College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point TCU has had so many helmets that it's overkill. Yeah it looks nice but they keep making these minor changes to the helmets and it's frustrating. Just pick an identity and stick to it.

The same could be said for Virginia Tech, Oregon, Michigan, and Maryland. This ain't just TCU we're talking about.

My point is not that there are too many helmets, it's that there are too many helmets that are so similar to one another they dilute the brand. How many white/gray helmets has TCU had over the past few seasons? I guess the same could go for Oregon but I still feel their helmets are different enough from one another, in addition to the fact that mixing and matching is central to their brand.

How many white/gray helmets has TCU had over the past few seasons?

Two that have been worn a combined total of three times.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

How many white/gray helmets has TCU had over the past few seasons?

Two that have been worn a combined total of three times.

Actually, two that have been worn a total of 6 times.

09 PCR worn in 2009 vs. Utah and Boise and in 2010 vs. Air Force

10 PCR worn in 2010 vs. Oregon State and BYU and in 2011 vs. UNLV

TCU has ordered more of both shells for 2012

I don't count their 2009 PCR helmet. That helmet was black.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

A2MndkGCYAACi7b.jpg

Call me crazy, but I think those helmets are pretty cool for a one-off. I wouldn't want to see these ever again, but the set looks pretty good.

This jersey / pants combo, paired with this helmet, would be absolute, utter, uniform gold:

5204341587_2c23635f20_o.png

The only thing about that combo that bugs me is that the helmet logo is brown with white and orange outlines and the numerals are just brown. My suggestions would be:

A) Make logo just brown (lose outline)

B) Make logo orange with brown outline so it's totally different

Other than that, I agree this is a very nice look.

um... its Maroon, not brown...

It wasn't, but even if you didn't count it you were wrong, bc they only had 1 other "silver" helmet.

Well, yes, it was the same helmet shell but it was used with two different decals so I count it as two different helmets.

It was more of a silver/black marble-ish design.

TCU-2009-Pro-Combat-Football-Helmet-Riddell-Speed-4-687x461.jpg

FWIW, that pic is of a fake on ebay.

Wasn't aware of that. I couldn't tell the difference between that one and this one:

TCU2009NikeProCombatHelmet-1024x731.jpg

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

It was arched, though.

38405_Utah_TCU_Football.jpg

RackMultipart.6982.0_display_image.jpg

The Helmet Project is a great resource but like any graphical representation, it's imperfect. You can see in the game photographs that the wordmark is arched.

Those two photographs are from when they wore it as part of the full PCR uniform against Utah.

Here's a pic from the Fiesta Bowl:

Tostitos+Fiesta+Bowl+TCU+v+Boise+State+6Chk0aXESIxl.jpg

Here's the third time they wore the helmet, against Air Force the next season.

9014170-large.jpg

Archived