Say it ain't so, Joe

Viper

1 hour ago, Harmening said:

Is this guy just trolling for reactions, or does honestly believe the crap he's writing?

messageboardmasthead.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Perfect, that just makes it easier when the person you're crucifying can't defend themselves.

You're missing the point. Paterno being dead is the only reason there are no charges being brought against him. Generally speaking? We don't put the dead on trial in the 21st century.

Though to be perfectly honest? I wouldn't mind making an exception and taking a page from Charles II's book. Let's dig him up, charge him, sentence him, and then divide the body up and send the pieces to the most high profile NCAA football programs as a warning.

4 minutes ago, pmoehrin said:

Been awhile since I read a meltdown on this board that was this entertaining.

This tweet from five years ago turned out to be like the entire internet in 2016.

2 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Yeah, cause that's all they talked about at the university, in the classrooms, on the news, in the papers, on the street, in the bars, on the radio, in the car, at home, and in church was how great it was the Sandusky was doing the rumba with little boys and that they were getting away with it, AND winning football games. Right.

Im guessing you have never been to that part of Pennsylvania...have you?

No, but there were talking about how great that Joe Pa guy was and how much he had done for the region and the school and how they couldn't imagine either without that Joe Pa guy.

Which is a bit of a problem when that Joe Pa guy used his influence in both school and region to effectively protect and enable a child molester from, at bare minimum, 1999 onward.

-------------------------------------------------------

Look, I work in higher ed.  I get annual training that tells me in no uncertain terms that it is my duty that, should I find out that we've got an honest to God child predator in our midst, I am to immediately go to the cops.  Don't kick it upstairs, don't sweep it under the rug, do not pass go, do not collect $200.  (For the record said training also applies to other sexual assault instances).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

11 minutes ago, rams80 said:

That said, all of that circumstantial evidence in those depositions seems to be fairly damning.

Damning does not equate guilt, and until there is actual proof of this guilt then it's just as you said....circumstantial.

Thread's one more "I'm not owned" away from "Joe Paterno's corpse will skate on the blood of the non-believers," so I'm just gonna stand back and let it all be.

1 minute ago, Viola73 said:

Damning does not equate guilt, and until there is actual proof of this guilt then it's just as you said....circumstantial.

A man can build 1000 bridges and :censored: one horse.  He won't be known as a bridge builder; he'll be known as a horse :censored: er. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I have some sports heroes, but none of them were ever important enough to me to defend them if they'd done what Paterno did. It's only sports and sometimes our heroes disappoint us. Your football grandfather wasn't the guy you thought he was and turns out was actually kind of a huge piece of s***. He doesn't deserve recognition, let alone a :censored:ing statue. Move on. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

25 minutes ago, rams80 said:

I'll put it this way...there's plenty of evidence that the  head football coach at any given P5 institution has a direct line to the county/city's criminal justice institutions (and has for decades)...with the most recent explicit example coming at Baylor.  While said line is typically used to get the players out of trouble, I don't think it is too much of a stretch to assume that it could be used TO TOSS AN ACCUSED CHILD MOLESTER INTO THE POKEY.

Also I'm pretty sure if Paterno said that Sandusky probably should be discouraged from returning to campus upon his quietly forced retirement, he would have been banned from campus without a second thought.

You are right. At times Joe used his influence, on campus, in regards to his players.

I recall there were a few players who got into a fight at a Frat party and the campus police were involved but I believe Joe talked to the campus police and had the players suspended for a game or two and then had the entire team clean the stadium for a few home games rather than face charges. 

Again, you assume that Paterno had such influence to circumvent the entire judicial system of Centre County and have a man charged with child molestation, when, according to documents, Sandusky had been investigated NUMEROUS times and they found nothing. 

Actually, when the 3 were thinking of giving Sandusky his status as a employee of the University, Paterno objected to it, but was ignored.

The amazing thing is that Viola has acknowledge the culpability of several people.  But there is a blind spot here. Perhaps an example of the negatives of hero-worship.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Well, it is par for the course. Liberal crusaders want to take away the 1st and 2nd Amendments, kill the unborn, give money to people who don't want to work, and give illegal immigrants all the benefits of the average John Q Public Taxpayer Esquire....Progressives is now a synonym for backwards.

In 2011, I probably would have replied to that post with something like "wow, you are 13 different kinds of stupid", but a few years ago, I decided I needed to be nicer to people I disagree with. So...I'll just say that I disagree with you. A lot. 

BB52Big.jpg

29 minutes ago, rickyISking said:

It seems you're always on the wrong side on serious debates. I hope you're a troll, because God bless you if you aren't. 

That's like saying "you are on the wrong side of history." There is no wrong side of history...there is only history. Just like here there is no wrong side of a debate there is just the debate. 

8 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

You are right. At times Joe used his influence, on campus, in regards to his players.

I recall there were a few players who got into a fight at a Frat party and the campus police were involved but I believe Joe talked to the campus police and had the players suspended for a game or two and then had the entire team clean the stadium for a few home games rather than face charges. 

Again, you assume that Paterno had such influence to circumvent the entire judicial system of Centre County and have a man charged with child molestation, when, according to documents, Sandusky had been investigated NUMEROUS times and they found nothing. 

Actually, when the 3 were thinking of giving Sandusky his status as a employee of the University, Paterno objected to it, but was ignored.

How often did those investigations consult Paterno?  On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is "we didn't really bother to investigate at all" and 10 is "BENGHAZI!!!" how deeply did those investigations probe?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

That's like saying "you are on the wrong side of history." There is no wrong side of history...there is only history. Just like here there is no wrong side of a debate there is just the debate. 

I'm pretty sure being on the side of the people who covered up decades of child molestation is the wrong side.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

No, that's not how history works at all.

Today, we are all otaku.

29 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I have some sports heroes, but none of them were ever important enough to me to defend them if they'd done what Paterno did. It's only sports and sometimes our heroes disappoint us. Your football grandfather wasn't the guy you thought he was and turns out was actually kind of a huge piece of s***. He doesn't deserve recognition, let alone a :censored:ing statue. Move on. 

That's exactly why I don't see sports figures as heroes to begin with. They are human. The hero worship they get for playing or coaching is BS and media-derived. 

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

There is most definitely a "wrong" side of history.

Without a doubt. The KKK is on the wrong side of history. Segregationists were on the wrong side of history. Slave owners were on the wrong side of history. Juggalos are on the wrong side of history. 

That's one of the stupidest arguments in a posting history full of stupid arguments. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Without a doubt. The KKK is on the wrong side of history. Segregationists were on the wrong side of history. Slave owners were on the wrong side of history. Juggalos are on the wrong side of history. 

That's one of the stupidest arguments in a posting history full of stupid arguments. 

But what if they aren't? Makes you think.

Note: Don't click the below.

Spoiler

566245dd-9cb4-403b-874a-1e4884448772.jpe

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

First off...no I'm not.

Secondly, you're morally reprehensible for assuming a difference of political opinion means someone wants to repeal part of the US Bill of Rights.

Finally, you're morally reprehensible for bringing that into a discussion about a man who enabled a child predator, and are trying to use said discussion to win political points.

Umm..http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/10/democrats-guns-second-amendment-213229

I didn't bring politics into the discussion, personally. I just responded...it's called a message board. You know, a forum.

Yeah, I'm trying to "win" political points with conservative views on a site so far left that Noam Chomsky looks at some of the comments you guys make and shakes his head.

Now can we get back to your moral reprehensibility.

Archived