Hot Stove: MLB Offseason Thread

Dexter Morgan

My gut tells me Pujols is just using the Marlins for leverage and will eventually sign with the Cardinals no matter what Miami offers. He knows what his legacy means to the city of St. Louis and he's at the point in his career/life where happiness trumps several extra million. I would be absolutely stunned if he leaves the Red Birds, especially for that circus in Florida.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My gut tells me Pujols is just using the Marlins for leverage and will eventually sign with the Cardinals no matter what Miami offers. He knows what his legacy means to the city of St. Louis and he's at the point in his career/life where happiness trumps several extra million. I would be absolutely stunned if he leaves the Red Birds, especially for that circus in Florida.

Your gut is probably right, word around twittertown is that the Marlins have decided that it's too rich for their blood and are now focusing on Wilson & Fielder.

Your gut is probably right, word around twittertown is that the Marlins have decided that it's too rich for their blood and are now focusing on Wilson & Fielder.

As a Marlins fan I want this. Wilson and Fielder is a way bigger win for the Marlins.

And evidently Hanley Ramirez may have pissed the team off and will be shopped around.

Fixed.

I don't see how Reyes and Ramirez can coexist on the same team.

I could see a potential sign and trade though with the Cardinals. Cardinals sign Albert and trade him to the Marlins for Hanley Ramirez. There would have to be more to it then just those two guys, but I could see it happening if the Cardinals had any interest in Hanley, although reading that Pujols to the Marlins isn't going to happen, that puts the kibosh on this scenario. I do think though there's somebody out there willing to take a chance on Ramirez though.

And evidently Hanley Ramirez may have pissed the team off and could be shopped around.

The Marlins just downgraded, going from Hanley to Reyes, IMO.

I don't know. Hanley forgot how to hit and he does not have the defensive skills to play in this league. I think he is very overrated and I hope the Marlins dump him.

And evidently Hanley Ramirez may have pissed the team off and could be shopped around.

The Marlins just downgraded, going from Hanley to Reyes, IMO.

I don't know. Hanley forgot how to hit and he does not have the defensive skills to play in this league. I think he is very overrated and I hope the Marlins dump him.

It would be a downgrade if Hanley could ever get his head screwed on straight. Could very well wind up being another example of a player with the "I got mine, I'm done trying" mentality. I think he has it already but he's still young enough to where he can get his career turned around provided he cares enough to actually do it.

As I figured, the Marlins are out of the Albert Pujols Sweepstakes.

@jaysonst

Sources say #Marlins have officially withdrawn offer to Pujols. Still in on CJ Wilson even after deal w Buehrle. More to come at ESPN.com

6uXNWAo.png

And evidently Hanley Ramirez may have pissed the team off and will be shopped around.

Fixed.

I could see a potential sign and trade though with the Cardinals. Cardinals sign Albert and trade him to the Marlins for Hanley Ramirez. There would have to be more to it then just those two guys, but I could see it happening if the Cardinals had any interest in Hanley, although reading that Pujols to the Marlins isn't going to happen, that puts the kibosh on this scenario. I do think though there's somebody out there willing to take a chance on Ramirez though.

Why on earth would a baseball team do a sign and trade? That doesn't make sense.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Fixed.

Why on earth would a baseball team do a sign and trade? That doesn't make sense.

No kidding. Does MLB even do "sign and trades?" If Pujols signs with the Cards, why on Earth would they trade him after that? Cardinals fans would riot if the team pulled such a ridiculous stunt.

Anyway, I thought I'd heard that Detroit is interested in Hanley Ramirez.

BB52Big.jpg

Fixed.

No kidding. Does MLB even do "sign and trades?" Anyway, I thought I'd heard that Detroit is interested in Hanley Ramirez.

It would only be to get Pujols and the reason for it would be to avoid having to give up draft compensation. Its rare because you need the right circumstances to come up but it does happen.

The reason it would work would be if the Marlins were interested in Pujols which they are no longer so its not even worth while discussing anymore.

Fixed.

No kidding. Does MLB even do "sign and trades?" Anyway, I thought I'd heard that Detroit is interested in Hanley Ramirez.

It would only be to get Pujols and the reason for it would be to avoid having to give up draft compensation. Its rare because you need the right circumstances to come up but it does happen.

The reason it would work would be if the Marlins were interested in Pujols which they are no longer so its not even worth while discussing anymore.

I can't think of a single instance in MLB where that's happened with compensation-worthy player. Correct me if I'm wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived