Colorado Rockies

JTernup

Just making an observation of the board and not intending to single anyone out.

It kills me how things play out here. Depending on which teams jersey release forum you get a variety of responses from people. I know these all come down to opinion but this is just an observation.

People say they want a team to be creative but complain when it's too out of the box or "not baseball.". They complain when a team tries to be bold with the colors but also complain if the colors are too dull. They complain if a team that " could have a classic look in a few years" changes jerseys, but want teams that have a long and well received identity to completely rehaul their sets. They complain if a team tries to go back to an old identity or be retro but hate when they go away from it in the first place. The List goes on.

I love the Rockies shoulder patch logo and the Seattle compass. I think they are to classic looking logos that have stood and atleast the compass logo has been well received. I would include the Marlins old hat logo, becuase it went unchanged for 18 years. It just seems people want change for the sake of change and then you can about guarantee that some of the people that wanted change will probably dislike the change that happens for one of the above listed reasons. It's a never ending cycle. Alternates is still where the change can happen without removing a complete identity. A chance Introduce a new secondary logo or color. I think alot of teams are taking the easy way out nowadays on the alternates.

Not trying to stir feathers, just making an observation.

Well, we have a lot of people here with a lot of strong opinions. It's probably not the same people saying "mix it up," then criticizing a loud look when it comes out. Also, I think a lot of people judge each team individually.

I think a Rockies thread is a good place to bring it up: They are a 1993 expansion team in a very traditional league of mostly blue and red. They are the last team using purple, road pinstripes and a batting helmet that fades from one color to the next. They are the only team wearing a color vest with color sleeves (first black-purple, now black-black). Do I like all of these design choices? No. But if anyone should get a pass for trying things that are outside of the box, it's one of the newest teams in the league. I hope they hold on to some of the pieces that make them unique.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People say they want a team to be creative but complain when it's too out of the box or "not baseball.". They complain when a team tries to be bold with the colors but also complain if the colors are too dull. They complain if a team that " could have a classic look in a few years" changes jerseys, but want teams that have a long and well received identity to completely rehaul their sets. They complain if a team tries to go back to an old identity or be retro but hate when they go away from it in the first place. The List goes on.

Unless you can show that the same people are making these contradictory statements, all you've shown is that this is a wide community with a diverse collection of opinions.

Unless you can show that the same people are making these contradictory statements, all you've shown is that this is a wide community with a diverse collection of opinions.

How dare we.

Just making an observation of the board and not intending to single anyone out.

It kills me how things play out here. Depending on which teams jersey release forum you get a variety of responses from people. I know these all come down to opinion but this is just an observation.

I love the Rockies shoulder patch logo and the Seattle compass. I think they are to classic looking logos that have stood and atleast the compass logo has been well received. I would include the Marlins old hat logo, becuase it went unchanged for 18 years. It just seems people want change for the sake of change and then you can about guarantee that some of the people that wanted change will probably dislike the change that happens for one of the above listed reasons. It's a never ending cycle. Alternates is still where the change can happen without removing a complete identity. A chance Introduce a new secondary logo or color. I think alot of teams are taking the easy way out nowadays on the alternates.

Not trying to stir feathers, just making an observation.

Well, we have a lot of people here with a lot of strong opinions. It's probably not the same people saying "mix it up," then criticizing a loud look when it comes out. Also, I think a lot of people judge each team individually.

I think a Rockies thread is a good place to bring it up: They are a 1993 expansion team in a very traditional league of mostly blue and red. They are the last team using purple, road pinstripes and a batting helmet that fades from one color to the next. They are the only team wearing a color vest with color sleeves (first black-purple, now black-black). Do I like all of these design choices? No. But if anyone should get a pass for trying things that are outside of the box, it's one of the newest teams in the league. I hope they hold on to some of the pieces that make them unique.

I think a good portion of people think that they half assed it in '93 by creating an pedestrian uniform design and applying it with trendy 90's colors.

I think the '95 set was the best Rockies set ever. No number on front, no pinstripes on the road (solid purple "ROCKIES" on road). It was a very clean, very classy.

I like how "pedestrian" designs are looked down upon... Some of the best uniforms in baseball are very "pedestrian". The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, et al don't have wild out-of-the-box designs.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

They are the last team using purple

...and they shouldn't go away from it. They chose that color "for purple mountain majesties", not because it was unique like teal...

IMO, they should go back to the 1994-99 design, replace the road script with "COLORADO" in solid purple, ditch the black alternates, and update the purple alternate to include piping like the road jersey, have it say "ROCKIES" instead, and remove the front numbers....maybe even a swap of the black and white on the lettering and numbers to make them stand out more...

That's basically all I was saying and just trying to make an unneeded observation that no one is completely really pleased with how these things go. Maybe I was mostly talking to my self.

I like how "pedestrian" designs are looked down upon... Some of the best uniforms in baseball are very "pedestrian". The Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, et al don't have wild out-of-the-box designs.

Ideally, the aesthetics of a league should cover the entire continuum. There should be something for everyone, and the varying styles should complement each other. My perfect major leagues have the Reds and Yankees as spartan as can be, the Cardinals and Braves being classic yet unconventional, and the Marlins and Blue Jays flying out of the box. I feel the same way about NBA courts and pretty much any such set.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would have to agree that I do think the Rockies could stand for a full update. There's just something about their font I've never cared for. I like purple, and they should never move away from it, but their primary logo and cap logo could probably be tweaked.

Rockies and Mariners look dated imo

both stuck in the 90's

I disagree on the Mariners. To me they are a solid, traditional, if uninspiring look. Not dated but in need of some punch. I think the use of more of the teal, a throwback to the 90s, will be a welcome tweak.

Rockies and Mariners look dated imo

both stuck in the 90's

I disagree on the Mariners. To me they are a solid, traditional, if uninspiring look. Not dated but in need of some punch. I think the use of more of the teal, a throwback to the 90s, will be a welcome tweak.

I've long thought that the M's should switch out the silver for some form of gold or another--be it one form of metallic or athletic. That, along with more use of the teal, could give it the punch you're looking for.

As for the Rockies, what about combining it with a dark gray and/or light blue?

I'm as big a fan of the Rockies' black and purple as any (and love thier identity as a whole, honestly), but I've always wondered...what if the Rockies rebranded with the Avalanche/Rapids colors? I think that'd be a really neat color set to have in baseball, and would fit for Colorado.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I'm well aware of that. My point was that if any team was to wear it, Colorado I think would pull it off best (and yes, that includes the Phillies. They belong in red, not burgundy).

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

All of the purple and pine Rockies concepts have looked good. Purple, pine, and a touch of black and silver would be perfect.

I really think that purple, pine, black, and just a wee bit of old gold would work as well.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...

That looks good. The color scheme really does work for them. Worked so poorly for the Milwaukee Bucks that I think people must just write it off forever.

Same color scheme works well for Wimbledon tennis tournament, with the better choice of Pantone, it could work. I like the logo no matter what color it is.

Archived