Most Underrated and Overrated Athletes?

Lebda4Norris

Tebow is racist?

I don't know enough about him to make that claim, but he has in the past allied himself with at least one very scummy, bigoted organization.

Well he did say if you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and salmonator you'll go to heaven, if not you're going to hell.

You know how many Black folks are out there saying the exact same thing? I work in East Baltimore, I hear it a handful of times a day. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to play devil's advocate and to promote debate and discussion about the actual topic instead of Tim Tebow being racist... I think one could make a case for C.C. Sabathia being overrated. Let's be honest, anything under 4.00 ERA in the American League, especially in the east with Boston and Tampa Bay, is a very good pitcher. But when you look at the length of contract and the magnitude of the contract, for him to not win a minimum of 20 games per season with an average closer to 23 or 24 wins could be seen as disappointing. Yes, I understand its New York, I understand he is a work horse with innings and going down into the stretch run, but I think for that kind of money, the standards should be even higher.

DISCLAIMER: I don't see C.C. or the Yankees play every day, so I can't be a fair judge of whether he is overrated or underrated. However, it would be interesting to hear/read peoples' views on it... people who see every Yankee game, every year.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Just to play devil's advocate and to promote debate and discussion about the actual topic instead of Tim Tebow being racist... I think one could make a case for C.C. Sabathia being overrated. Let's be honest, anything under 4.00 ERA in the American League, especially in the east with Boston and Tampa Bay, is a very good pitcher. But when you look at the length of contract and the magnitude of the contract, for him to not win a minimum of 20 games per season with an average closer to 23 or 24 wins could be seen as disappointing. Yes, I understand its New York, I understand he is a work horse with innings and going down into the stretch run, but I think for that kind of money, the standards should be even higher.

DISCLAIMER: I don't see C.C. or the Yankees play every day, so I can't be a fair judge of whether he is overrated or underrated. However, it would be interesting to hear/read peoples' views on it... people who see every Yankee game, every year.

Wins really aren't a good measure of how he pitches. With the right offense in the lineup, Sabathia could "win" 23 games and have an ERA over 4.50. Conversely, he could have an ERA of 2.25 and only "win" 12 games. The win stat doesn't tell the whole story. In fact, it tells very little of the story. Sabathia could give up nine runs in 6 innings and still get the win. A reliever can give up seven runs in an inning of work and still pick up a win. Basically, all a win means is that you were the pitcher of record when your team took the lead for good. There are a lot of ways to get a win. None of them really require you to pitch well to do it.

Also, his contract has nothing to do with whether or not he's overrated. But to answer your question, no, Sabathia is not overrated.

BB52Big.jpg

As a Yankee fan, I don't think any ball player is worth the type of money these guys get paid, but if anyone is...than CC Sabathia is. Not that wins is a good measuring stick, but asking for 23-24 wins a year is ridiculous. How often has that happened since the 6 man rotation came into play? He's led baseball in wins 2 of his 3 years with the Yankees, and 2nd in the other (to Verlander) He has 59 wins in 3 years in the Bronx with a 3.18 ERA. Tossing over 230 innings each season. In the AL East. Heck.. he's underrated.

Coming from a Boston fan, I do not think that he is overrated at all.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Tebow is racist?

I don't know enough about him to make that claim, but he has in the past allied himself with at least one very scummy, bigoted organization.

Well he did say if you accept Jesus Christ as your lord and salmonator you'll go to heaven, if not you're going to hell.

That's not really an issue of "race". Also, I think (though as an agnostic, I just go by a somewhat split pool of friends) that most Christians believe that, or at least should if they truly follow the bible. I suppose you could call it bigoted, but I think that's a stretch. He's simply a guy that follows the majority religion in America and wears it on his sleeve more than most.

And if Focus on the Family left it at that, they wouldn't be bigots. But they are, and Tebow was willing to tie his marketing arm to them, which reflects poorly on him.

Historically it's difficult to know where Dan Marino fits into this conversation. Can't argue with the numbers, but also can't argue with his lack of a Superbowl ring. (Especially with Shula as his coach). Kind of jarring record, IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And if Focus on the Family left it at that, they wouldn't be bigots. But they are, and Tebow was willing to tie his marketing arm to them, which reflects poorly on him.

Would you also say it reflected poorly on him if he was close personal friends with a bigot, listened to him make hate speech first hand numerous times, and took a quote from said bigot for his book title, allowing that bigot to write the forward?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

As a player? Or as an executive?

I was thinking player. I always hear the younger generation, people who never saw him pitch call him, "The greatest pitcher of all-time." The best strikeout pitcher? Yes. The best pitcher, no?

He was before my time but I've looked at his numbers especially his Wins to Losses and he does not seem like the greatest of all-time to me.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

I was thinking player. I always hear the younger generation, people who never saw him pitch call him, "The greatest pitcher of all-time." The best strikeout pitcher? Yes. The best pitcher, no?

He was before my time but I've looked at his numbers especially his Wins to Losses and he does not seem like the greatest of all-time to me.

He wasn't the Greatest of All Time, but please don't let wins and losses be the only thing you look at when evaluating this. Dude played on some downright awful teams in...well, each stop. I wouldn't put him above recent greats like Roidger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez or even Greg Maddux, but Nolan Ryan was damn good.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Nolan Ryan = Overrated.

He wasn't the Greatest of All Time, but please don't let wins and losses be the only thing you look at when evaluating this. Dude played on some downright awful teams in...well, each stop. I wouldn't put him above recent greats like Roidger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez or even Greg Maddux, but Nolan Ryan was damn good.

27 years. 5,714 strikeouts. 7 no-hitters.

Archived