NASL's Minnesota Stars Now Minnesota United FC

-kj

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand why they wanted it to be Minnesota United for the appeal to the whole state spiel.

Which "Minnesota Stars" didn't do because...?

Listen, I understand it's a new owner (hell, it's an owner, period, after two seasons of being league-operated), he's a billionaire, and it's his team to do with as he sees fit. But when he sees fit to call his team "Minn United" and dress it up like Man City, really, someone needs to pull Daddy Warbucks aside and explain why maybe this all isn't such a swell idea.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I understand why they wanted it to be Minnesota United for the appeal to the whole state spiel.

Which "Minnesota Stars" didn't do because...?

Listen, I understand it's a new owner (hell, it's an owner, period, after two seasons of being league-operated), he's a billionaire, and it's his team to do with as he sees fit. But when he sees fit to call his team "Minn United" and dress it up like Man City, really, someone needs to pull Daddy Warbucks aside and explain why maybe this all isn't such a swell idea.

I'm not agreeing with the name change.

Just commented on a trend that teams will often use larger geographic areas in their names to widen their appeal. Phoenix Coyotes changing their name to Arizona, Minnesota everything instead of Minneapolis, Golden State Warriors etc. The only notable franchise that bucked the trend I can recall is the Miami Marlins.

I can see why the ownership wanted to try and Europeanize the team name because of recent trends, but I don't necessarily agree with it.

Love the logo, HATE the name. Come on, let's stop with the Euro-centric names. Actual nicknames set North American soccer apart from the rest of the world.

BEnBrYFCEAAeAOW.jpg

FYI for all you non-Minnesotans: that is a Common Loon, the state bird.

There's a Washington DC joke in there..no wait, Congresspeople aren't common, just loons

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Well, crap.

Another sportslogos.net designed identity down the tubes...

Mockba did a great job on the Stars, just to be tossed aside.

Yeah, damn.

I actually like the new name and identity, but... damn.

I'm in agreement. I like the new identity, but not at the expense of Mockba's design, which was fantastic.

Interesting bit of dialogue from the StarTribune on the name change:

(Team President Nick) Rogers also says he's not worried about trying to publicize the name, the fourth for pro soccer in the state in five years. "The research we've seen is that most people aren't aware the Stars exist at all. The people that do know it's there are going to be paying attention to us anyway, and the people that don't know we're here are going to be hearing about it for the first time, so I'm not too concerned about it."

LINK

Actual nicknames set North American soccer apart from the rest of the world.

Is that a requirement? Or even desirable?

Teams in Europe and elsewhere, use "FC", "United", etc, because their original founding was as a sporting/sports club, where several people united to form the entity. The soccer/football team came later.

It's not a requirement, but it does help in souvenir sales. Desirable, yes. Would the Yankees be as popular and unpopular if the were just the New York American League Baseball Club? Could you even recognize them apart from all the other AL clubs?

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Kind of an interesting take by Rogers, and I actually agree to a certain point.

The team will at some point move to Minneapolis, whether in the new Vikings stadium or a soccer specific one. The ultimate goal obviously is to be tapped for expansion in MLS.

The Wilfs have a ~5 or so year window for an MLS team at the new stadium according to their contract, but I'm suspicious that MLS would want a team playing in an what will in all likelihood be an indoor facility built for football.

As a Minnesotan, I'm a bit embarrassed that this team has had so many separate identities in the past few years (Thunder, NSC Stars, Stars FC, now United FC). And it's true what the Star Trib said, not many people even know this team exists. The truth is, soccer here in the the Twin Cities isn't all that popular. The NLL's Swarm rival the United FC in terms of popularity and I think even beat it in sales. That being said, I think if we get an MLS team, the response would be mostly great. I think a Division I team would make people care about soccer. A lot of people are surprised the Lynx are doing well (now having a winning team helps, but the Lynx were crap from 1999 up until about 2010 and still survived).

Back to the logo/jerseys: love them. Not crazy about the name. Stars was odd because of the old North Stars (R.I.P.) but even Minnesota Loons FC would've been better than United FC.

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Teams in Europe and elsewhere, use "FC", "United", etc, because their original founding was as a sporting/sports club, where several people united to form the entity. The soccer/football team came later.

I think you're thinking of "AC" there, Most clubs use "FC" because they're, well, football clubs. Same reason that you'll see "Baseball Club" in the ofiicial corporate names, and some logos, of baseball teams. Some of them were created by existing sporting societies, but in other cases (like Barcelona FC) the sporting society grew up around the football club.

I know you're wrong in the case of "United", which was sometimes used when two clubs joined into one, and sometimes was selected because it sounded "football-y".

I have no problem with any American club using United because they like the sound. That's exactly why West Ham United, Leeds United and yes. even Manchester United adopted it.

I always thought Manchester United was a combination of a few teams hence the "United" tag, but when you said that further research says its just a name. Always trust Gothamite™.

I'm not bothered by American teams adopting European sounding names for their clubs. Haven't South American, Asian, Central American and even Mexcian teams done the same? I don't see it as any different than the Tokyo Baseball team being known as the Giants.

Considering it's just a minor league team, the constant name changing isn't a big deal. The new identity is fresh and considerably sleeker and more professional looking, which I assume was the new owner's goal.

I don't entirely hate when teams use Euro-ish names, but I just wish they hadn't chosen United. MUFC? Ugh.

(...and, yes, I'm trying very, very, very hard to be objective about the whole thing.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived