2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

No they won't. No one has to conspire to keep Boise State and/or Houston out of the BCS Championship. They haven't proven to be good enough or tested enough to warrant a spot in the game anyway. Sorry.

I'm just going to leave this out here for the SOS pundits to mull over.

'Bama will have ducked both South Carolina and Georgia this season and their only "difficult" non-Conference opponent is Penn State and its non-existent offense.

When you factor in how bad the rest of the SEC is this season...why does Alabama get all this credit again?

Can I throw Stanford in there too? Who has Stanford beaten out of conference? Duke? San Jose State?

Better yet, who has Stanford beaten IN conference? A narrow escape against Southern Cal makes them the fourth-best team in the country?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No they won't. No one has to conspire to keep Boise State and/or Houston out of the BCS Championship. They haven't proven to be good enough or tested enough to warrant a spot in the game anyway. Sorry.

I'm just going to leave this out here for the SOS pundits to mull over.

'Bama will have ducked both South Carolina and Georgia this season and their only "difficult" non-Conference opponent is Penn State and its non-existent offense.

When you factor in how bad the rest of the SEC is this season...why does Alabama get all this credit again?

Can I throw Stanford in there too? Who has Stanford beaten out of conference? Duke? San Jose State?

Better yet, who has Stanford beaten IN conference? A narrow escape against Southern Cal makes them the fourth-best team in the country?

An undefeated Stanford will have picked off Oregon and the Pac-12 South champion (which will not be USC) so their schedule will improve. Alabama's will not.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

What's really sad is that ESPN is going to brand it as a "classic" and a "tough defensive battle" while ignoring the inept quarterback play, penalties, ugly special teams play (especially for Bama), bad playcalling, and general lack of discipline.

If we have to sit through another four quarters of this boring garbage in the title game, then there's literally no point to any other conferences playing any games, because the SEC bias will have reached an absurd level.

And if you thought the offense was bad on Saturday, just wait to see the offensive DERP that 5 weeks away from a football field will give you.

With a close final of 9-6, what do all of you think about the possibility of an LSU/Alabama NCG provided both teams win out?

Absolutely possible now, and no reason there shouldn't be if they finish out winners. ESPN advertised that game like crazy and it lived up to its hype.

Except the pushed Arky-South Carolina just as hard. :rolleyes:

I can't tell if you are joking or not...because for a Top 10 matchup to be going on within USC/Arky, it was pushed aside like every other game was for LSU/Bama attention.

They pushed it often enough and hard enough-including moving it to the night time slot. And it was only a top ten matchup because pollsters had yet to realize South Carolina no longer has an offense.

We have played a lot of night time slots this year, I don't think the matchup had anything to do with it except that it was an SEC matchup. They also put it in the same slot as LSU/Bama, so not really a huge marketing move for a "Top 10 matchup".

At any rate, I will admit our offense is hurting right now...but it isn't just because we don't have Lattimore. We have a lot of talent on the team, including offense, but our offensive line can't block long enough to allow a passing play to develop. We are a beat up team at the moment...playing our 4th string RB and have key OL out having to start freshmen. With that said, we scored 28 and were still in the game until the middle of the fourth quarter when we turned the ball over to Arkansas in great field position. For a team to lose their 5th year QB and their heart at RB (a potential Heisman candidate at the time), we are faring okay and scrapping along. We still have a shot at the SECCG pending a Georgia breakdown this weekend and we take care of business against Florida.

All any team needs is a shot. And while I'm not saying we are better than LSU or Alabama at all, I think our defense has been just as strong as theirs at times. Our offense unfortunately cripples them after multiple 3 and outs and busted series.

See, these 66-63 games aren't exciting to me. I can watch a couple of folks play a video game and see better defense.

These high-scoring games are only exciting if it's not normally seen. It's almost a weekly occurrence it seems for these games in the MAC and Big XII to be high-scoring and little defense.

There's a difference between being entertained and being excited about how a football game's played....

