NBA shot clock tenths of a second.

dbadefense1990

best possible solution is to not show sigs in your settings. I've had it that way since I joined.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Does anyone else notice from these preseason games that the shot clock now has tenths of a second? I certainly did during the Clips-Lakers games.

I have no reason to watch NBA preseason games, especially if there was only one week of practice and just two games.

Does anyone else notice from these preseason games that the shot clock now has tenths of a second? I certainly did during the Clips-Lakers games.

Are you talking the shot clocks in the arenas or on the TV score bug? Just saw the highlights from the Raptors-Celtics game in Boston, and the ones in the Garden did not have tenths of a second. But, then again, why not have them? If it helps refs get the call right, all the better.

Back in the Nineties, Michigan State had three-digit shot clocks that would start counting down in tenths once the clock was under 10 seconds. I think Texas might have had them around the same time. Interesting to see the idea's been revived, though it only seems like it would be useful on out-of-bounds plays when the clock's low.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Are you talking the shot clocks in the arenas or on the TV score bug? Just saw the highlights from the Raptors-Celtics game in Boston, and the ones in the Garden did not have tenths of a second. But, then again, why not have them? If it helps refs get the call right, all the better.

The clocks at Staples Center had tenths, which also showed on the TV scoring bugs. Maybe Darktronics or whoever manufactures shot clocks is doing this gradually to every team.

Its one of those things that's done purely for looks.

I can tell you players could really care less if the shot clock had or didn't have tenths. If that clock says 1 you better put up the ball. Nobody is going to try to start running a play with exactly 11.7 seconds on the shot clock either. As for the refs the shot clock that's on the scorers table has tenths of a second on it, and that's the clock they go by if they need to add time on, so it doesn't have any effect on them either.

I can't say its stupid because it doesn't take away anything from the game or cause any added confusion, but it doesn't do anything to help either. There's just no need for it in general. Any team that installs one of these things for non aesthetic purposes is just wasting money.

Mod business:

Do you really need the banners of your teams repeated three times, taking up my entire screen?

What did this have to do with the topic at hand?

-----

Non-mod opinion:

I thought I saw that they go to tenths when it's under 10 seconds.

Isn't there a rule about shots from a dead ball at the end of a period having to be with .3 or more on the clock? Wouldn't that apply to the shot clock as well?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Back in the Nineties, Michigan State had three-digit shot clocks that would start counting down in tenths once the clock was under 10 seconds. I think Texas might have had them around the same time. Interesting to see the idea's been revived, though it only seems like it would be useful on out-of-bounds plays when the clock's low.

New Mexico did too.

Isn't there a rule about shots from a dead ball at the end of a period having to be with .3 or more on the clock? Wouldn't that apply to the shot clock as well?

Isn't the shot clock usually off at that point?

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

If it is a dead ball with 0.3 seconds left, a shot clock is basically unnecessary. It would mean that the last possession would have been done (for NBA purposes) with 24.4 seconds left and with human error, that is difficult to occur.

Mod business:

Do you really need the banners of your teams repeated three times, taking up my entire screen?

What did this have to do with the topic at hand?

It's my own personal crusade. I make two posts a year directly questioning users why their sigs need to take up my entire screen. Nothing on the topic, but seemed like a good opportunity. And it worked. (Yes I know I can turn sigs off bit I generally like seeing them.)

On the topic, do the refs use the shot clocks on the backboard? Or do they have separate clocks for review purposes? If it's an aesthtic thing, I don't see any problem.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If it is a dead ball with 0.3 seconds left, a shot clock is basically unnecessary. It would mean that the last possession would have been done (for NBA purposes) with 24.4 seconds left and with human error, that is difficult to occur.

What I was asking is if it would apply to a play showing .3 on the shot clock and some other longer-than-0:24.0 time on the main clock.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

In the Wizards first preseason homegame against Philly, I noticed the same thing. Maybe certain arenas have installed tenths of a second on their shotclocks? Although I would think this is the kind of thing that would have to be implemented league-wide, if implemented.

BTW, it was only a matter of time before this happened. I honestly don't know why it took them so long to do it.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

MSG is still going "old-school".

219319162370193996bad5fd3a5f06a8-getty-136060509.jpg

Actually, I saw on tv that the shot clocks at MSG (and the Prudential Center) switch to tenths when the clock was under 5. When the clock was at, say, 3.7, the 3 would be in the 10s column and a small 7 would be in the 1s column.

Edit: You can kind of see it in this video of the game in NJ. Scroll ahead to 1:30.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/nets/2011/12/17/0011100005_nyk_njn_recap.nba

Archived