The MLS Impact jersey presentation: dec 1st

bleuet

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and that';s fine. congrats. you were founded earlier than us. still doesnt mean you didnt take our colors.

Yeah, it does. The Impact have been wearing blue, black, and white since 1992. The Clash/Earthquakes didn't start wearing those colours until 2000. If anything San Jose copied Montreal.

and that';s fine. congrats. you were founded earlier than us. still doesnt mean you didnt take our colors.

Yeah, it does. The Impact have been wearing blue, black, and white since 1992. The Clash/Earthquakes didn't start wearing those colours until 2000. If anything San Jose copied Montreal.

Good point.

You can "own" the original Clash colors, and the Impact can have these. :P

A classic bit conservative look that should stand the years.

Until somebody new buys the team and they go with what is trendy at the time but becomes quickly dated while fans split between the new and old looks but before the old look is returned, the MLS folds. Don't fret though, the look is resurrected with a new Montreal Impact franchise in the next league that will look to take soccer to the mainstream of North America... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

Good point.

You can "own" the original Clash colors, and the Impact can have these. :P

how about montreal has blue and silver, and san jose gets blue/white/black? :P

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

In the end, I like them. OK enough now lol.

You know (taking off my soccer bashing hat for minute) if this was any other sport, people would be all over this saying how classy, how wonderfully understated, how nicely traditional it was. When people post pics of of their favourite uniforms, it's always the old traditional types; simple colour palette and traditional striping. It's no more boring than some of most traditional uniforms in all the other leagues.

tigercatssignature-1.png

You know (taking off my soccer bashing hat for minute) if this was any other sport, people would be all over this saying how classy, how wonderfully understated, how nicely traditional it was.

I'll say it - within the constraints laid down by the ugly Adidas templates, these are fantastic uniforms. Gorgeous.

I still hate the name, but they're doing the design well.

Im still not crazy about the crest, but it sure looks better without all the superfluous gradients. The kits might grow on me, but they look a bit like a youth team. look at a team like Chelsea, who has the same basic colors, but looks class for the most part. Adidas has a way with some clubs, but the average and below average designs are just bad, and seems to take up about 80% of their collection. And I'm over the mirror image clash kit trend in the MLS. Underwhelmed.

I don't think any team can claim to own royal blue and white as a color scheme. It's hardly unique.

The kits are not groundbreaking, true, but I like them. Safe but good. Also worth noting IMO -- Seattle, Vancouver and Portland all changed their look when they went from the second division to MLS, but this is effectively what Montreal was wearing the last few years.

So they have BMO as a sponsor too? Or is Toronto FC getting a new sponsor?

For the time being BMO will be the shirt sponsor for both.

They are on with TFC until 2015 at least.

As for Montreal's kits, eh. I echo Gothamite's comments. Given the restraints of the Adidas template, these are pretty good. I do like the sublimated (or whatever the proper term is) fleur de lies. Nice little touch.

I do think they missed an opportunity by not mimicking the Inter kits. Montreal used to have something like that in the past so it works on that level plus it's smart marketing.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I do think they missed an opportunity by not mimicking the Inter kits. Montreal used to have something like that in the past so it works on that level plus it's smart marketing.

Impact management hasn't missed a marketing/merchandising opportunity. In point of fact, they've created one.

Given the presence of the blue-and-black striping in their badge, as well as the fact that they've worn an Inter-like striped jersey in the past, it is highly likely that Impact management plans to introduce a striped third kit in the future.

Given that they were likely to sell a bundle of their inaugural-season MLS kits regardless of design, why waste an Inter-like kit design on their primary and change kits this year? Roll striped jerseys out next year as their third and they stand to make even more money on top of this year's sales. If they'd gone with striped jerseys for the inaugural-season, I don't envision a solid-colored third jersey of any hue generating much in the way of sales next year, as it would pale in comparison to the relative novelty in the current MLS lineup of the Inter-like kits.

Bottom line? It is far more savvy to roll-out relatively generic uniforms this year (when the Impact's debut in MLS will spur sales of them) and an Inter-like third jersey in Season 2, than it would be to unveil a relatively unique - by MLS standards - kit now, followed-up by a generic third next year.

Archived