NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 3)

TheOldRoman

Stunning? No I guess, but the new uniform looks great and really 'pops' as far as being vibrant on TV and print.

412d08cf129bb0f779e0ce425960e993-getty-126541445.jpg

That blue really makes me happy. The home look gets a solid "7" from me...

The road (white pants, bad sock stripes) gets a "5".

I agree with Vet on the weirdish sleeve stripes. That's what's keeping it from being a little better.

(Of course the look from the last few years was in the negative, so...)

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all of you saying the Bears orange alternate shouldn't be worn because their navy is soooooooo much better, think about this. OF COURSE the navy looks better, which is why they wear it 7/8 of the time. I have a favorite shirt, but I don't wear it every day. Does it look better than my other shirts? Yes. But variety is the spice of life. You can deal for one freakin' game, because some people do like it when teams don't wear white at home and grey on the road 162 games a season.

That's all well and good, but the one game they wear orange shouldn't be against their arch rivals.

I don't know if would call them "arch rivals", per se. It's not like they've played each other more than any two teams in NFL history.

Oh wait...

And BlueSky, as a fellow Saints fan, do you have to call Gleason a bastard? You couldn't use any other word there? I just associate calling someone a bastard as having a negative connotation.

Don't know how old you are but referring to someone as "that poor bastard" is an old school way of saying somebody who doesn't deserve it is having a rough time. Say a QB is getting sacked and knocked down constantly, you might say, "That poor bastard doesn't have a chance." I meant nothing negative by it.

From the Urban Dictionary:

"a guy who's in such a sh**ty situation that you feel sorry for him..."

Man#1: Saw your ex-wife down at the mall today.

Man#2: Really?

Man#1: Yeah, she was bitching out her new boyfriend.

Man#2: Better him than me. Poor bastard.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'd call the new Bills look "stunning." Even with the vestigal sleeve stripes, that's a beautiful uniform.

Agreed. It is stunning and one of the biggest uni improvements ever. That being said, they (or Nike) really needs to fix those sleeve stripes in the near future. They are not horrible, but need to be tweeked.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

As shown in this thread, The Saints uni's yesterday were awesome. They must use those full time in the near future. Just a great look. I also like the Redskins gold pants nowadays. Maybe they will wear them tonight.

I'm also loving those Bills home uniforms, not just because they are winning in them. Going back to the white helmet and royal blue was just so needed...and thankfully they did it.

I'm not digging the Saints look basically for all reasons that were given in this thread. Although if they wanted to go with a throwback why not give this one a shot:

80032436.jpg

I believe it's from the mid 70's, although you would still have the ugly striped socks it's a better look overall than what they put out yesterday.

I know they changed the Saints' FDL decals, but those were their normal helmets, correct? I believe they had different, darker helmets for the Sunday night throwback a few years back. Strangely, the gold on the jerseys seemed to match the helemts far better than the current jersey gold does. These jerseys are much better than what they wear now, but even if they want to keep the current jerseys with the logo on the sleeves instead of stripes, they should switch to the throwback gold full time and make pants that match the helmet in both color and striping.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

How much longer are we gonna read comments about the Bills uniforms?

They've worn them for 7 games now. Blue and white pants for 4 games and white with white pants for 3 games. We get it. We know what they look like and we know they look better then the crap they had been wearing. We don't need to see pictures after every game anymore.

I wish the Vikings would put those throwembacks into the hamper. Those things are as dreadfully dull and mismatched as their actual team is. If you want to wear something "throwback" for a special occasion or anniversary, that's fine. Just to wear them for the hell of it? Stupid and pointless (which most of this throwback fad has proved to be).

It's time for another episode...

Infrared41's Best and Worst Looking Games Of The Week

As usual, letters and phone calls are always welcome as is calling me old and boring. So without further adieu...

Worst

1. Cardinals - Seahawks: Lazy uniform, meet uninspired ugly clown suit uniform. No need to say again what's already been said a thousand times by pointing out how great Seattle would look at home by simply wearing white pants; so we'll skip right past that part. What can you say about Arizona's uniforms? Well, how about, "my God, those things are hideous" for a start? Easily the worst looking game of the week.

Cardinals_Seahawks_Football_91256_game.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse but tell me this doesn't look a lot better than the blue monochrome...

2002557503.jpg

Luckily for us, that was the only real train wreck of the week.

Best

Ah, what might have been. Thank you Bears for blowing what would have been a great looking game. Did you really need to bust out those awful orange jerseys against the Packers? You couldn't wait until the Vikings or Broncos came to town? Anyway, on to the best looking games of the week.

1. Jets - Raiders: Some might call this one "simple" or "boring." I call it what every NFL game should look like. A pure classic.

Jets_Raiders_Football_91253_game.jpg

2. Dolphins - Browns: Another great looking game. This game will be one of the few times I'd rather see the Browns wearing white at home. It's just a better looking match up when the Dolphins are wearing aqua and the Browns are in white.

Dolphins_Browns_Football_90887_game.jpg

3. Texans - Saints: The Texans' road look is one of the few "dark pants with white jerseys" looks that I like. The Saints could go to the throwbacks full time and it wouldn't bother me a bit. One of the best throwback looks ever. This one also wins best helmet match up of the week.

Texans_Saints_Football_90910_game.jpg

4. Giants - Eagles: I'm usually not a big fan of Philly's look (It's not awful but it's not great) but this game looked really good. Maybe that Eagles look is growing on me.

