2011NCAA Football Thread

Gary

Halftime at Morgantown. The WVU O-Line looks horrible. No run game at all, Geno feeling all sort of pressure. He looks good though, getting out of some tough spots to get good passes away. The defence looks strong, minus that last drive of the half. Hopefully Holgs can light a fire under those linemen for the 2nd half.

1zqy8ok.gif

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calling the Georgia Dome a "neutral site" game for Georgia is flat-out laughable.

Distance from Sanford Stadium to Georgia Dome: 72 miles

Distance from Bronco Stadium to Georgia Dome: 2,174 miles

Who cares what their record is in that building? The fact of the matter is that the venue was in the state of Georgia and the stadium was filled with 95% Georgia fans. There was nothing "neutral" about that environment.

For the Georgia players, coaches, and staff, this was not a home game. They spent a couple nights in a hotel room, practiced away from home, and all the other small differences that are distinctly different between playing at home and not playing at home.

Arguing about distance between the two schools and the Georgia Dome is nullified by the fact that those from Boise were here all week (trust me...I work downtown). No way Boise has 10,000 fans here if this game were held in October and Boise having played the week before. Not to mention that many of the lower-bowl seats were given to sponsors of the game (many of which just so happen to be based in Georgia and be staffed with Georgia fans).

This was a definite bowl game feel to the game. Aside from the louder cheers in the stands, there was nothing "home" about this game for the Georgia football team.

Keep in mind Georgia is not too popular in the Atlanta, it is the home of their major rival Georgia Tech.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Calling the Georgia Dome a "neutral site" game for Georgia is flat-out laughable.

Who cares what their record is in that building? The fact of the matter is that the venue was in the state of Georgia and the stadium was filled with 95% Georgia fans. There was nothing "neutral" about that environment.

For the Georgia players, coaches, and staff, this was not a home game. They spent a couple nights in a hotel room, practiced away from home, and all the other small differences that are distinctly different between playing at home and not playing at home.

Arguing about distance between the two schools and the Georgia Dome is nullified by the fact that those from Boise were here all week (trust me...I work downtown). No way Boise has 10,000 fans here if this game were held in October and Boise having played the week before. Not to mention that many of the lower-bowl seats were given to sponsors of the game (many of which just so happen to be based in Georgia and be staffed with Georgia fans).

This was a definite bowl game feel to the game. Aside from the louder cheers in the stands, there was nothing "home" about this game for the Georgia football team.

Keep in mind Georgia is not too popular in the Atlanta, it is the home of their major rival Georgia Tech.

Not even close. Way more UGA fans in Atlanta than Tech fans.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

You've never been to Atlanta, have you?

The 'Dawgs own Atlanta even with GT there.

niagaraq.png

I dunno, playing a game nearly 2,000 miles away from home in front of a clearly hostile crowd is pretty much as close to a true road game as you can get without playing the game in Sanford Stadium.

I say we just call it a semi-road game for Boise and end it with that.

LvZYtbZ.png

I dunno, playing a game nearly 2,000 miles away from home in front of a clearly hostile crowd is pretty much as close to a true road game as you can get without playing the game in Sanford Stadium.

I say we just call it a semi-road game for Boise and end it with that.

Fair enough.

It's actually hard to find a Georgia Tech fan, no matter where you are in Georgia...even on Tech's campus.

It's not equally split like a lot of in-state rivalries (Auburn/Bama, Clemson/Carolina, North Carolina/Duke, FSU/Florida, etc).

Hooray! Another Weather Delay!

I don't know what it is with this summer. Two Toronto FC games were suspended because of lightning. Three games yesterday, and now one today. I don't remember this many sporting events being affected by lightning in one season. But obviously these are all the correct calls. No need to risk lives for a sporting event.

1zqy8ok.gif

False.

Kinda random tangent:

And yet Jacksonville is 'neutral' for the UGA vs. Florida game?

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

Hooray! Another Weather Delay!

I don't know what it is with this summer. Two Toronto FC games were suspended because of lightning. Three games yesterday, and now one today. I don't remember this many sporting events being affected by lightning in one season. But obviously these are all the correct calls. No need to risk lives for a sporting event.

Eh, right now at least, we're dealing with record heat causing pop-up storms as well as the cold front moving through.

6fQjS3M.png

I find that surprising I would think Atlanta would be the heart of Tech Country.

While Tech's campus is in fact located in the city of Atlanta, its fanbase is dwarfed across the entire state by UGA. You are correct in one aspect though i guess. Since all the students and teachers are in Atlanta a large percentage of the Tech fanbase could be assumed to be inhabiting the area. Generally speaking, if you were to walk the streets of Atlanta, (in my experiences) the ratio of UGA to Tech fans is 3-1 uga. Thats just my own personal observation.

Braves.jpg

BigMac's posts make me want to punch babies.

Hockey is weird and I love it.

For all the pre-season hype thrown A&M's way, the only reasons it's a 6 point lead right now are SMU's mistakes.

....but the strong finish to last season...*

*-does not include Cotton Bowl smack down at the hands of Les Miles.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6'8 Estonian Margus Hunt with 2 PAT blocks tonight for SMU. A&M's offense is doing their job now despite fewer mistakes by SMU. SMU has been hurting themselves mainly by not scoring now.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Scary news out of Morgantown. They just said on ESPN that a fan got hit by a lightining strike during the first weather delay in the Marshall-WVU game.

At this point, both sides are better off calling the game now. It has gotten to the point where fans aren't safe at the stadium, not to mention the players, and when both the players and the fans aren't safe then you just call the game off.

Archived