Strawberry: '86 Mets better than '98 Yanks

Dexter Morgan

"There's no question. You cannot beat the '86 Mets," Strawberry said Tuesday while appearing on ESPN New York 1050's "The Michael Kay Show." "The Yankees teams I played on were great teams with great personalities, but they were good guys. The '86 Mets would've been drilling those guys; I just know how our pitching staff was: hit this guy, hit that guy. And those were the kind of guys we were. We were mad, we wanted them to get outside themselves. That's the kind of group we had that year, so the '86 Mets were a very difficult team to play against."

Last time I checked the '86 Mets needed the Red Sox to crap all over themselves to win the WS, the 1998 Yankees cruised to a championship.

Bitter? Strawberry will always be a Met what did you expect him to say?

I like Strawberry, but Yankee fans have never claimed he was a Yankee, him or Gooden, nor do we necessarily want them to be known as Yankees. Bitter no, bitter about what? I'm just annoyed by such a preposterous statement. 1998 Yankees are one of the greatest/dominant teams in baseball history.

Bitter? Strawberry will always be a Met what did you expect him to say?

I like Strawberry, but Yankee fans have never claimed he was a Yankee, him or Gooden, nor do we necessarily want them to be known as Yankees. Bitter no, bitter about what? I'm just annoyed by such a preposterous statement. 1998 Yankees are one of the greatest/dominant teams in baseball history.

And did you watch each team from the bench? No; Darryl did.

Let's say that Strawberry was in his "assisted state" for 2.5 days out of every ten during the season starting in Spring Training for both teams, wouldn't he possess more actual anecdotal information based on where he saw events and execution than what you had as a kid/teen watching both teams on TV?

The fact that you are listening to Michael Kay and that genre of NYC sports radio illustrates where you have biases.

However that could be another topic since I prefer podcasts, "sports talk radio" with callers is not as entertaining as sports radio with hosts who just review events and give opinions.

Dexter the 1986 Mets were way better than the 1998 Yankees.

Carter>Posada

Hernandez > Tino

Backman/Teufel<Knoblach

Sanatana < Jeter

Knight>Brosius

Foster/Mookie > Raines

Dykstra < Bernie

Straw > O'Neill

Gooden > Wells

Darling > Pettitte

Ojeda < Cone

ElSid > El Duque

Aguliera > Irabu

Orosco/McDowell < Rivera

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Yankee fans would get upset over a statement like that... I mean, sure he's wrong, but the amount of bickering I've seen on Facebook over this by Yankee fans is ridiculous.

Have you met many Yankee fans that were not ridiculous?

I think it's hilarious how upset you are over this. But I'm sure many others find it funny too.

Yankee fans would get upset over a statement like that... I mean, sure he's wrong, but the amount of bickering I've seen on Facebook over this by Yankee fans is ridiculous.

I learned a long time ago not to listen to anything Darryl Strawberry ever has to say about anything regardless of whether or not he even has a point. If your mad at what Darryl Strawberry said, you got exactly what you deserved. This is someone who's opinion at this point simply should not matter.

Some of you actually agree with him... wow

I think it's hilarious how upset you are over this. But I'm sure many others find it funny too.

I know you don't agree with him, those Yankee teams won 8 straight World Series games vs. the Braves.

:rolleyes:

Dexter the 1986 Mets were way better than the 1998 Yankees.

Carter>Posada

Hernandez > Tino

Backman/Teufel<Knoblach

Sanatana < Jeter

Knight>Brosius

Foster/Mookie > Raines

Dykstra < Bernie

Straw > O'Neill

Gooden > Wells

Darling > Pettitte

Ojeda < Cone

ElSid > El Duque

Aguliera > Irabu

Orosco/McDowell < Rivera

Who had the better regular season record?

Plus '86 Mets lost 5 playoff games in 2 series. '98 Yankees lost 2 playoff games in 3 series. '98 Yankees dominated from start to finish, '86 Mets needed Buckner and the Sox to crap their pants.

I'm biased here, but it's not ludicrous to say that the '86 Mets were better than the '98 Yanks. They were both dominant teams. The Yankees only won 6 more games than the Mets and both clinched their divisions early and got to rest their regulars. Who knows how the Yankees would have fared facing Mike Scott and the '86 Astros in a 7-game series?

And Strawberry never said the '86 Mets were better than the '98 Yanks. He said the '86 Mets would beat the '98 Yankees because of their personalities and the way they played. The better team doesn't always win a series (see 1973 NLCS and 2001 ALCS).

Some of you actually agree with him... wow

I know you don't agree with him, those Yankee teams won 8 straight World Series games vs. the Braves.

:rolleyes:

But they played the Padres in 1998....so what is your point there?

Archived