2011-12 European football thread

Viper

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only thing that would've made today better was Bolton winning and staying up.

Why?

Fabrice Muamba's club staying up after the year they've had? Joey Barton costing his club PL football by being a typical ass-clown?

Not just that, but having Americans Stu Holden and Tim Ream playing Premier League football again next year would be beneficial for the USMNT.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Why?

Fabrice Muamba's club staying up after the year they've had? Joey Barton costing his club PL football by being a typical ass-clown?

Completely disagree. Muamba's life is waaaaaaay more important than the league any team will have to play in and thankfully he is ok. He or anyone's life is infinitely more important than football.

Bolton had 38 games to not finish in the bottom three. They couldn't get at least 17th out of 20 teams. They couldn't, even hang on to a 2-1 lead on the last day, against Stoke, a team who had nothing to play for, regardless of Barton.

So Bolton should be relegated.

Why?

Completely disagree. Muamba's life is waaaaaaay more important than the league any team will have to play in and thankfully he is ok. He or anyone's life is infinitely more important than football.

Bolton had 38 games to not finish in the bottom three. They couldn't get at least 17th out of 20 teams. They couldn't, even hang on to a 2-1 lead on the last day, against Stoke, a team who had nothing to play for, regardless of Barton.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be relegated, but I'd have liked to see them stay up.

6fQjS3M.png

Why?

I'm not saying they shouldn't be relegated, but I'd have liked to see them stay up.

Fair enough.

I guess this is as good a place as any to ask this question:

Which is more significant for a team to win, their league championship, or the Champions League title? I mean, the developments today with the Premier League championship today were amazing, seeing Man City rally the way they did and rip the title right out from until United's nose. At the same rate, Chelsea, who finished 6th in the Premier League and 25 points behind both Manchester clubs, has a chance to win the Champions League title over Bayern Munich, which is the championship for Europe altogether.

I guess as someone who can never find these games on TV at a good time to watch them.

spacer.png

I would say Champions League. Probably the hardest tournament to win in the world, especially after you get out of the Group Stage. Much better overall talent, and to be crowned the champion of an entire continent is pretty big.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I would say Champions League. Probably the hardest tournament to win in the world, especially after you get out of the Group Stage. Much better overall talent, and to be crowned the champion of an entire continent is pretty big.

Not to mention the financial payout for Champions League is much higher.

But for Man City who hasnt won anything in so long, the League is just fine for them.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

When was the last time that all three teams that achieved promotion from the Championship all survived to stay in the Premier League the next season?

2001-02 I think. Fulham, Bolton, Blackburn.

And coincidentally, two of those three went down today, along with Wolves. And how about Wigan, who looked like a shoo-in for relegation from Day One of the season, not only staying up but doing so with several points to spare?

I JUST figured out why the developments here seemed so familiar in structure...

September 28, 2011. Aside from a few technical differences, the Red Sox thought they were going to get into the playoffs, and the Rays came back, and then in the space of three minutes, Boston finished their collapse and Tampa finished their shocking ascension to the playoffs.

I mean, Man U won today, but at the conclusion of their game, they probably thought they were through. And less than ONE MINUTE later, Man City guts them. Also fits another little brother shocking big brother-esque dynamic.

Meanwhile the Cesc Fabregas-as-LeBron James dynamic continues as well. Fabregas left Arsenal in part because he expected to win hardware with Barcelona and not with the Gunners. Well, just like LBJ in his first year with the Heat, Fabregas came up empty-handed once more (at least with the "big two" trophies for La Liga and the CL) in his first year back with FCB.

CCSLC signature.png

But for Man City who hasnt won anything in so long, the League is just fine for them.

I'm not sure that the financial payout for winning the Champions League is actually that great.

The other thing is that the domestic league is the players bread and butter. Week in week out players are aiming to win the domestic title. I don't know that players feel the same connection to the Champions League. Sure they want to win it, and certainly players want to play in the champions league, but I don't think it's many players be all and end all.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Can't speak for the players, but as a long-suffering City supporter winning the league was the most important thing to me. Winning the FA Cup last year was nice, and it'd be great to make some noise in the Champions League, but there's something about being EPL champs that's special (especially since we're only the 5th club to win).

