NFL Uniforms 2011 (Week 3)

TheOldRoman

2002557503.jpg

That doesn't look better than their monochrome.

It's all a matter of opinion .... I see it as looking as WAY better than the monochrome which makes 'em look like a rain-cloud

Seattle is one of the first clubs already working with NIKE on changes. I predict the monochrome will end up going bye-bye.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A huge no to pairing the orange jerseys with navy pants. You couldn't get more busch league than that. That is for the high school team who doesn't have enough money to buy two sets of pants, so they buy dark pants and wear them with all uniforms. Team colored jerseys should never be paired with darker pants (or matching pants, for that matter).

LMAO....I just can't comprehed the logic behind that rant. The original orange jersey the Bears wore in the late 30's was worn with navy pants, so therefore they should be wearing them for traditional reasons. Looks amazing!! Same would've been said if my Browns would've pair their previous orange alternate with brown pants.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

IF ONE IS CONSIDERED RACIST, THEN BOTH MUST BE CONSIDERED RACIST.

BOTTOM LINE: NEITHER ONE IS RACIST.

Not to beat a dead horse but tell me this doesn't look a lot better than the blue monochrome...

2002557503.jpg

Yes, it does. By a friggin' mile.

The Seahawk's monochrome was ugly the first time they wore it, and ugly and played out the second time. Every time I see them I'm shocked that they still haven't come to their senses.

How much longer are we gonna read comments about the Bills uniforms?

They've worn them for 7 games now. Blue and white pants for 4 games and white with white pants for 3 games. We get it. We know what they look like and we know they look better then the crap they had been wearing. We don't need to see pictures after every game anymore.

Lord, you're a grump.

2002557503.jpg

It's all a matter of opinion .... I see it as looking as WAY better than the monochrome which makes 'em look like a rain-cloud

Seattle is one of the first clubs already working with NIKE on changes. I predict the monochrome will end up going bye-bye.

That is hideous. Give me monochrome every game.

spacer.png

2002557503.jpg

Really? Hideous? Are the Giants, Texans, Bears, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs, and Broncos also "hideous" when they wear their dark helmets and jerseys over white pants?

2002557503.jpg

Really? Hideous? Are the Giants, Texans, Bears, Vikings, Eagles, Redskins, Chiefs, and Broncos also "hideous" when they wear their dark helmets and jerseys over white pants?

No. But after seeing that beautiful monochrome it is. I love that blue color and from what the media has said is that the fans like it along with the neon green. As far as your list, I love these uniforms except when they wear white jerseys and white pants: Texans, Vikings (new), Broncos

spacer.png

Here's a side-by-side of the Saints, 1968 (same as '67 set except for temporary stripe color reversal) vs 2002 vs. 2011. The '02 pants and helmet seem a little darker (and closer to the actual '67 set) but it may be the light. The 2011 socks are clearly more accurate than the '02 version.

pq70kilmer.jpg

Look! The player mostly obscured by #14 has B/W/B pant stripes when all his team mates have W/B/W pant stripes.

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

It's time for another episode...

Infrared41's Best and Worst Looking Games Of The Week

As usual, letters and phone calls are always welcome as is calling me old and boring. So without further adieu...

Worst

1. Cardinals - Seahawks: Lazy uniform, meet uninspired ugly clown suit uniform. No need to say again what's already been said a thousand times by pointing out how great Seattle would look at home by simply wearing white pants; so we'll skip right past that part. What can you say about Arizona's uniforms? Well, how about, "my God, those things are hideous" for a start? Easily the worst looking game of the week.

Cardinals_Seahawks_Football_91256_game.jpg

Not to beat a dead horse but tell me this doesn't look a lot better than the blue monochrome...

2002557503.jpg

Luckily for us, that was the only real train wreck of the week.

Best

Ah, what might have been. Thank you Bears for blowing what would have been a great looking game. Did you really need to bust out those awful orange jerseys against the Packers? You couldn't wait until the Vikings or Broncos came to town? Anyway, on to the best looking games of the week.

1. Jets - Raiders: Some might call this one "simple" or "boring." I call it what every NFL game should look like. A pure classic.

Jets_Raiders_Football_91253_game.jpg

2. Dolphins - Browns: Another great looking game. This game will be one of the few times I'd rather see the Browns wearing white at home. It's just a better looking match up when the Dolphins are wearing aqua and the Browns are in white.

Dolphins_Browns_Football_90887_game.jpg

3. Texans - Saints: The Texans' road look is one of the few "dark pants with white jerseys" looks that I like. The Saints could go to the throwbacks full time and it wouldn't bother me a bit. One of the best throwback looks ever. This one also wins best helmet match up of the week.

Texans_Saints_Football_90910_game.jpg

4. Giants - Eagles: I'm usually not a big fan of Philly's look (It's not awful but it's not great) but this game looked really good. Maybe that Eagles look is growing on me.

