2012 Pro Football HOF Ballot

Mac the Knife

Going off of Jay's thread, I realized that the Pro Football HOF listed its finalists this weekend. I thought I'd launch a similar thread to his to see who among them would pass CCSLC muster for induction.

The 2012 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Jerome Bettis

Tim Brown

Jack Butler

Cris Carter

Dermontti Dawson

Ed DeBartolo, Jr.

Chris Doleman

Kevin Greene

Charles Haley

Cortez Kennedy

Curtis Martin

Bill Parcells

Andre Reed

Willie Roaf

Will Shields

Dick Stanfel

Aeneas Williams

Discuss... and vote for up to 7!

nav-logo.png

Well you have to vote for seven every year which I really like about the NFL HOF.

It prevents what I think your seeing now from the baseball HOF which is a freeze out by the writers.

I'd say yes to Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Kortez Kennedy, Bill Parcells Willie Roaf, Will Shields and Aeneas Williams. Doubtful it will go that way because that's three lineman and lineman generally get no love. There's a couple other guys on the list like Dermontti Dawson and Kevin Greene that I think should be in as well, but if I'm limited to seven those are the guys I'm going with.

Let me preface this by saying that I think it is way too easy to get inducted into the Pro Football HOF. It's safe to say that I'm going to leave off players that a lot of you think should get in. With that in mind...

Dermontti Dawson: Fulfills my HOF rule for O-linemen; if I immediately know who you are, that means you're probably a hall of famer.

Curtis Martin: Way better than he gets credit for.

Andre Reed: Doesn't have eye-popping stats but I think he's HOF caliber.

Willie Roaf: See my o-linemen rule.

BB52Big.jpg

Well you have to vote for seven every year which I really like about the NFL HOF.

It prevents what I think your seeing now from the baseball HOF which is a freeze out by the writers.

I would much rather see a Hall of Fame class with no inductees than the NFL's quota system.

I don't see it as a freeze out at all. I see it like this. In baseball you actually have to a hall of fame caliber career in order to be inducted into the HOF. I wish the same could be said about the NFL. The baseball writers got it right this year; I think. I'm still not 100% sold on Larkin.

I'll be the first to admit that my HOF standards are pretty high. B)

BB52Big.jpg

I don't see it as a freeze out at all. I see it like this. In baseball you actually have to a hall of fame caliber career in order to be inducted into the HOF. I wish the same could be said about the NFL. The baseball writers got it right this year; I think. I'm still not 100% sold on Larkin.

If they have an issue with guys getting in now they have to start throwing out a bunch of guys from the 20's and 30's.

You can't tell me that somehow Tim Raines, Dale Murhpy or Dave Parker aren't deserving but Chick Hafey is.

If personally you don't think Hafey belongs in either, that's fine, but if your a voter you have to go by the standard that has already been set. That's my issue with the voters. And they're not going by previous standards, they're just making up rules and standards as they go. I could see if this was an institution that was only a few years old, but the Baseball HOF isn't a new concept. Historical precedence needs to be the thing you look at with who you vote for whether you agree with it or not. Too late to start changing things unless you start kicking people out first.

If they have an issue with guys getting in now they have to start throwing out a bunch of guys from the 20's and 30's.

You can't tell me that somehow Tim Raines, Dale Murhpy or Dave Parker aren't deserving but Chick Hafey is.

If personally you don't think Hafey belongs in either, that's fine, but if your a voter you have to go by the standard that has already been set. That's my issue with the voters. And they're not going by previous standards, they're just making up rules and standards as they go. I could see if this was an institution that was only a few years old, but the Baseball HOF isn't a new concept. Historical precedence needs to be the thing you look at with who you vote for whether you agree with it or not. Too late to start changing things unless you start kicking people out first.

That's an excellent point. And I have no problem with kicking people out. Let's start with Phil Rizzuto.

BB52Big.jpg

That's an excellent point. And I have no problem with kicking people out. Let's start with Phil Rizzuto.

Well that's why I'm for the voter minimum because its highly doubtful you will ever see anyone kicked out of the HOF.

Its the one loophole I can see in that argument because now your saying what happened before in that regard doesen't matter anymore. Were just taking the best x amount of players who are eligible this year and that's it. I think that makes the process alot more streamlined and gets more to the heart of comparing players from the same era against one another which is how I think the HOF should be based on more then comparing guys across eras.

There are still a few Minnesota Vikings from the old days who deserve Hall of Fame status much more than most of the people on this ballot. It's crazy that Jim Marshall isn't in the Hall, and Mick Tingelhoff should be in there, too.

There are still a few Minnesota Vikings from the old days who deserve Hall of Fame status much more than most of the people on this ballot. It's crazy that Jim Marshall isn't in the Hall, and Mick Tingelhoff should be in there, too.

I'm with you on Tingelhoff (my o-line rule again) but not Marshall. Seriously, if Marshall never does the "wrong-way" thing, does he get as much play as he does today?

BB52Big.jpg

Bettis

Brown

C-Mart

Roaf

DeBartolo

Parcells

Williams

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Going off of Jay's thread, I realized that the Pro Football HOF listed its finalists this weekend. I thought I'd launch a similar thread to his to see who among them would pass CCSLC muster for induction.

The 2012 Pro Football HOF Finalists

Jerome Bettis

Tim Brown

Jack Butler

Cris Carter

Dermontti Dawson

Ed DeBartolo, Jr.

Chris Doleman

Kevin Greene

Charles Haley

Cortez Kennedy

Curtis Martin

Bill Parcells

Andre Reed

Willie Roaf

Will Shields

Dick Stanfel

Aeneas Williams

Discuss... and vote for up to 7!

I won't claim to be familiar with everyone on this list (actually, there's only two I'm not familiar with), so with that said...

- Dermontti Dawson. Modern-day gold standard for centers as far as I'm concerned. Center's already the hardest position to play on the lines, what with making the protection calls and all that...that he did as much as he did for as long as he did, as good as he did...I think he gets in.

- Curtis Martin. Few players are more underappreciated than this guy. I said it last year, I'll say it once more: the guy sits fourth on the all-time rushing yards list. That should tell you all you need to know.

- Willie Roaf. Probably the best at his position during the time he played.

Those would be my three shoo-ins, with an honorable bone thrown to Andre Reed and (surprise surprise) Aeneas Williams. In the case of the latter, never the fastest, didn't compile the biggest stats, but one of the steadiest performers at his position, and for quite the long time...just lost in obscurity since he played almost the entirety of his career with the Cardinals. He probably won't make it, but I think he should at least get half a look.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

First off, I acknowledge that I am not familiar with Dick Stanfel or Jack Butler.

Cris Carter: He was probably the second best WR behind Jerry Rice for most of his career, catching balls from a random assortment of QBs

Curtis Martin: How does a guy that plays in ESPN's two favorite markets and is in the top 5 all time in rushing yards end up being under-rated?

Roaf: Steeling Infrared's OL theory.

Bettis: Longevity helps at his position in my book.

----

(After that it's tougher...have to pick 3)

Tim Brown

Charles Haley

Andre Reed

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived