Favorite Sports Broadcasters

sportsfan0518

Simple, who is your favorite sportscaster(s)? You can say why you like them and/or at a youtube link of your favorite calls of them. Here are mine:

Gary Thorne (duh) One of the best voices I have ever heard. Great baseball and hockey announcer. He also called favorite sports call of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8up-tkxZ4r8

Marv Albert His "Yes!" is legendary and love hearing him during Nets games.

Gus Johnson If you hate Gus Johnson, something is wrong with you. He has so much passion it is unreal.

Ian Eagle Love watching him during Nets games and has a great voice.

Jon Miller Summer Sunday night + Jon Miller = perfect. Only video I could find of him: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ94rkwdTvQ

Who are yours?

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jack Edwards. Period.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Gary Thorne, Marv Albert, Ian Eagle, Jon Miller are all good selections, but I'd have to also include Al Michaels, Bob Costas, Brent Musburger, Keith Jackson, and Verne Lundquist too.

Gus Johnson... uh, no, not at all. To me, I find him annoying, regardless of his passion, he's the football-version of John Kelly and Peter McNab on the old Colorado Avalanche broadcasts, and how they used to resort to incoherent screaming whenever the Avalanche got into the offensive zone. To me, I'd rather deal with the bland, linguistic stylings of a Joe Buck or Tom Hammond, than someone who screams like an idiot when something happens. I mean there's a certain level of professionalism needed when broadcasting a sporting event, and the number one rule of broadcasting is to broadcast the event, not become the event.

My favorite sportscasters are the broadcasters that call all my favorite team's games on local TV or radio <-- archetypal CCSLC response, that is all.

Actually, this is not entirely true on my part, because I despise Jon Miller.

I think that you are right, with regional television and the young average age of this board, the people which they have heard the most will be those who they like most. But Joe Buck will be remembered as the voice of this generation if not a generation plus. FOX took Joe Buck over Thom Brennaman, Kenny Albert

To the OP, I did think of this thread, but for the analyst.

In terms of this thread, those who I think are the best are (still living in no particular odrer):

Pat Summerall: He is, along with Keith Jackson, my favorite. Plus, he was "a drink away from dying". His recovery is something which I admire. Next to Tompkins, he is the best man I have ever met. Pat recorded the message on my voicemail twice and for a worker of mine so I appreciate him ever since.

Jim Lampley: If I needed a "neutral" guy, I would go to Lampley. He is really good and has had the experience of being a news anchor in a top market to tell the story.

Brent Musberger: I did not like him on the NFL Today and with CBS, but his move to ABC made me appreciate 'Uncle Brent' and Saturdays. He is a homer, he drinks, he loves co-eds, and he loves Budweiser in Montana!

Verne Lindquist: SEC Football on CBS; Sponsored by The Home Depot in Dobly 5.1. And he is a golf guy.

Keith Jackson: He is great, buy retired.

Gus Johnson: He is Gus!

Those I do like include: Charlie Jones (deceased); Mike Patrick; Marv Albert, Barry Tompkins (underrated); Marty and Thom Brennaman; Ralph Strangis; Vin Scully

I have left five to seven others out, who are very good at their jobs but they cannot be in the top for me.

Sticking to baseball since it's the sport I watch the most, my non-Met favorite is Vin Scully. I also like the Brewers pbp guy, Brian Anderson. I've watched/listened to him on mlb.tv and he's also on TBS sometimes. On the other hand Ken Harrelson (White Sox TV) and John Sterling (Yankees radio) are unlistenable.

Martin Tyler, John Helm, Mike Joy, Keith Jackson (retired), Bob Cole, Jim Nantz, Buck Martinez, Brent Musberger.

Tyler first, then the rest in no particular order.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Of the Americans I've heard, Vin Scully is great, but like a lot of guys who learn there trade on Radio, he does talk a bit toooo much. Al Michaels is good, the CBC guy whose doing the Stanley Cup Finals, and I feel I should know his name, is good. Pat Summerall was good.

For analysis, John Madden, Jon Gruden, are good. I quite like Rick Sutcliffe.

Names lots of Americans may not be so familiar with: Martin Tyler, Richie Benaud, Eddie Butler are names that come to mind.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Gary Thorne&Jim Palmer

Gus Johnson

Ian Eagle: he was excellent during the NCAA basketball championships.

Joe Beninati

Harold Reynolds (not anymore)

Brent Musberger during college football season.

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

Per sport -

Basketball: Easy, Hot Rod Hundley, former broadcaster for the Jazz. I grew up listening to him on the TV and Radio, and he was the voice of basketball for me. He's retired now, but no one will ever beat him to me.

Football: I'll go with Al Michaels. He's been around a long time and has called some great games.

Baseball: Joe Buck. I know some don't like him for whatever reason, but truth of the matter is that he's been the "big game" broadcaster throughout my lifetime, so I usually associate him with great baseball.

Hockey - Gary Thorne, easy. He brought a whole different element to a game when he called it, it's hard to explain. The 2003 Mighty Ducks/Devils Stanley Cup Final is the perfect example of that. His calls, from Brodeur losing his stick in Game 3(?) to the Kariya comeback, helped make that series one of the best in recent memory (even though I hated the end result :(). If it were anyone else calling that series, it just wouldn't have been the same. Also, if I'm not mistaken, didn't he call Game 4 of the 1996 Colorado/Florida Finals? That game's usually regarded as one of the best of all time. I was too young to remember it, but I'm sure he had some great calls in that one, too.

Collegiate Sports - For basketball, I like Jim Nantz and Gus Johnson. Nantz is all around great and a big-game guy, while I can't help but love Gus's passion for what he does. You can tell the guy loves calling big games, and you gotta admire that. For football, it's Brent Musburger in a runaway. Keith Jackson was around when I was just a little kid, so I don't remember him very well. Thus, Musburger is my "big-game" college football guy. You know when he's behind the mic, it's a game worth watching. And, he's the voice of the Rose Bowl for me. Anyone else is just strange (had to listen to this past bowl on the radio that day because I didn't have ESPN where I was....it just wasn't the same. I can't even remember who called it for the radio.)

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Count me among the Gary Thorne fans for hockey. Not baseball. I also cannot hide my homerism for Joe Beninati. I've met the man and theres noone more passionate about the game of hockey and his team the Capitals.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

My favorite sportscasters are the broadcasters that call all my favorite team's games on local TV or radio <-- archetypal CCSLC response, that is all.

Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious. I think a lot of fans like broadcasters who they associate with their team.

I actually really like Jon Miller. I loved him on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball with Joe Morgan, and I loved him on O's radio in the 1990s. He's way better than our current radio guy (Joe Angel) and the current boring guys who do ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. Miller and Morgan provided some character.

I like sportscasters for perennially losing teams. To me that's probably the most challenging position for a broadcaster - to make a bad team seem exciting. Somehow the Wizards announcers do a decent job at it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Yeah, I think that's pretty obvious. I think a lot of fans like broadcasters who they associate with their team.

I actually really like Jon Miller. I loved him on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball with Joe Morgan, and I loved him on O's radio in the 1990s. He's way better than our current radio guy (Joe Angel) and the current boring guys who do ESPN Sunday Night Baseball. Miller and Morgan provided some character.

I wish the O's would take Miller back. I can't stand his style and I can not for the life of me understand why he is revered the way he is. Angel worked for the Giants briefly as well and no he really isn't anything special either.

Archived