Giants_Eagles_Football_91235_game.jpg

5. Lions - Vikings: It came down to this game or Pittsburgh - Indy for the last slot on the best list. I went with this game because Minnesota only gets two chances a year to be on the best list. Ok...Let's get this out of the way; yes, Minnesota's throwbacks don't match. The helmet is too dark or the jersey is too light. (I go with the jersey being too light) But their throwbacks are still light years better than those clown suits they currently wear. Well that, and I just really like them. Detroit is a wider helmet stripe and better number font away from looking great.

Lions_Vikings_Football_91200_game.jpg

Honorable mention: Steelers - Colts: Any other week and this one makes the list. They can thank the Vikings throwbacks for keeping them off the list this week.

(If Washington goes with the gold pants tonight, you can add Redskins - Cowboys to honorable mention.)

That's it for this week. Be sure to tune in again next week for another exciting episode.

There are nine games and 18 teams mentioned in my post. You might want to be a little more specific.

BB52Big.jpg

Seattle's monochrome is beautiful. burn a cross in my yard if you'd like, but that Seahawk Blue is gorgeous. absolutely gorgeous. white pants look awful with it though. Seahawk Blue pants on road, and home.

and ill say this too. bring back the neon green jersey. its sexy. there i said it

The original orange jersey the Bears wore in the late 30's was worn with navy pants, so therefore they should be wearing them for traditional reasons.

Do we actually know that for a fact?

I know that's what the Maple Leaf Productions artist thought, but they've been demonstrably wrong before.

Not that I necessarily blame them, considering the vast amount of work they had and football teams' ignorance of their own early history, but those plaques alone aren't proof of anything. The Bears' website doesn't say anything about the pants, mentioning only the navy jersey and reprinting the MLP illustration.

Seattle's monochrome is beautiful. burn a cross in my yard if you'd like, but that Seahawk Blue is gorgeous. absolutely gorgeous. white pants look awful with it though. Seahawk Blue pants on road, and home.

and ill say this too. bring back the neon green jersey. its sexy. there i said it

OK, what's your address?

This may surprise some folks, but I like the neon green jersey. I don't know if "sexy" is the word I'd choose to describe it but hey, whatever works for you. Anyway...Pair the neon with the white pants and you'd have a killer look in my opinion.

BB52Big.jpg

Finally someone with some taste.

spacer.png

The original orange jersey the Bears wore in the late 30's was worn with navy pants, so therefore they should be wearing them for traditional reasons.

Do we actually know that for a fact?

I know that's what the Maple Leaf Productions artist thought, but they've been demonstrably wrong before.

Not that I necessarily blame them, considering the vast amount of work they had and football teams' ignorance of their own early history, but those plaques alone aren't proof of anything. The Bears' website doesn't say anything about the pants, mentioning only the navy jersey and reprinting the MLP illustration.

Well that sure as hell isn't white....it's darker. :P

bronko-nagurski.jpg

But even if they never did wear orange with navy, it looks great in that artistic painting.

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Those pants sure don't look navy, either.

I don't think the originals were white, but there were teams still wearing canvas pants in the 1930s. The Bears could have been one of them. Or for all we know those are orange pants.

Was just wondering if there was any evidence to back up the MLP illustration.

While we're on Seattle, is the bottom stripe on the logo color used anywhere else on any of their sets? Wish they would go back to this on the road...

1347310.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FDA59F70D6B10874D9699C358181F2BBC17D4E9696E16C8566

I think their monochrome is about the best one, maybe because it's a darker color it works. Also they don't do the heinous leotard look.

A huge no to pairing the orange jerseys with navy pants. You couldn't get more busch league than that. That is for the high school team who doesn't have enough money to buy two sets of pants, so they buy dark pants and wear them with all uniforms. Team colored jerseys should never be paired with darker pants (or matching pants, for that matter).

LMAO....I just can't comprehed the logic behind that rant. The original orange jersey the Bears wore in the late 30's was worn with navy pants, so therefore they should be wearing them for traditional reasons. Looks amazing!! Same would've been said if my Browns would've pair their previous orange alternate with brown pants.

The Bears also wore leather helmets back then, but those shouldn't come back, either. The aesthetics of modern football were defined in the early-mid '50s. Colored jerseys at home, white on the road, and teams could wear white pants because the technology was no there to clean them well enough. Wearing pants darker than a colored jersey is not a good look, regardless of teams doing it 80 years ago.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Bears also wore leather helmets back then, but those shouldn't come back, either. The aesthetics of modern football were defined in the early-mid '50s. Colored jerseys at home, white on the road, and teams could wear white pants because the technology was no there to clean them well enough. Wearing pants darker than a colored jersey is not a good look, regardless of teams doing it 80 years ago.

they could wear plastic garbage bags for all I care if they can win a g-damn game in the process....sorry, just a bitter rant from a frustrated Bears fan. In all seriousness, the retro orange jerseys with the navy numbers were better than the ones they wore this week.

Looks good to me.

72317048_display_image.jpg?1292454111

ATL_display_image.jpg?1292453544

4648328079_2a28bf0295.jpg

blue_over_navy_1.jpg

Houston+Texans+v+Tampa+Bay+Buccaneers+RgqX8ZwaZ0Kl.jpg

Indians_allcolors2-1.png

Indians_OleMiss2-1.png

Archived