How many kicks did Alabama derp itself out of making on Saturday again? :rolleyes:

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

See, these 66-63 games aren't exciting to me. I can watch a couple of folks play a video game and see better defense.

These high-scoring games are only exciting if it's not normally seen. It's almost a weekly occurrence it seems for these games in the MAC and Big XII to be high-scoring and little defense.

There's a difference between being entertained and being excited about how a football game's played....

Same here. I'm a Toledo alum so I'm always happy to see them on TV but I stopped watching that game last night because it was just ridiculous. There's nothing "good" about a 66-63 college football game.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

The only D found anywhere in the MAC is in ToleDo.

Check it out: Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Temple, Western Michigan, and next year UMass will join the football ranks. MAC conference, we don't have any D.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The only D found anywhere in the MAC is in ToleDo.

Check it out: Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami, Northern Illinois, Ohio, Temple, Western Michigan, and next year UMass will join the football ranks. MAC conference, we don't have any D.

I LOLed :D

1zqy8ok.gif

I'd rather watch a 66-63 game than a 9-6 game. I'm sorry but I think touchdowns are exciting to see. I'm not entertained by 3 and outs galore because both have great defense and awful/mediocre offenses.

I feel that getting a touchdown against even little to terrible D is still an accomplishment. But seeing busted kicks and missed passes and punts galore isn't going to keep me watching. It's much more intense to see if someone can make a catch for a TD to win the game than "can this kicker who's botched 4 attempts today actually do his job and make one"

spacer.png

And likewise, I can watch a couple of folks play a video game and see better offense, special teams, and execution than we saw from the then top two teams in the country. And the thought of a rematch of that crap in the title game makes me want to retch, especially since it has everything to do with conference affiliation and nothing to do with the quality of the first game. At least high-scoring games are fun to watch, even if they don't always represent solid football.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I got to watch Illinois lose a shootout (both scores in the 60s) to Michigan last year and a 10-7 loss where most of the scoring didn't happen until the last five minutes this year. I'll take a low scoring game like the Penn State one any day over a shootout that looks more like a 7-on-7 than an actual football game. Seeing a team score on every possession takes all the fun out of watching the game. At least with a low scoring game you know that somebody is going to score eventually.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I'd rather watch offensive ineptitude over defensive ineptitude any day of the week. In fact, it's not even ineptitude in LSU and Alabama's case -- it's that their defenses are that good. I'd rather watch knowing that the game could hinge on a drive in the third quarter than knowing the game comes down to whoever gets the ball last because neither defense will be able to stop anybody before then. Why bother watching the first three quarters?

IUe6Hvh.png

Wacky BCS Predictions:

BCS Championship - LSU (13-0) vs. Oregon (12-1)

Rose Bowl - Stanford (11-1) vs. Wisconsin (11-2)

Sugar Bowl - Alabama (11-1) vs. Boise State (12-0)

Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma State (11-1) vs. Houston (13-0)

Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech (12-1) vs. Cincinnati (10-2)

Just contingency planning here...

So...um...how DOES the BCS computer rankings score a forfeit?

Today, we are all otaku.

I have a friend who is a Notre Dame fan who's constantly saying, "we'll never compete at a high level again until we lower our academic standards for football players."

Stanford's presence in the top 5 kills that theory.

1. They already have.

2. Do you remember that fuss about the course guide given only to athletes that let kids know what the easier classes were? Yeah, that was Stanford.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Why bother watching the game if both punters are on the field constantly? It's boring.

And while I don't deny that both teams' defenses are very good, both teams' offenses still stunk it up, with costly mistakes and penalties left and right.

There were only 8 punts and two 3-and-outs (in 19 real drives) in the LSU-Alabama game. There were also just 12 penalties total in the game, with neither team being flagged more often than usual (LSU was actually under their average penalties/game). I don't think we watched the same game.

The main reason why the LSU-Alabama game was exciting was because every single play was a "tension moment". Any competent college football fan knew that only one touchdown very well could be enough to win this game.

You wouldn't know an exciting game if it kicked you in the ass.

Archived