NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 3)

TheOldRoman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why oh why are the Bears wearing their Buccaneers uniforms against the Packers? It's bad enough they exist at all, but why would the Chicago Bears choose their home game against their biggest rival to not look like the Chicago Bears? Furthermore, why do you wear neon orange against the team whose fans are known for wearing neon orange while shooting animals? This organization couldn't be more tone-deaf if the helmets had tin ears on the sides.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

With Falcons and Panthers both slated to wear throwbacks/alternates twice, guess the proposed new rule about once a year never fully enacted.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

I've never understood the argument that a team can't wear an alternate against their rivals because "they don't look like themselves". It's not like in hockey or basketball where the jersey design is completely different. In pro football, alternates are simply recolors of the normal jerseys. Considering that orange is one of the Bears' colors, I don't see how this doesn't "look like the Bears" and is unacceptable to wear against the Packers:

72336984_display_image.jpg

In fact, I think the Bears' orange jerseys look better than the regular navy ones.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

No, Admiral's right. You wear alternates for games against the Panthers. For big, national broadcasts against your historic rivals, you wear your best look, which is your primary uniforms. The Packers had the good sense to wear their acme throwbacks for a regional broadcast against a :censored:ty 49ers team last year. If the alternate uni is your best, then you make it your primary, but you always wear your primary for these games. I actually really like the look of the Bears' orange jerseys. However, they aren't Bears since the Bears have been basically wearing the same navy uniforms for 60 years. If the Bears were founded in 1993, I would love them in orange. However, it is best that these Bears keep the orange jerseys as fashion jerseys.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Panthers have released their jersey schedule...

link

Wow.....it's like they're the Cowboys of Dixieland........2 Blue, 3 Black, other 11 games white. That's almost 75% of the schedule

That is sad too because their black and blue jersey look great.

spacer.png

Saints are wearing 1968 throwbacks against Houston

317360_237822009598705_121195131261394_622546_655675312_n.jpg

Like their colors don't match with their current set.

Uh, yeah. They aren't supposed to. The Saints wore a different, richer shade of gold back then.

1273902311041.jpg

The pic of Kilmer above is from around 1969. I've tracked this down before and don't remember the details, but they wore this (fantastic) jersey for part of the '69 season. Here he is in action. And yes, he should have the NFL 50th anniversary shoulder patch but in true early Saints "Who's on first?" fashion they were only worn for part of the season.

1969_Saints-CowboysKilmer.jpg

This Sunday's throwbacks are the '67 unis (see sleeve stripes). Sadly, they don't use the best version of the original font, shown in the pic below.

Fears_1967.jpg

The jerseys are fairly accurate given that some players wore a different font similar to the one they'll wear Sunday.

Auto111.jpg

The away throwbacks they wore in 1994 for NFL-75 looked great, these aren't from the 60s, I'm guessing 70s?

Either way, they would have been a better choice, especially if they wore their throwback helmet which they didn't bother doing back in '94 ...

sf-v-no.jpg

Now those looked good.

1. Huh? Do you mean the original shade of gold? Cause otherwise, the only noticeable change to the helmet from '67 to '94 was slightly shrinking the FDL. The currently multi-outline FDL wasn't added until around 2000.

2. Yes they did, as did the black set when they last wore them (IIRC) vs. the Bucs in 2002. Wish they'd change the current uni pants stripe back to the original and widen the white stripe around the numbers too.

Saints02Throwbacks.jpg

Saints02Throwbacks2.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Weren't there gray facemasks then?

(regarding the non-throwback helmets worn in '94)

If the question is whether the throwback helmet should have had a gray mask, then yes, it should have (and did in '02), along with the king-size FDL. I didn't think of the mask.

They should go whole hog and not have NOBs or team names on the helmet bumpers, and no flags etc. on the helmets.

Didn't they wear the throwbacks in 02 without the league's approval? Am I remembering that correctly?

To my knowledge, the only "no approval" uniform issue the Saints have had is the '69 black helmet debacle.

As for now, the following exchange in Payton's Thursday press conference highlights the contrast between the Saints' uni approach (so low key it's no key) to say the Falcons, who had a photo shoot and big announcement when they decided to wear their throwbacks. I like Atlanta's approach better than the Saints' "whatever." BTW, if the Saints and Falcons ever coordinated to both wear their throwbacks, that would be a fantastic game to watch. Anyway, Payton's comments are below. I assume "Chief" is their equipment manager.

===

What do you think of the throwback uniforms?

"I haven't really seen them so I really don't know."

What led to the decision to wear them?

"I think probably just as a changeup. A lot of teams have done it and generally it's a just a chance to recognize the old uniform and probably a chance to sell more jerseys as well. I think it's a black throwback but I'm really not familiar with what they look like."

Fans seem to always want to know what you're wearing on Sunday.

"Most of the time during the Spring Chief will get a letter from the league and we'll come up with a plan in regards to jerseys and just stick with it and mix it up, but we probably don't give it as much thought as people would think."

===

Didn't they wear the throwbacks in 02 without the league's approval? Am I remembering that correctly?

I think I heard that somewhere. It was because in that same season, the Saints also wore the gold alternate against Minnesota.

Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar and that was the year they wore the horrific gold alt.

gold_black_3.jpg

I think I heard that somewhere. It was because in that same season, the Saints also wore the gold alternate against Minnesota.

Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar and that was the year they wore the horrific gold alt.

gold_black_3.jpg

Ah yes, their "Dallas Knights" uniforms. Awful. Thank goodness they at least had the good sense not to wear their gold pants with them or that would've been the silliest thing on an NFL field ever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Bengals will be in the their black jerseys against San Francisco on sunday. They've worn white pants for the first two games this season so I wouldn't be surprised if they went with black pants for week 3.

Do I know my team or do I know my team?

The stripes are in all black today.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Now that you mention it, that does sound familiar and that was the year they wore the horrific fantastic gold alt.

gold_black_3.jpg

FTFY.

I really wish the NFL didn't mandate white road uniforms, because the Saints could totally pull off black at home and gold on the road, IMO.

Im voting atrocious on those. Maybe, maybe if they had matched the gold to the helmet, it would have had a shot.

The Browns need to stop this madness!!! I used to love the all-white look when it was used occasionally, but this every game crap is beyond boring...words cannot describe how boring this look has already become and it's only Week 3. HATE THIS!!!

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Archived