I'm not sure that the financial payout for winning the Champions League is actually that great.

The other thing is that the domestic league is the players bread and butter. Week in week out players are aiming to win the domestic title. I don't know that players feel the same connection to the Champions League. Sure they want to win it, and certainly players want to play in the champions league, but I don't think it's many players be all and end all.

See, I think it means a lot to the players to be in the CL. Van Persie was subliminally coming out and saying that he wasn't going to return to Arsenal if they weren't going to be in the Champions League, Downing moved to Liverpool for a better shot at the CL, and countless other times, guys want to move to get to a Champions League competing side.

I've always thought that the Champions League was bigger.

6fQjS3M.png

See, I think it means a lot to the players to be in the CL. Van Persie was subliminally coming out and saying that he wasn't going to return to Arsenal if they weren't going to be in the Champions League, Downing moved to Liverpool for a better shot at the CL, and countless other times, guys want to move to get to a Champions League competing side.

I've always thought that the Champions League was bigger.

It is in some ways a bigger competition, certainly very prestigious to play in. But players want to play in the Champions League, rather than win it, just like players who are in championship teams want to play in the Premier League. It's the next step up. And certainly anyone playing in the Champions League wants to win it, but I think fans and players both see the domestic league as the bread and butter. Chelsea could lose the Champions League final and it would be a dissapointing season, I think if they were 2nd in the Premier League and lose the Champions League final it would be a success.

It is all comparative though. If Barcelona finished second in La Liga nad lost the Champions League final, thats a dissapointing season. Depends on the level of the team, and its history. Barca, Real Madrid, possibly Manchester United, expect success in Europe. I am not sure how United fans will think of this season, no impact in the CL, 2nd in the Premier League, no domestic cup runs. But still, seconds away from the Premier League title is decent.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Can't speak for the players, but as a long-suffering City supporter winning the league was the most important thing to me. Winning the FA Cup last year was nice, and it'd be great to make some noise in the Champions League, but there's something about being EPL champs that's special (especially since we're only the 5th club to win).

The look on Ferguson's face was the most important thing to me.

In all honesty I think it depends on the team. For teams who are 'used to' success, like Man United, Real, Barca the Champions League is king because it's a much tougher achievement for them to win. For a team like City, like Wolfsburg in Germany a couple of years ago, who are not used to success the league title is huge.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Wow. More than 24 hours after the fact & I'm still in shock of what I witnessed yesterday. The EXACT SCENARIO that I feared would happen to City in that match actually happened. Hell, I even had a nightmare on that Friday night/Saturday morning that QPR beat City, and with about 10 minutes left in the match I began to believe that I didn't just have a dream, it was a premonition.

Then Dzeko happened...then Aguero happened...then this happened.

2vxfuvm.jpg

Unbelievable. I almost feel guilty for celebrating this title victory like I did, because I don't deserve it. I'm just some American who hopped on the bandwagon 3 years ago because Emmanuel Adebayor scored a goal against Arsenal & decided to run all the way across the pitch to celebrate in front of his former club's stands, and did it in the most beautiful light blue jersey you'll ever see. I'm not somebody who stuck with the team even as they got relegated to the 3rd tier, & I'm not somebody who celebrated wildly when they beat Gillingham

to gain promotion to the 2nd tier. I'm not someone who got to witness City come back from 3 goals down @ White Hart Lane in a FA Cup game. I'm not someone who's had to endure loss after loss after loss to United. I'm not someone who was around for all of the rollercoaster craziness that has defined this club in its modern history. Those are the people who really deserve this, and I'm happy as hell that they got to celebrate that title yesterday (& in the parade today), even if City decided to do things the painfully, excruciatingly, yet ultimately blissfully hard way.

Now that both Spurs and Arsenal won...Let's go Bayern Munich next year!

But if Chelea wins the Champions League Final, they get a guaranteed spot next year, which means Spurs are out.

Yeah, meant to put next week instead of next year in that post. That final went from me casually watching to pulling for Bayern Munich after Spurs finished fourth.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived