2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

We had one regular season megathread last season.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Boise runs the table and are one of two unbeaten teams they need to get a shot.

What a dark day that would be for college football...and this forum.

I wouldn't knock that precedent since I could see an independent Texas playing a lot of schools of Rice's caliber out of a combination of necessity and nuked bridges.

And anyway it's their own damn fault for setting up a system that can only take two teams. If only two teams have won all of their games in this situation, well then, yes they deserve a shot.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not an excuse for the Ducks, after the suspensions they had no excuse losing to LSU.

Oregon had suspensions too...like our playmaker and special team spark

him missing the game amounted to 2 special teams fumbles

his blatant disrespect for the law is taking away from his athletic gift and sickens me to have it wasted on him

the team seemed flat footed and lackluster

and darron thomas looks to have taken a step back

our offensive line needs to come together quick, otherwise this is going to be a LONG year

laMike is nowhere near a heisman candidate

great game by LSU

now we need to focus on Nevada and not let LSU beat us twice

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

If Boise runs the table and are one of two unbeaten teams they need to get a shot.

I wouldn't knock that precedent since I could see an independent Texas playing a lot of schools of Rice's caliber out of a combination of necessity and nuked bridges.

And anyway it's their own damn fault for setting up a system that can only take two teams. If only two teams have won all of their games in this situation, well then, yes they deserve a shot.

Why would UT do that?

And I have an unhealthy growing dislike of Boise State. The "smurf turf", the high school uniforms, the "pro combat" status...every bit of it defines the word gimmick. I guess it's a feel-good story, or something.

newsig.jpg

Why would UT do that?

And I have an unhealthy growing dislike of Boise State. The "smurf turf", the high school uniforms, the "pro combat" status...every bit of it defines the word gimmick. I guess it's a feel-good story, or something.

Because most of the Big schools won't have the dates to play them or argue "why should we play Texas when we already have an onerous Conference schedule". Or option 3 would be they don't want to deal with Texas' Athletic Department. Midmajor schools would have fewer inhibitions.

On a related note, I find establishing a school-specific network and then insisting on getting it on basic cable in 5 states is also quite the "gimmick" from the standpoint of tradition.

Today, we are all otaku.

Went to the Illinois/Arkansas State game today, very entertaining. Team looked unconvincing after a poor first quarter, but the Illini showed some spark to shut the game down thereafter.

Scheelhaase wasn't bad, he doesn't throw a good ball, but he puts it where it needs to be.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Why would UT do that?

Because most of the Big schools won't have the dates to play them or argue "why should we play Texas when we already have an onerous Conference schedule". Or option 3 would be they don't want to deal with Texas' Athletic Department. Midmajor schools would have fewer inhibitions.

On a related note, I find establishing a school-specific network and then insisting on getting it on basic cable in 5 states is also quite the "gimmick" from the standpoint of tradition.

Fine. I'm not the official UT rep on the CCSLC. My opinions are my own. I'm in favor of saving the Big 12, though I think it's toast. The stupid LHN (Longhorn Network) has pissed of a lot of people. We had opening night with around 5% of the city getting the game feed, which is really, really stupid.

UT is being put in it's place, and I'm OK with it. Being independent would kill them. As you said, we'd get a few big time games a year, play a cupcake schedule and beg for BCS consideration.

Don't assume all Texas fans are arrogant, and think this new network is a Godsend. A lot of us don't.

I stand by my gimmick comment about Boise State.

newsig.jpg

Went to the Illinois/Arkansas State game today, very entertaining. Team looked unconvincing after a poor first quarter, but the Illini showed some spark to shut the game down thereafter.

Scheelhaase wasn't bad, he doesn't throw a good ball, but he puts it where it needs to be.

The first quarter (and most of the first half) was very disappointing, but afterwards the team started playing like they should have. I left after the touchdown to start the second half and the rest of the game was pretty much what I expected. Next week should be pretty similar against South Dakota State before finally getting to play a good non-conference game against Arizona State.

I think Jason Ford will be able to carry most of the load Leshoure left off. What I'm more concerned about is losing Liguit on the defensive line and to a lesser extent Martez Wilson at linebacker.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The first quarter (and most of the first half) was very disappointing, but afterwards the team started playing like they should have. I left after the touchdown to start the second half and the rest of the game was pretty much what I expected. Next week should be pretty similar against South Dakota State before finally getting to play a good non-conference game against Arizona State.

I think Jason Ford will be able to carry most of the load Leshoure left off. What I'm more concerned about is losing Liguit on the defensive line and to a lesser extent Martez Wilson at linebacker.

I'm more concerned with the defensive backs, they were exceptionally soft today, but I'm hoping it was just a bad game.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm more concerned with the defensive backs, they were exceptionally soft today, but I'm hoping it was just a bad game.

I was a little concerned with how soft they were playing today. It's good that they're finally getting Terry Hawthorne to actually play so hopefully it's just a matter of time before they come together. I really wasn't in any condition during the game to give any more detailed criticisms, but I feel pretty good about this season. I'm hoping for a 7 or 8 win season this year.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Were you the drunk guy 2 rows behind me booing with the fighting spirit of a champion? I've heard some "boo"s before, but this guy boo'd like a professional. It was roaring and eternal, and fueled by alcohol-driven passion.

twitter

Were you the drunk guy 2 rows behind me booing with the fighting spirit of a champion? I've heard some "boo"s before, but this guy boo'd like a professional. It was roaring and eternal, and fueled by alcohol-driven passion.

Most likely not unless you were in the student section. And the only time I really booed was after the safety.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Anybody see Oklahoma's 18-point touchdown? Actually it was a TV scorebug malfunction but they went all out with it. First, on OU's first drive of the 2nd half, with the score 30-7 Sooners, the bug suddenly showed 36-7. My wife said, "When did OU get 36?" Uh, they didn't. So it went off for a few seconds while they showed a replay, then came back at 30-7.

OU scored a couple of minutes later and the bug rolled over to 36, then within a couple seconds, while they were still celebrating the TD, it clicked up to 42 and a couple of seconds later to 48. You could almost hear whoever was controlling it going "Doh!" "DOH!" "DOOOOH!!" :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I love reading the hatred oozing out of SEC fans who say Boise's win was some sort of "fluke" and that Boise would be 7-5 at best in a full SEC schedule.

U MAD, SEC?!

Boise played a true road game against a ranked SEC opponent and won convincingly. If they run the table, what more do they have to prove?

By the way Georgia fans, you can at least be comforted by this trend:

2009 - Oregon loses to Boise, wins the PAC, makes a BCS bowl

2010 - VT loses to Boise, wins the ACC, makes a BCS bowl

2011 - Georgia loses to Boise...

Even though, if I had to choose one, my favorite SEC team would be Florida, I'll be pulling for the Dawgs.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Fine. I'm not the official UT rep on the CCSLC. My opinions are my own. I'm in favor of saving the Big 12, though I think it's toast. The stupid LHN (Longhorn Network) has pissed of a lot of people. We had opening night with around 5% of the city getting the game feed, which is really, really stupid.

UT is being put in it's place, and I'm OK with it. Being independent would kill them. As you said, we'd get a few big time games a year, play a cupcake schedule and beg for BCS consideration.

I bet you that if Texas ends up an independent that they'd be treated like Notre Dame, and get an auto bid for top 8. In fact, they might make it the highest independent that's top 8.

LvZYtbZ.png

Archived