Evil Doctor

Montreal Impact changing their logo for MLS

Not to open up that can of worms again, but I actually like the name "Real Montreal." Call it me, but I would prefer that a team representing an area where French is the primary language to have a name that's more in line with French naming conventions.

Having a Spanish name in a French place isn't that good

Well Montreal is French for "Mt. Royal" so it wouldn't be totally out of left field.

"Royal Mount Royal"... What's next, Saint Paul Saints? :)

Not to open up that can of worms again, but I actually like the name "Real Montreal." Call it me, but I would prefer that a team representing an area where French is the primary language to have a name that's more in line with French naming conventions.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Real was the same in French as it is in Spanish, hence the "real" in Montreal ("Mount Royal" ...as Ice_cap alluded to). I like it because it's a more soccer-friendly allusion to the Montreal Royals name used by the city's minor league baseball club before the Expos came to town.

I could be mistaken, but I thought Real was the same in French as it is in Spanish, hence the "real" in Montreal ("Mount Royal" ...as Ice_cap alluded to). I like it because it's a more soccer-friendly allusion to the Montreal Royals name used by the city's minor league baseball club before the Expos came to town.

You're mistaken. Just asked my francophone wife, she says it's 'royale'...

Well there is the fact that real is the "royal" portion of Montreal. I think the use of real and royale depends on the context.

Wikipedia (Amrriku's news source): Mont Réal as it was spelled in Middle French,[10] (Mont Royal in present French).

So, Royal Mount Royal. Does it have a Department of Redundancy Department?

Well there is the fact that real is the "royal" portion of Montreal. I think the use of real and royale depends on the context.

Ok so according to Wikipedia (I know, I know) "real" was royal in Middle French. "Royale" is royal in modern French.

Royale Montreal with Cheese?

The Angels Angels.

The Angels Angels.

Of Anaheim.

Royale Montreal would't be to bad though.

Also, I don't buy the "we have to go with a name that's the same in English and French to appeal to everyone" story. You're already alienating Anglophones with the blue and white/FDL identity.

new logo to be unveiled this Saturday

new logo to be unveiled this Saturday

Well here's an idea of what the crest will look like:

logo%202012_eng%20copy.jpg

Will they be releasing it during their game (Go Stars! Beat the hacking goons!) or earlier during the day?

Will they be releasing it during their game (Go Stars! Beat the hacking goons!) or earlier during the day?

They will unveil the new crest at halftime.

Source

Looks like a traditionally-shaped shield with the "Impact" wordmark running at an upward diagonal across it.

Looks like a traditionally-shaped shield with the "Impact" wordmark running at an upward diagonal across it.

I agree--not too promising...

montreal-1.jpg

Could be a red herring, but I don't think MLS teams are clever enough.

I agree--not too promising...

montreal-1.jpg

Could be a red herring, but I don't think MLS teams are clever enough.

perhaps this with the "Impact" larger (and maybe some 3D effect to the wordmark)?

montreal%20impact.gif

If so, this is not cool...they needed to lose that damn slanted wordmark.

I can see it being on some kind of ribbon too.