's a basketball game being held on a boat, it's STILL awesome to do a game for the troops. WWE does their annual Tribute to the Troops show, and UFC occasionally does events on bases. I would be in favor of this becoming an annual event if it works out well.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

UNC had "11.11.11" on their floor at the scorer's table for the majority of last season. This should not really be something new for most of us.

So, you predicted that the "11.11.11" meant that UNC would be playing a basketball game on an aircraft carrier?

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

UNC had "11.11.11" on their floor at the scorer's table for the majority of last season. This should not really be something new for most of us.

So, you predicted that the "11.11.11" meant that UNC would be playing a basketball game on an aircraft carrier?

or, maybe it's because this is old news

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=76507&view=findpost&p=1470634

I saw, I came, I left.

Meh. Page six of a fifty-one page thread that I've never opened until today.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Meh. Page six of a fifty-one page thread that I've never opened until today.

Blah, I don't go that thread much myself, but I did remember reading about this earlier. I'm just pointing out this is old news. ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

My question going into the game would be how bad do they expect the wind to be. They don't play outdoor games for a reason. Its a nice gesture to the military, and there's definately a side show element to it, but it also has a kind of a reinventing the wheel factor to it as well. It was invinted to be an indoor game and its worked well that way for over 100 years. Playground and the occasional exhibition games are fine, but at the competitive level that the college game is at I would much rather see an indoor game.

At the same time its also only one game, so I'm not going to get too crazy over it, but I can see this turning out to be a very poor quality game if the wind picks up.

It's also a good exhibit of just how insane our military budget is. We gotta be the only country in the world capable of being at war, and still manage to have an air craft carrier to spare in order to play a basketball game on it. And I mean we are literally the only one. There are 21 aircraft carriers in the world, we have 11 of them. Spain and Italy are the only other countries in the world with more then 1. Both have 2.

My question going into the game would be how bad do they expect the wind to be. They don't play outdoor games for a reason. Its a nice gesture to the military, and there's definately a side show element to it, but it also has a kind of a reinventing the wheel factor to it as well. It was invinted to be an indoor game and its worked well that way for over 100 years. Playground and the occasional exhibition games are fine, but at the competitive level that the college game is at I would much rather see an indoor game.

At the same time its also only one game, so I'm not going to get too crazy over it, but I can see this turning out to be a very poor quality game if the wind picks up.

It's also a good exhibit of just how insane our military budget is. We gotta be the only country in the world capable of being at war, and still manage to have an air craft carrier to spare in order to play a basketball game on it. And I mean we are literally the only one. There are 21 aircraft carriers in the world, we have 11 of them. Spain and Italy are the only other countries in the world with more then 1. Both have 2.

:flagusa:

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

It's San Diego.

In the fall.

I don't think the weather is going to be nearly the problem some make it out to be.

/Slightly surprised this will be on an active carrier and not the Midway, though.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Relax, man. When carriers return from deployments, they're moored for quite a while undergoing maintenance, refit, and resupply. We're at no risk of losing WWIII because the Navy gave the NCAA some deck space for a couple of days. B)

BTW, how'd you feel about Cher taking over the USS Missouri? :D

cher3.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I just said we're the only country on earth to afford that kind of luxury. No other country on earth can relive aircraft carriers during a war.

You can take it to mean whatever you want from there. I'm not getting into it on a sports forum.

Relax, man. When carriers return from deployments, they're moored for quite a while undergoing maintenance, refit, and resupply. We're at no risk of losing WWIII because the Navy gave the NCAA some deck space for a couple of days. B)

BTW, how'd you feel about Cher taking over the USS Missouri? :D

cher3.jpg

I think if we can turn back time the Navy may reconsider that decision.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I just said we're the only country on earth to afford that kind of luxury. No other country on earth can relive aircraft carriers during a war.

You can take it to mean whatever you want from there. I'm not getting into it on a sports forum.

The English do it all the time, as do the Spanish and Italians if I'm not mistaken. They both almost always have at least one carrier off duty at any given time. The main reason we have carriers to spare though is that we have more than anyone else. Most other navies didn't invest in carriers they way we did choosing to go with land based planes and regular surface/sub fleets. And it makes sense. Our allies (and former enemies like Russia), don't have to travel nearly as far to get to the world's typical trouble spots.

That said, look for the Chinese to start having the same type of capabilites we do in the near future. They're almost done fitting out an old Soviet carrier that was never finished to be their first with plans for their own home built class of 2-5 ships to start entering service later in the decade.

The English do it all the time, as do the Spanish and Italians if I'm not mistaken. They both almost always have at least one carrier off duty at any given time. The main reason we have carriers to spare though is that we have more than anyone else. Most other navies didn't invest in carriers they way we did choosing to go with land based planes and regular surface/sub fleets. And it makes sense. Our allies (and former enemies like Russia), don't have to travel nearly as far to get to the world's typical trouble spots.

That said, look for the Chinese to start having the same type of capabilites we do in the near future. They're almost done fitting out an old Soviet carrier that was never finished to be their first with plans for their own home built class of 2-5 ships to start entering service later in the decade.

Also carriers are a financial b!tch to own and operate.

Although grouping Harrier carriers with Nimitz-class supercarriers is also kind of...inaccurate. If they get to count those, we really should add the LHDs to our total.

/Don't forget that Japan has built a pair of helicopter destroyers carriers in all but name and was planning to build larger ones with a possible fixed wing capacity.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sorry, I focused only on the second half of your statement. You're right, we're the only country with that many carriers. Which is kind of comforting IMO.

@NJTank, nice...and you're right too. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Why not use Navy?

Oh, and this should be the halftime show.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived