Texas Rangers

McCall

Not sure if I'm actually doing a series, but right now I guess I'm just doing fixes for teams I think are close to their potential. So after doing the Indians and Braves, I now did the Rangers. First thing, I returned "Rangers" to the homes and ditched all black. I made all lettering/numerals blue trimmed in red. Simple as that. Kept the custom number font that goes well with the wordmarks, but returned the names to basic MLB block. They just seemed to cramped with the custom "thorns" they currently use. I feel they still go well enough with the numbers. Even though I don't really care for all the Walmart style 2-colored piping that's popping up, the Rangers seem to make it work. On their actual uniforms you don't really see two colors, but they kind of blend while still seeing blue AND red. It just kind of works better than the others. I reduced the alts to one blue jersey, for now, and switched to the old Rangers script. It seems to be popular so I thought I'd bring it back. Nice tie-in to Nolan Ryan owning the team now ^_^ . Anyways, here ya go:

TexasRangersUniforms.gif

Speak your mind.

Everything's already outlined in red. How could I add more?

How about changing the number to red and outline them in blue?

Nope. Doesn't work well with the overall design.

And I'm not sure if it was your intention, but what you've got sells me on one thing: the fact that I can tell this is a blue team first. It's like they're stuck between red and blue with all the alternate combinations, so I'm glad you reduced the noise and kept it simple. More red here would be a mistake, IMO.

Everything's already outlined in red. How could I add more?

How about changing the number to red and outline them in blue?

Nope. Doesn't work well with the overall design.

And I'm not sure if it was your intention, but what you've got sells me on one thing: the fact that I can tell this is a blue team first. It's like they're stuck between red and blue with all the alternate combinations, so I'm glad you reduced the noise and kept it simple. More red here would be a mistake, IMO.

I'm pretty sure it was intentional. I completely agree that Texas should be a blue team first. Especially with McCall's use of the Rangers script on the alternate. Like I said before, it's not a particularly flashy design, but it is well thought out.

I don't think the grey jersey works. I think you need a white outline so it doesn't get muddled. Single color can work excellent on grey without a white outline, but the red kind of makes it all bleed together.

Definitely not. The blue lettering with red trim is fine on the grey. Teams that add the white outline on the grey jersey are making a mistake (Tigers). I dare say you have a perfect set here, except for one thing: all your lettering i solid color with red outline, then the cap logo is solid white with red drop shadow. I'd switch it to be a solid white T with red outline.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

This reminds me of the 2012 Padres unveiling. While it fixes the problems, it's just a tad too dark. It needs some kick to it. Maybe try using a lighter red or simply making red the primary color. I'dd also add a white outline to the script on the road uniform. Right now it just reminds me of the Indians road uniform. Nice job on getting rid of the clutter though.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

1. Agreed with AH re: drop shadow on cap vs outline on everything else. Should be consistent.

2. That custom number font really doesn't work IMO. It tries to mimick the wordmark font with the thorns, but is in a different style so it clashes. I would either go with a truly-custom font (i.e. one in the exact style as the wordmark instead of a modified mlb block) or just a plain one (mlb block or varsity (or whatever the Yankees use.))

3. I know it's in their current package (or at least I think it is) but I don't understand how the Nolan Ryan era script jersey fits in. If it's a throwback alt then fine, but it should have a throwback cap to go along with it. Otherwise, it doesn't look like it belongs with the rest of the uniforms in the set.

4. While you're at it, maybe design a new sleeve patch. I've never thought that a literal state flag was very creative. I know you didn't design it, but since you're fixing things, maybe take the opportunity to improve it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If MLB block would go with the wordmarks, then the custom font does too. It's simply basic block with the thorns to match the wordmarks. They don't cause that much of a change from the block numbers to all of a sudden be considered clashing fonts.

I tend to agree with you on that point, but I just don't think those numbers are very attractive. A little overdone for me. This might be a good place to use a serif varsity block like the Cowboys used to use. Something that says 'western' while being rigid enough to act as a complementary contrast to the more organic nature of the front lettering.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived