Blue Jays to change uniforms for next season

whateverman42

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deathly afraid they're just going to have a maple leaf on their hats and that's it. Tell me I'm wrong.

It's been confirmed that you're wrong. The orig leak was of the hat logo under a generic word mark. The hat logo was the new bird.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Deathly afraid they're just going to have a maple leaf on their hats and that's it. Tell me I'm wrong.

It's been confirmed that you're wrong. The orig leak was of the hat logo under a generic word mark. The hat logo was the new bird.

True, but I believe someone hinted that there are two caps, with the other featuring that logo in front of a T.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

True, but I believe someone hinted that there are two caps, with the other featuring that logo in front of a T.

I hope not. The Blue Jays have never looked right with a T cap logo.

I hope not. The Blue Jays have never looked right with a T cap logo.

I agree. Teams should feature a location monogram on the caps most of the time, but there are exceptions. The Orioles, Blue Jays, White Sox, Indians and Athletics look right with the logo on their caps.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've said it several million times but the message isn't quite getting out there...

It's the 1993-96 set with leaked logo in place of the 1977-96 logo, updated font.

That is all.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

I've said it several million times but the message isn't quite getting out there...

It's the 1993-96 set with leaked logo in place of the 1977-96 logo, updated font.

That is all.

I guess that means only one cap. Do the jerseys still have the patch on the stomach?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I guess that means only one cap. Do the jerseys still have the patch on the stomach?

There's no point going retro if you're not going to use this...

toronto_blue_jays_cap.jpg

Not true. That hat will always exist to fans that love it and will always be available to purchase. I don't think the new retro look needs to have it exactly like that.

That is all.

And completely different shades of Blue.

You're wrong.

Awesome!

Having a T where the maple leaf is could've looked interesting, kinda maybe.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It saddens me that the white panel cap isn't coming back. That was a key component of their classic home set IMO, not sure why they ditched it midway through '93.

One thing that annoys me - those New Era reproductions don't even bother to make the stitching match the color of the fabric underneath it, so you're left with that hideous blue stitching around the edge of the white panel (as well as the blue stitching around the front eyelets). They do the same thing with all of the other throwback caps with contrasting front panels - Brewers road, Expos, Braves, Orioles, ChiSox, etc. It looks like absolute crap.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

It saddens me that the white panel cap isn't coming back. That was a key component of their classic home set IMO, not sure why they ditched it midway through '93.

They were having a rough go with it at home, but were having good luck with the the blue cap on the road. So they wore the all blue cap at home one game, won, and kept going with it.

I eagerly await this change from the Jays. The last revision was AWFUL.

On the white panel, I will tell you that in the early 90's, (when the blue hat was first introduced), it quickly became very popular. The white panel hats were seen as a reflection of the old "Exhibition Stadium" Jays. As time went on however the retro-appeal of the earlier hat came back. I distinctly remember even broadcasters commenting their preference for the all-blue hat and the crowds in SkyDome began to adopt the all-blue hat more and more. The players clearly stated their preference too, ultimately they decided on the change, somewhat organically.

From all reports, the Jays have finally heard what a lot of us fans have wanted. A return to the team's roots in terms of identity and style. What's great about the Jays look back then, is not only that it was distinctive, but it was also a reflection of the team's inception. Although the team updated their look on the move to SkyDome it still kept that distinctly late-70's feel, which felt right for Toronto, because in many ways this was when the city began to boom and become the world class city that it is now.

It's strange how fashion makes a difference. Perhaps Seinfeld is right, that in the end, you really are rooting for clothing. In the last few years, it has been harder and harder for me to embrace the ball team that I became infatuated with back in 1985. Even seeing Cito in the new gear, felt wrong and I remember how I'd give anything to see Cito's last game in the original gear, not that "Silver Jay" design (uggh glitter thread on baseball jerseys I hate you, Mariners you gotta get rid of yours too).

As for the comment about the blue thread on that white-panel cap, well-observed. In general, finding a really good retro-jersey and hat for Toronto is hard (I'd like a 93-style away-jersey, gray with "Toronto" stitched on the front). For some reason, it's easier to find Expos gear (and the Expos look just AWESOME with the white panel).

These things come down to taste, but all things being equal in that regard, generally a sports team does well to link to its history. History is part of what sells a sport. The FA Cup in England is still a GLORIOUS tournament because of its great history. The Edmonton Oilers seem somehow epic when they wear their real logo. Even that photo of the Montreal Alouettes someone posted in the CFL thread looks amazing when they dorn the outfit from the 70's. Now Montreal has had a wide array of colors and logos in the CFL, but the most iconic for me, is the one they recently sported in a game against Saskatchewan (at least apparently they did, I don't follow CFL anymore, but maybe if they embraced their original looks more I would).

Kudos to the Jays for adopting a more "historic" look, instead of some newfangled array of colors, imagery that will last four years before people get bored with it and wonder why they ever bought in the first place (see Miami Marlins, or that AWFUL green jersey the Seahawks wore).

I feel like I suddenly got my baseball team back with this move. I never thought a jersey would matter so much, but apparently it really does.

One thing that annoys me - those New Era reproductions don't even bother to make the stitching match the color of the fabric underneath it, so you're left with that hideous blue stitching around the edge of the white panel (as well as the blue stitching around the front eyelets). They do the same thing with all of the other throwback caps with contrasting front panels - Brewers road, Expos, Braves, Orioles, ChiSox, etc. It looks like absolute crap.

You are correct. Hopefully they don't make the same mistake on the new white panelled caps for the Orioles and whichever mystery team will be adding one. We will find out tomorrow for the Orioles.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived