fishheatcats vs. The NHL

fishheatcats

I keep looking at it thinking something looks funny, and I think it's having the lower bill be included in the mask, but it absolutely should be there.

This is a fantastic concept and I must say, the first Ducks concept that I've liked, period. The logo is the perfect upgrade from that disney cartoon, the secondary is exactly what it should be (it's a real duck!), and the jerseys are superb. Exactly what they should be doing.

Bravo, sir. Bravo.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent set! I love the colors, love the striping, love both of the logos. Who would' have thought that a duck flying to the right would make such a nice jersey logo?

My favorite part of the flying duck logo is the head. You should utilize a simple head logo somehow. Maybe make it the shoulder patch for the alternate jersey?

tacobell.jpg

Yes, I root for teams all over the place. And I apparently favor birds.

Next up, the Los Angeles Kings. I'm not really a fan of any of their logos throughout their long existence, but there are elements from different eras that I think work. The purple/gold color scheme for one. When I think of royalty and kings, I think of over the top extravagance, not super dull silver and black.

So, I brought the original colors back, and I like how it ties in with the Lakers.

The primary crest is based on the various crowns they've had over the years, with elements taken from different eras(early shape, modern sticks at the top, etc.), plus some original details to make it more than just a straight modernization. Included in the crown is a new "LA" sleeve emblem, something simple that would look nice on a cap, and evokes a bit of the motion from the various old Kings wordmarks.

The alternate logo/wordmark is a new version of the shield/Chevy logo from the Gretzky era.

On the jerseys I went with a classy look, close to the early template they used in the 60s/70s.

lakings.png

C&C always appreciated!

not a fan of the kings sweaters at all... they remind me of an off-color sweden for some reason, when the real kings purple/gold sweaters never gave me that vibe. for some reason i just don't think the triple stripes work here for some reason.

that being said, these are the best kings logos i've ever seen. i love them.

New crown is excellent. I agree with the above poster on the shade of yellow...right now it reminds me of something that would come out of a baby. The LA logo is an interesting idea, but something about the execution is off. Perhaps more sharp lines rather than curves?

Good first draft, though. This one can be great

Dig the LA monogram, dig the crest. Crown's a bit too complicated; could probably do without the smaller jewels running up towards the hockey sticks.

I think the purple could be lighter and the yellow a little darker, plus the regular home and roads need a little more worked into them. And please, for the love of Jeff, don't use Impact as the number font.

Wow, that's simply one of the best Ducks concepts I've seen on these boards, really good work. I love the duck mask logo but the full flying duck logo I think is just too brilliant not to be the primary.

I like the Kings' LA logo, but I feel as though the crown in too crowded. I like everything else however. Just rework the crown, simplify it, and you have a good looking set.

::: UPDATE :::

Okay took a few suggestions and modified the Kings set.

First off, I darkened the yellow to a more golden color. I also changed the number font and modified the hem striping on the home/road sweaters. I changed up the template on the Alternate as well. I left the white as the alt because I figure they could just wear that when they play at Nashville(though I'm not fluent in NHL alternate jersey rules... can you wear them on the road? If not that's pretty stupid).

I left the logos as-is, I'm pretty happy with the look and I think the detail works on the crown, it is a crown after all(some of the most indulgently extravagant things on Earth), and one of my favorite things about hockey crests is that they allow you to go a little nuts with details sometimes since they are displayed so large.

lakings2.png

I think that'll do it for the Kings. Stay tuned for another team coming soon.

the socks need some kind of striping on them to keep them from looking like practice socks..

other than that, holy moly. i'd buy that white sweater in a split second, and i'm not even a kings fan.

Alright, moving along we have the Dallas Stars.

It's always bugged me that they kept basically the same logo the Northstars used their last few seasons. Even though they have the Wild now, it would still irk me if I was a Minnesota fan every time I saw that logo(much like I'm sure there are a lot of Baltimore fans who shudder every time they see the Colts).

Anyhow, I do like the simple look of the Stars, so I kept that idea in mind when developing this set.

We have a new 2 color scheme, a dark brown and green, keeping a touch of the old Stars while giving it something new. The primary logo keeps the italicized text and star, but bringing everything into a new shape inspired by a cattle brand. The Texas sleeve patch encloses some rugged Texas terrain with two stars in the sky, the larger over Dallas.

The stand alone cattle brand logo is used in a unique way for hockey, stamped on the bottom of the numbers, like you frequently see with soccer teams who have league/team logos on the numbers.

The jerseys feature angular hem stripes(also on the socks), a subtle nod to the old "star" striping on the 2000 Stars unis. The alternate is a take on the current home jersey, which I think is a neat idea for an alternate. It's different and I think it looks sharp(in small doses).

dalstars.png

C&C!

This concludes my little NHL mini-series. There are no other looks in the NHL I really have large issues with. Some small tweaks here and there but nothing necessitating a full blown concept. Hope you've enjoyed!

Anaheim: The finished product of this concept is probably my favorite Ducks concept of all time on these boards. I've always loved that color scheme for the Ducks, and not only did you go back to it, you were able to greatly improve it with the updated crest logo and the new duck logo. The only problem I have is that I'm not a fan of the name & number font, but other than that minor quirk...WOW. You absolutely nailed this one.

Los Angeles: The alternate logo & 3rd jersey go together wonderfully. Honestly, I'd go with a set based on that, rather than what you've got going on with the primary logo & primary uniforms. But for what you have, it's decent. The name & numbers on this set bother me as well, though.

Dallas: It's funny, I like the uniform & the logos, but the colors mess it up. I know you were trying to distance the Dallas Stars from the Minnesota North Stars, but IMO, this would look a whole lot better with a green-&-gold color scheme. Except for the colors, it looks good so far.

Really liking everything here. All are upgrades compared to what these teams really use.

Both Ducks logos are sharp. I agree that they need to go back to being MIGHTY again.

On the Kings, I like the far right logo best, probably because that shape is what I think of when I think LA Kings. In that particular version, which could be the primary, the crown could be simplified to match the rest of that logo better.

Then on the Stars, all the logos are good too and I especially like the Texas state logo with the mountains and stars. It's a new take on those Texas-shaped logos and it really works.

Stars need some form of striping, piping, etc on the sleeve. Right now they look naked.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived