Why don't NBA teams use their primary logos on front of their jerseys?

Ark

I can't believe I just noticed this (seriously >_>). NBA teams use an inferior wordmark on the the front of their jerseys even though their official primary is much better. For example, the late 90s Sonics...

Actual jerseys:

seattle-supersonics-sam-perkins-194-topps-1994-95-stadium-club-basketball-card-689-p.jpg

---

Primary logo:

g98gtsog4k7deexgpo81fi0vn.gif

The primary logo is very similar but it's a just so much cooler. But as far as I know, basically every other team does the same thing. And there are tons of examples where the jersey logo doesn't even come close.

What's the reason for ths?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I just noticed this (seriously >_>). NBA teams use an inferior wordmark on the the front of their jerseys even though their official primary is much better. For example, the late 90s Sonics...

Actual jerseys:

seattle-supersonics-sam-perkins-194-topps-1994-95-stadium-club-basketball-card-689-p.jpg

---

Primary logo:

g98gtsog4k7deexgpo81fi0vn.gif

The primary logo is very similar but it's a just so much cooler. But as far as I know, basically every other team does the same thing. And there are tons of examples where the jersey logo doesn't even come close.

What's the reason for ths?

Logos look terrible in front of a basketball jersey?

1995-Toronto-Raptors-1.jpg

1489132_display_image.jpg?1307684317

Only exceptions are the Warriors and 90's hawks

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Well not even that many teams have even tried using true full logos. And a lot of those which are bad aren't bad just because of the logos. Such as the gradient pinstripes on the 90s arockets jerseys.

The Barkley Suns jerseys are also great imo

You can't have smaller numbers on the top right or left? I agree that the Tar Heels jersey isn't that great, but I think it would look much better if there was a smaller number or no number at all in front instead of that large number.

I guess NBA jerseys require front numbers though? Still, numbers to the top right or left would also be simaler to what some NHL teams use today.

a-forte2-101300.jpg

Does that look good?

Thought not.

(Yes, I'm aware that's a college team. Don't bother pointing it out.)

Oh god! Avert your eyes, it's the Jordan debacle! Those lasted one season, and was recieved horribly by fans. Not to mention the Heels were horrible that season.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/lost-uniforms-uncs-logo-jersey-a-y2k-glitch-even-jordan-couldnt-pull-off/

Actually after looking at it again it's not even that bad of a jersey. :blink:

It sounds like people didn't like change (according to the article).

Said one fan: “It’s not that it isn’t a nice jersey, but it breaks from the tradition of having the ‘North Carolina’ across the chest. Just the fact that North Carolina is spelled out in block letters on the chest [on the old jerseys] is a traditional staple.”

EDIT: Although on the other hand it definitely didn't need to be fixed.

Sometimes a wordmark in the logo makea the perfect transition onto the basketball jersey front. Perfect example is the SONICS. Looks great. The Vancouver GRIZZLIES font also worked great on the Grizzlies expansion team uni. A lot of fans don't feel the same but the reality is that the Grizzlies uniforms were a very solid team jersey.

I also wondered why the Clippers never used their logo wordmark from the early '80's since it actually works nicely. Then I realized I was talking about the Clippers... Ugh.

http://tinyurl.com/c8k5exl

But you've raised a really smart insightful topic.

I grew up with hockey, so I always wondered why other sports didn't follow hockey's example and use a nice graphical representation on their front. I thought it was great when the NBA and the CFL both started to experiment with this look. In retrospect it was a terrible idea and the uniforms that eliminated the logos were much better looking than their previous incarnations. Only hockey uniforms look good with logos on the front, it's just the nature of the beast...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Well not even that many teams have even tried using true full logos. And a lot of those which are bad aren't bad just because of the logos. Such as the gradient pinstripes on the 90s arockets jerseys.

The Barkley Suns jerseys are also great imo

Oh wow, when I first posted this I thought you meant "Basketball reasons" as in the large logo would drag the jersey down and make playing more difficult. :wacko:

Archived