Favorite Sports Broadcasters

sportsfan0518

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keith Hernandez is the king of cool and not beyond being critical of players on the Mets. He is a homer but he calls out players when they play bad.

He also takes naps while the game's in progress....

You would too if you worked for the Mets.

Keith Hernandez is the king of cool and not beyond being critical of players on the Mets. He is a homer but he calls out players when they play bad.

He also takes naps while the game's in progress....

You would too if you worked for the Mets.

Maybe that's why the Mets players aren't doing so well???

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And while I'm not a Phillies' fan, Harry Kalas was the man. It's just not the same watching a game on TV anymore.

I met Harry on a couple of occasions. Not only a great broadcaster, but a genuinely nice person.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Being from Milwaukee, I have a natural soft spot for Mr. Baseball himself, Bob Uecker. Although I feel pretty confident in saying I'd still enjoy his work even if I were born somewhere else. There's a reason he was usually called upon to do the World Series before Fox took over. And what baseball fan doesn't get the urge to quote Harry Doyle ("juuuuust a bit outside") after a wild pitch?

But my favorite sports broadcaster of all time is Howard Coselle, hands down. He wasn't a "sports guy" so much as he was a journalist who happened to focus on sport... a dying breed (if not an outright dodo bird) in an era where cutesy catch-phrases and transparent posturing are more important than any type of serious analysis when it comes to sports or social issues.

And of course, how can you like Coselle without loving Dandy Don Meredith? Yes, they hated each other and were in clear contrast with how seriously they took their jobs (Meredith used to smoke doobs before MNF went on the air and once said "where they're a mile high and so am I!" during a Broncos home game), but both men were just professional enough to tolerate the other and allow their banter to bring pro football into the American mainstream.

I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but Hawk Harrelson. Best home run call in the business.

When the other team hits a homerun or wins, he starts crying. He also has an annoying strikeout call. HEGONNNE is so annoying.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Bob Uecker is terrific. Pat Hughes with the Cubs studied under Uecker, and you can hear a lot of common traits in their broadcasting. I always make a point of listening to the TMJ call of Brewers-Cubs games for a change of pace.

I really really want to like Marty Brennaman, because objectively he's a very talented baseball broadcaster, but I dunno, he's just sort of a penis, y'know?

I like John Forslund a lot for hockey. Dave Strader is pretty good, I like his voice, but he struggles with decisively identifying goals:

"It's in the net...?...!"

I can't tolerate shrill hockey announcers. Even when the pictures do the talking, they still have to speak a lot, and often excitedly, and man, I can't do an excited Doc Emrick/Joe Beninati. I just can't.

The natural conclusion of Doc Emrick.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Chuck Swirsky, now with the Bulls, but I first heard him when he was with the Raptors. "ONIONS, BABY, ONIONS!"

Joe Bowen and Mike Lange for hockey.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Why does Chuck Swirsky sound like all his sentences are constructed word-by-word from an extensive prerecorded database?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll definitely second Emrick. Few announcers are as energetic as he is.

As for basketball, the combination of Marv Albert and Steve Kerr is music to my ears. Kudos to whoever made the decision that resulted in them calling Arizona's first two NCAA tourney games this year.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Jim Robson and Tom Larscheid were the gold standard for Canuck's play by play. Robson retired ages ago, but the way Larscheid was forced out because apparently Canucks management didn't like his honest, and passionate criticism of the team when they were bad was shameful.

The guy they got to replace him, Dave Tomlison has about as much personality as cardboard, and is less entertaining. He's billed as a "former NHLer" which is extremely rich for a guy who played 40 games total in his NHL "career" over four seasons. He's incredibly awkward and stilted sounding.

As for basketball, the combination of Marv Albert and Steve Kerr is music to my ears. Kudos to whoever made the decision that resulted in them calling Arizona's first two NCAA tourney games this year.

It was happenstance that Turner/CBS had an announcer with a team with a commentator there. You and your homer a$$ got lucky.

You prove that you are a homer again.

It was happenstance that Turner/CBS had an announcer with a team with a commentator there. You and your homer a$$ got lucky.

That's why I phrased it that way. I didn't say "whoever assigned Albert and Kerr to those games" because I know that's not how it works. I said whoever made the decision that resulted in them... Maybe I should have included an "eventually" to make it clearer for you.

Nice try, though.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

It was happenstance that Turner/CBS had an announcer with a team with a commentator there. You and your homer a$ got lucky.

That's why I phrased it that way. I didn't say "whoever assigned Albert and Kerr to those games" because I know that's not how it works. I said whoever made the decision that resulted in them... Maybe I should have included an "eventually" to make it clearer for you.

Nice try, though.

If I can throw your "offsides" that soon. Poor you. Even younger posters are more mature.

If I can throw your "offsides" that soon.

...what.

Rod Allen - Detroit Tigers

Love him, he always has a different word for something "He hit a seed up the middle"

George Blaha - Detroit Pistons

Very exciting to listen to, "He hits the rainbow three!" "It's a kisser of the glass!"

Detroit fans back me up on this.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Archived