NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 3)

TheOldRoman

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

300113_239070816140491_121195131261394_627740_1238021289_n.jpg

Beautiful.

Why is this not the full-time uniform?

There is nothing wrong with this (except the helmet color).

A+

>>>>

That uniform set with that shade of gold represents nothing but losing for New Orleans. They were the AINT's for the longest period of time.

No different than the Creamsicle uniforms that Tampa Bay wore at their inception in 1976. They both represent losing.

It's funny how people tend to forget these things ....

Beautiful.

A+

Because the golds don't match.

Beautiful.

A+

>>>>

That uniform set with that shade of gold represents nothing but losing for New Orleans. They were the AINT's for the longest period of time.

No different than the Creamsicle uniforms that Tampa Bay wore at their inception in 1976. They both represent losing.

It's funny how people tend to forget these things ....

I'm pretty sure nobody really cares about what happened in the past with uniforms. Both of those clubs that you mentioned have won Super Bowls since then, so it's not exactly like they're opening up terrible, painful wounds of the past by going back to those uniforms for a couple of games in the regular season. When I look at that Saints uniform, I don't see "OH LAWD THE AINTS," I see "Good grief, they really need to match those golds together." The focus is on the design instead of whatever happened past, which is where it should be.

Despite those uniforms supposedly representing losing, the Saints did a good job of not keeling over. :P

And now I feel dirty as a Falcons fan defending the Saints. Ugh. I need a shower. :lol:

Beautiful.

A+

Especially when paired with their current black facemask versus the normal grey one. That black facemask really pulls that throwback uni together.

It really is a great uniform. +1 to both of your posts.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

One last look at the Saints' throwbacks. Who knows, we may not see them again for another 9 years. :cursing:

Just for grins, we'll put them side by side with the current set.

5574250.jpg5517118.jpg

I'd be fine with them going back to the throwback uni (though they need to get the old gold right - looks too yellow), or maybe replacing the sleeve stripes with the FDL and leaving the rest. It's hopeless though because as far as I can tell, everybody in their organization (and local media) thinks they look great as is. To tap the current buzz phrase, "Really, Saints? Really?" B)

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

One last look at the Saints' throwbacks. Who knows, we may not see them again for another 9 years. :cursing:

Just for grins, we'll put them side by side with the current set.

5574250.jpg5517118.jpg

I'd be fine with them going back to the throwback uni (though they need to get the old gold right - looks too yellow), or maybe replacing the sleeve stripes with the FDL and leaving the rest. It's hopeless though because as far as I can tell, everybody in their organization (and local media) thinks they look great as is. To tap the current buzz phrase, "Really, Saints? Really?" B)

If they would just match the Gold on their current set, then I think they would have a winner.

spacer.png

Beautiful.

A+

>>>>

That Any uniform set with that shade of gold worn by a team in its first few years of existence represents nothing but losing for New Orleans.

FYP.

What you say is true but I agree with other posters that it's irrelevant. Maybe someday many years from now they'll wear 2009 throwbacks to honor the SB victory but for now, unless they wear the '80s unis I don't know what else they're supposed to do.

Beautiful.

A+

It's not quite perfect.

? Keep the helmet.

? Replace the sleeve stripes with the Louisiana logo from the Dome Patrol era jerseys.

? Collar wordmark.

? Keep the pants.

? Solid black socks.

Winner.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Beautiful.

A+

It's not quite perfect.

? Keep the helmet.

? Replace the sleeve stripes with the Louisiana logo from the Dome Patrol era jerseys.

? Collar wordmark.

? Keep the pants.

? Solid black socks.

Winner.

The striped socks are one of the nicest parts of the this uniform.

It's interesting in reading this thread how much love there is for the charm of mismatched colors on throwbacks. I wonder if the same will be true of the Cowboys unis if they ever fix them down the road. Maybe it's different people, but the majority here seems to think the Cowboys need to pick a silver and a blue, and I seem to remember the Vikings' darker helmet being a pet peeve here, too...

It's interesting in reading this thread how much love there is for the charm of mismatched colors on throwbacks. I wonder if the same will be true of the Cowboys unis if they ever fix them down the road. Maybe it's different people, but the majority here seems to think the Cowboys need to pick a silver and a blue, and I seem to remember the Vikings' darker helmet being a pet peeve here, too...

That's just it - the mismatches are kind of charming for a throwback worn once or twice per year because it's accurate to the "old days" we remember. However, if a team decided to use their throwback style as their primary uniform then it would make sense for the team to match up the colors.

Make the golds consistent, and that would be the absolute best the Saints could look. Those sleeve/sock stripes are tremendous.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

That's just it - the mismatches are kind of charming for a throwback worn once or twice per year because it's accurate to the "old days" we remember. However, if a team decided to use their throwback style as their primary uniform then it would make sense for the team to match up the colors.

I'm a little puzzled by the mismatch issue regarding the Saints throwbacks. I believe any throwback mismatches are either errors by the Saints in specifying the colors or the manufacturers in making the unis. These are supposed to be the '67 unis, and from the vintage pics available, those golds matched. They didn't go off the rails until around 1969 or '70 when they started swapping out that look for the heat-pressed numbers and stripes and later brought out the black pants. The various suppliers, and the Saints themselves, seemed either confused or unable to get a consistent shade. The "gold" often ended up tan or olive on the unis and yellow on sideline apparel and equipment.

DISCLAIMER - the word "match" in this context means essentially the same, not a perfect match (almost impossible to achieve). Put another way, the shades don't clash or cause visual discontinuity in the uni.

Look at the pants stripe vs. socks in this pic. Hideous.

aabf025_archie-manning-photofile-posters.jpg

The '67 set - golds match, though I believe the shade is off slightly in this pic. (Buc, you know what's coming, don't you?)

0814_large.jpg

In this one, we're not seeing the helmet but it was pretty close, though as Colorwerx often notes it's tough to get an exact match between paint and fabrics.

69Topps105.jpg

1969 was a nutty uni year for New Orleans. Note sleeve stripes in preseason (awesome black helmet marks this as the '69 preseason):

16364682-12.jpg

Ouch - another one from '69 and yeah, those golds do NOT match.

4761528.jpg

But...also from 1969 (as evidenced by NFL anniversary patch) - has old sleeve stripes and matching golds.

4331050557_716fccca78_o.jpg

Here's a better idea of the shade. This is one of Jim Taylor's Saints jersey, which is in the HOF.

taylorhofjersey.png

What's really goofy is that the numbers on their current black jerseys are really closer to the original old gold than vegas gold. Go figure.

drew_brees-263.jpg

I'm a little puzzled by the mismatch issue regarding the Saints throwbacks. I believe any throwback mismatches are either errors by the Saints in specifying the colors or the manufacturers in making the unis. These are supposed to be the '67 unis, and from the vintage pics available, those golds matched. They didn't go off the rails until around 1969 or '70 when they started swapping out that look for the heat-pressed numbers and stripes and later brought out the black pants. The various suppliers, and the Saints themselves, seemed either confused or unable to get a consistent shade. The "gold" often ended up tan or olive on the unis and yellow on sideline apparel and equipment.

Actually I think the Saints throwback jersey, pants and socks are matched about as well as you can match things - different kinds of fabric take dyes differently and reflect light differently. And we see all these differences in 1080 HD these days; it was less noticable on old-school 70s 19" or even 25" CRT TVs. I'm giving them a pass on the helmets; they obviously weren't going to get new helmets for a one-off throwback so they just put the old-style decal on their current gold helmets. Hey, just paint the helmets to match the throwbacks and you have a winner in my book.

My comments were more about the Vikings completely mismatched throwbacks - frankly the jersey color mismatch was more of an 80s thing when the manufacturers changed the fabrics to that "dazzle" for the shoulders/sleeves. The old real mid-70s jerseys were at least all the same color. Of course the helmets still didn't match. The Rams throwbacks are another issue - again, the helmet didn't match.

>>>>>

0814_large.jpg

That looks really good ... but those goldish-copper pants wouldn't look as good on the black jerseys.

All in all, I still like the Vegas gold better.

Would like to see them go to gold numbers with that same black outline on their current white jersey, and shítcan those black pants forever.

Archived