Montreal Impact changing their logo for MLS

Evil Doctor

3. Toronto FC: They don't even have a name. How can they have an identity. Awful logo. No matter why BMO made eveything to sponsor another team.

Quick, someone tell Liverpool they don't have an identity!

I actually "loled" at this.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This in the release article kinda surprised me...

Also of note, the new jersey, which will bear the new club logo as well as the Bank of Montreal (BMO) logo, the presenting partner of the Impact in MLS, will be unveiled next November.

Toronto getting a jersey sponsor next year??

Not unheard of, but still pretty surprising news.

image-1-for-rangers-v-celtic-may-9th-2009-gallery-171041183.jpg

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yeah, but that's the rare case where a city is split down the middle in a rivalry so heated that a company, in sponsoring just one, would lose as much business from fans of the other team as they would gain from the sponsorship. One company has to sponsor both.

I doubt that such a situation exists between Impact Montreal and Toronto FC.

Not a fan of the new Impact logo. The font choices are off, and the motto at the top is unnecessary. It reminds me of a lot of the local youth clubs in my area that have recently tried to go "Euro" with their logos, but failed to get a decent design. If they changed the font on the banner and lost the motto, it'd be much better. MLS was on a roll recently with some very nice logos... RSL, TFC, Union, Seattle, Whitecaps, Timbers, but we have a miss here. I was hoping they'd keep the shape of the fleur de lys instead of adopting a standard crest shape.

I don't like to toot my own horn, but I'd like to think my fleur de lys with the subliminal "M" concept was better:

impacti.png

Yeah, Sounders/Timbers/Whitecaps aren't exactly good name either, but all of those have current history behind them; likewise with Montreal. If they'd renamed to something else in the process, it would have been highly disappointing.

Right and wrong. Sounders/timbers/whitecaps all have current history behind them, but it's the rich history behind them that makes it work. 1975 does not equal 1993. Impact works for a hockey or American football team, but not soccer. Lets not call up an ugly part of the beautiful Game. And the crest is whack. The post about youth teams going euro hit the nail on the head.

Count me as a fan of the new logo too. I think the gradient was more for promotional purposes, I can't see it staying full-time. Despite the obvious similarities to SKC, I think it works.

teamlogossig.png

There comes a point when you don't stand for the constant heartbreak anymore, and walk away.

I'm no French expert, so maybe someone else with more experience can help, but is it the motto "everything to gain" or "everything to win". I realize the two are somewhat synonymous, but "everything to gain seems more apropos.

Also, count me as a fan of the logo, though I'm hoping the gradient isn't here to stay.

So, MLS is a Bank Gothic league now, is it?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3. Toronto FC: They don't even have a name. How can they have an identity. Awful logo. No matter why BMO made eveything to sponsor another team.

Yeah, that was a fairly ignorant remark.

Ha yeah, ask yourselves a second why lots of MLS concessions choose to pick a team name like Columbus, New England, Los Angeles etc... They are all ignorant and Madrid are ignorant to have a team name like Real. Toronto had a soccer tradition and they buried it.

So go cheer for the Football club, great!

You were ignorant to post my comment was ignorant you (word removed by author to avoid editing by third party) and son of a (word removed by author for same reason). Did you ever attend a soccer game in Europe? I did.

Yes, I do. Every year - I have season tickets to the Arsenal. And claiming that "_____ FC" is not an identity remains an ignorant remark.

And the fact that you had to resort to personal attacks (remember, I called your remark ignorant, not you) tells me that you know it.

So I assume I'm in the minority that likes this logo?

Doesn't look like we are at all.

I'm no French expert, so maybe someone else with more experience can help, but is it the motto "everything to gain" or "everything to win". I realize the two are somewhat synonymous, but "everything to gain seems more apropos.

Also, count me as a fan of the logo, though I'm hoping the gradient isn't here to stay.

No, look at the english french dictionary. Tous means eveyone, tout means eveything.

Stop saying this is Everything to win, you are wrong.

So its Tous pour gagner, Everyone for win.

Yes, I do. Every year - I have season tickets to the Arsenal. And claiming that "_____ FC" is not an identity remains an ignorant remark.

And the fact that you had to resort to personal attacks (remember, I called your remark ignorant, not you) tells me that you know it.

So I assume I'm in the minority that likes this logo?

Doesn't look like we are at all.

OK then, your comment is non sense, stupid, ignorant, and irrelevant.

You could post you don't agree with me. You posted my comment was ignorant. So live with you post.

Okay I've gathered my thoughts and must say, that despite some minor design issues, I am a fan of the updated Montreal Impact logo. I appreciate the fact that the designers reflected on the amalgamation of the province of Quebec, city of Montreal and the Impact's histories as these elements are intricately woven into the crest.

However, what bothers me the most are the two-toned fleur de lis, the use of multiple font types on the crest, and the inclusion of a motto.

In addition, the new Impact logo is far better than the logos that represent the Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, Red Bull New York, Toronto FC, CD Chivas USA, San Jose Earthquakes, Portland Timbers (first and second versions), Sporting Kansas City (though it is a clone), Houston Dynamo, and D.C. United.

Ha yeah, ask yourselves a second why lots of MLS concessions choose to pick a team name like Columbus, New England, Los Angeles etc... They are all ignorant and Madrid are ignorant to have a team name like Real. Toronto had a soccer tradition and they buried it.