Giants_Eagles_Football_91235_game.jpg

5. Lions - Vikings: It came down to this game or Pittsburgh - Indy for the last slot on the best list. I went with this game because Minnesota only gets two chances a year to be on the best list. Ok...Let's get this out of the way; yes, Minnesota's throwbacks don't match. The helmet is too dark or the jersey is too light. (I go with the jersey being too light) But their throwbacks are still light years better than those clown suits they currently wear. Well that, and I just really like them. Detroit is a wider helmet stripe and better number font away from looking great.

Lions_Vikings_Football_91200_game.jpg

Honorable mention: Steelers - Colts: Any other week and this one makes the list. They can thank the Vikings throwbacks for keeping them off the list this week.

(If Washington goes with the gold pants tonight, you can add Redskins - Cowboys to honorable mention.)

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in again next week for another exciting episode.

BB52Big.jpg

Here's a side-by-side of the Saints, 1968 (same as '67 set except for temporary stripe color reversal) vs 2002 vs. 2011. The '02 pants and helmet seem a little darker (and closer to the actual '67 set) but it may be the light. The 2011 socks are clearly more accurate than the '02 version.

pq70kilmer.jpg

Saints02Throwbacks2.jpgTexans_Saints_Football_90910_game.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

09000d5d8228ab4d_gallery_600.jpg

Any idea why the Bills went with the White-Red-White text on their end zone wordmarks? It doesn't match the style of any other text in their look. For some reason, this really bothers me.

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

The Bears look hideous and unwatchable. And so do their orange uniforms!

Perhaps, but at least it is part of their history. They wore orange jerseys from 1935-1942 (not sure of the exact years).

6008970908_696d1d9487.jpg

And don't forget the 2004 Thanskgiving Throwback

sportscowboys2.jpgCOWBOYS-VS-CHICAGO.jpg

"I still think a tag team of Jimmy B and Melo could kick the :censored: out of Jesus and God."

Syracuse Orangemen

2003 National Champions

The Bears look hideous and unwatchable. And so do their orange uniforms!

Perhaps, but at least it is part of their history. They wore orange jerseys from 1935-1942 (not sure of the exact years).

6008970908_696d1d9487.jpg

And don't forget the 2004 Thanskgiving Throwback

sportscowboys2.jpgCOWBOYS-VS-CHICAGO.jpg

next time they go orange (if they ever do again)I think they should pair it with the navy pants.

A huge no to pairing the orange jerseys with navy pants. You couldn't get more busch league than that. That is for the high school team who doesn't have enough money to buy two sets of pants, so they buy dark pants and wear them with all uniforms. Team colored jerseys should never be paired with darker pants (or matching pants, for that matter).

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's time for another episode...

Infrared41's Best and Worst Looking Games Of The Week

As usual, letters and phone calls are always welcome as is calling me old and boring. So without further adieu...

Worst

1. Cardinals - Seahawks: Lazy uniform, meet uninspired ugly clown suit uniform. No need to say again what's already been said a thousand times by pointing out how great Seattle would look at home by simply wearing white pants; so we'll skip right past that part. What can you say about Arizona's uniforms? Well, how about, "my God, those things are hideous" for a start? Easily the worst looking game of the week.

Cardinals_Seahawks_Football_91256_game.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse but tell me this doesn't look a lot better than the blue monochrome...

2002557503.jpg

Luckily for us, that was the only real train wreck of the week.

Best

Ah, what might have been. Thank you Bears for blowing what would have been a great looking game. Did you really need to bust out those awful orange jerseys against the Packers? You couldn't wait until the Vikings or Broncos came to town? Anyway, on to the best looking games of the week.

1. Jets - Raiders: Some might call this one "simple" or "boring." I call it what every NFL game should look like. A pure classic.

Jets_Raiders_Football_91253_game.jpg

2. Dolphins - Browns: Another great looking game. This game will be one of the few times I'd rather see the Browns wearing white at home. It's just a better looking match up when the Dolphins are wearing aqua and the Browns are in white.

Dolphins_Browns_Football_90887_game.jpg

3. Texans - Saints: The Texans' road look is one of the few "dark pants with white jerseys" looks that I like. The Saints could go to the throwbacks full time and it wouldn't bother me a bit. One of the best throwback looks ever. This one also wins best helmet match up of the week.

Texans_Saints_Football_90910_game.jpg

4. Giants - Eagles: I'm usually not a big fan of Philly's look (It's not awful but it's not great) but this game looked really good. Maybe that Eagles look is growing on me.

Giants_Eagles_Football_91235_game.jpg

5. Lions - Vikings: It came down to this game or Pittsburgh - Indy for the last slot on the best list. I went with this game because Minnesota only gets two chances a year to be on the best list. Ok...Let's get this out of the way; yes, Minnesota's throwbacks don't match. The helmet is too dark or the jersey is too light. (I go with the jersey being too light) But their throwbacks are still light years better than those clown suits they currently wear. Well that, and I just really like them. Detroit is a wider helmet stripe and better number font away from looking great.

Lions_Vikings_Football_91200_game.jpg

Honorable mention: Steelers - Colts: Any other week and this one makes the list. They can thank the Vikings throwbacks for keeping them off the list this week.

(If Washington goes with the gold pants tonight, you can add Redskins - Cowboys to honorable mention.)

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in again next week for another exciting episode.

That doesn't look better than their monochrome.

Archived