Montreal Impact changing their logo for MLS

Evil Doctor

Not to open up that can of worms again, but I actually like the name "Real Montreal." Call it me, but I would prefer that a team representing an area where French is the primary language to have a name that's more in line with French naming conventions.

Having a Spanish name in a French place isn't that good

Well Montreal is French for "Mt. Royal" so it wouldn't be totally out of left field.

"Royal Mount Royal"... What's next, Saint Paul Saints? :)

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to open up that can of worms again, but I actually like the name "Real Montreal." Call it me, but I would prefer that a team representing an area where French is the primary language to have a name that's more in line with French naming conventions.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Real was the same in French as it is in Spanish, hence the "real" in Montreal ("Mount Royal" ...as Ice_cap alluded to). I like it because it's a more soccer-friendly allusion to the Montreal Royals name used by the city's minor league baseball club before the Expos came to town.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Real was the same in French as it is in Spanish, hence the "real" in Montreal ("Mount Royal" ...as Ice_cap alluded to). I like it because it's a more soccer-friendly allusion to the Montreal Royals name used by the city's minor league baseball club before the Expos came to town.

You're mistaken. Just asked my francophone wife, she says it's 'royale'...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Well there is the fact that real is the "royal" portion of Montreal. I think the use of real and royale depends on the context.

Ok so according to Wikipedia (I know, I know) "real" was royal in Middle French. "Royale" is royal in modern French.

Royale Montreal would't be to bad though.

Also, I don't buy the "we have to go with a name that's the same in English and French to appeal to everyone" story. You're already alienating Anglophones with the blue and white/FDL identity.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a traditionally-shaped shield with the "Impact" wordmark running at an upward diagonal across it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Looks like a traditionally-shaped shield with the "Impact" wordmark running at an upward diagonal across it.

I agree--not too promising...

montreal-1.jpg

Could be a red herring, but I don't think MLS teams are clever enough.

perhaps this with the "Impact" larger (and maybe some 3D effect to the wordmark)?

montreal%20impact.gif

If so, this is not cool...they needed to lose that damn slanted wordmark.

Archived