Toronto had no soccer tradition to speak of prior to Toronto FC.

Toronto FC's fan support comes from the fact that Toronto has a diverse ethnic makeup, many of its residents having roots in communities that hail from countries where soccer is the top sport. In these countries teams name themselves _________ FC all the time. Giving Toronto a standard North American style name like those used by Columbus, New England, and Los Angeles will just come off as minor league like to fans who grew up watching teams from the elite leagues the world over. The name Toronto FC, in contrast, sounds like the name a top tier soccer organization would use.

You were ignorant to post my comment was ignorant you (word removed by author to avoid editing by third party) and son of a (word removed by author for same reason).

This is hilarious. You're not going to last long if you keep personally insulting posters who disagree with you, self censoring or not.

Did you ever attend a soccer game in Europe? I did.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. But kudos.

Of course the context is not the same. You are not seriously comparing rich history Euro teams like Liverpool to fresh born Toronto?

I am just saying my opinion which is there is no point in creating a new pro soccer team and name it Toronto FC in the particular context of a fresh team starting up. Whats Toronto's record in the MLS?

Now, nobody here realized that 16 out of the current 18 MLS teams decided to pick a name.

OK, now lets watch FC Dallas against Toronto FC. Funny is'n it.

So, I hope you had fun and pleasure tring to make rid of my post. Think marketing. You live in America, not in Europe, and concessions have no history.

Have a good day.

Toronto FC's fan support comes from the fact that Toronto has a diverse ethnic makeup, many of its residents having roots in communities that hail from countries where soccer is the top sport. In these countries teams name themselves _________ FC all the time. Giving Toronto a standard North American style name like those used by Columbus, New England, and Los Angeles will just come off as minor league like to fans who grew up watching teams from the elite leagues the world over. The name Toronto FC, in contrast, sounds like the name a top tier soccer organization would use.

You were ignorant to post my comment was ignorant you (word removed by author to avoid editing by third party) and son of a (word removed by author for same reason).

This is hilarious. You're not going to last long if you keep personally insulting posters who disagree with you, self censoring or not.

Did you ever attend a soccer game in Europe? I did.

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. But kudos.

Toronto had franchises in the NASL many years ago.

I have the right to reply to somebody who post my comments are "fairly ignorant". I know what ignorant means, despite this is not my mother tongue.

Show me the personnal insult I made? Where is it?

Of course the context is not the same. You are not seriously comparing rich history Euro teams like Liverpool to fresh born Toronto?

What I'm saying is that there's no reason why Toronto can't build up a legacy like Liverpool. It won't happen overnight, but why shouldn't they try to emulate a top tier club like Liverpool? It's certainly an organization to look to if you're looking to build a successful soccer club.

I am just saying my opinion which is there is no point in creating a new pro soccer team and name it Toronto FC in the particular context of a fresh team starting up.

Well, and this is my opinion, I disagree with you.

Whats Toronto's record in the MLS?

Like your "I've been to a soccer game in Europe" comment this has nothing to do with anything.

Now, nobody here realized that 16 out of the current 18 MLS teams decided to pick a name.

Toronto FC is a traditional style name. As is DC United, Houston Dynamo, Real Salt Lake, FC Dallas, Club Deportivo Chivas USA, Sporting Kansas City, etc...

OK, now lets watch FC Dallas against Toronto FC. Funny is'n it.

Not really.

Think marketing. You live in America, not in Europe, and concessions have no history.

First, I thinking marketing. When your fanbase is used to watching the top premier leagues the world over it makes more sense to name your team Toronto FC then something like Toronto Blizzard.

Secondly, I live in Canada, not America. And you do too ;) If you want to build a top tier soccer club you have look like a top tier soccer club, and the name Toronto FC helps in that regard.

The NASL was a joke, and Toronto's tenure in the NASL is hardly something that deserves to be honoured.

I have the right to reply to somebody who post my comments are "fairly ignorant". I know what ignorant means, despite this is not my mother tongue.

I understand that, English not being your mother tongue, there might have been a mis-communication. Goth didn't call you ignorant. He called your post ignorant. There's a difference. Saying that naming a team ________ FC means they don't have an identity is an ignorant remark to make.

Here it is....

Self censored or not, you still resorted to personal insults.

Nous sommes libres d'être en désaccord, c'est très bien.

The NASL was a joke, and Toronto's tenure in the NASL is hardly something that deserves to be honoured.

I understand that, English not being your mother tongue, there might have been a mis-communication. Goth didn't call you ignorant. He called your post ignorant. There's a difference. Saying that naming a team ________ FC means they don't have an identity is an ignorant remark to make.

Here it is....

Self censored or not, you still resorted to personal insults.

Nous sommes libres d'être en désaccord, c'est très bien.

Thanks for your comments. I do not agree entirely but this is certainly more constructive.

That said, despite the poor season in MTL, I can't wait to watch MLS and yes its gonna be fun to watch MTL VS TOR.

Also, I read a comment on the BMO sponsorship. The way I understand it, BMO will sponsor both Toronto and Montreal. It's a bit special but at the same time, a good move by them.

I was convinced another major finance group would have go to war to sponsor the Impact, like Royal bank etc... but, probably BMO told the Impact owners they would systematicly make better offer then everybody else..

Good weekend.

Archived