College Football 2012 Season

wILL-INI

That's a bad thing. College sports are dominated by iconic letter-themed logos (Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, Indiana, Duke, etc.) and Oregon's O is/was one of the best modern college logos going. Diminishing it's prominence is a mistake.

nope, good. theres no reason for them (or anyone for that matter) to be just another one of the trees in the forrest.

for all of these "problems" being brought up, is there any evidence to support what they've done is wrong? this brand has grown each year. they're doing it all right

You, I'd imagine, above all people would realize that the free market shouldn't dictate good design. People, in general, are stupid and think bad things are good things (Tebow, Jersey Shore, Big Bang Theory, Ryan Seacrest...) and vice versa.

Ok, obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I just feel like in a sea of greatness, Oregon's O is one of the best logos in the NCAA. It simultaneously conforms to the idealized (perhaps only in my mind) college logo by being a simple, elegent letter, but it also broke the shackles of Block Font and floated this ambiguous distinction between classic and modern in a way that no other logo in college does. Even Miami's U is too modern to be able to work in this way.

I mean, we see that O on their crazy ass uniforms and it looks right in place. But if you saw that same O carved in stone on a building built in 1908, you wouldn't look twice (assuming it wasn't carved out of carbon fiber, chrome or 'volt'...).

Not many logos have the built in ability to toe that line.

Now, that being said, my comment was a bit of hyperbole. They're not diminishing the O that much and they're certainly not looking to replace or get rid of the O, but I just have always thought it was one of the best (relatively) new logos in the NCAA because of it's unique ability to float traditional and modern ideals.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Syracuse is.. kinda sorta breaking out special uniforms for Saturday's game at the Meadowlands. They tweeted a sneak peek pic a minute or so ago

A2IK2tNCMAAfD6P.jpg

I'm guessing if anything's really gonna be different it would be something with the helmet

From that picture, I doubt they'll change a thing except for adding that patch.

I was thinking the same thing RE: Dairy Queen. Funny.

Do we know if they're wearing them tonight against Pitt?

I would guess so since the 2 people who tweeted the pics are the ESPN people covering the game today.

So Cincinnati needs special uniforms to give an extra morale boost to the players so they can beat a team that lost by 2 touchdowns at home to Youngstown State last week.

Good Lord this crap is officially beyond stupid. :wacko:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

NCAA 13 Duck images (read: take with a grain of salt)

270749_10151135624402280_2131939039_n.jpg

Errors: Facemask is solid black. Wings on both jersey and helmet are off color (more of a tweak issue than an error).

551813_10151135624352280_1431946000_n.jpg

Errors: None noticeable. Black pants have yet to be confirmed, though, I'm sure they're real.

578580_10151135624312280_593500665_n.jpg

Errors: Those jerseys could be these but they're certainly not what we've seen in the Oregon shops. Lends weight to the white helmet rumor.

270749_10151135624402280_2131939039_n.jpg

Errors: Facemask is solid black. Wings on both jersey and helmet are off color (more of a tweak issue than an error).

551813_10151135624352280_1431946000_n.jpg

Errors: None noticeable. Black pants have yet to be confirmed, though, I'm sure they're real.

Errors: Those jerseys could be these but they're certainly not what we've seen in the Oregon shops. Lends weight to the white helmet rumor.

I've been saying all along that Oregon would have a white helmet with carbon fiber wings. I was starting to think I was crazy.

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

I was thinking the same thing RE: Dairy Queen. Funny.

Do we know if they're wearing them tonight against Pitt?

I would guess so since the 2 people who tweeted the pics are the ESPN people covering the game today.

So Cincinnati needs special uniforms to give an extra morale boost to the players so they can beat a team that lost by 2 touchdowns at home to Youngstown State last week.

Good Lord this crap is officially beyond stupid. :wacko:

They are not wearing these helmets against Pitt. It's a blackout. Espn just tweeted pictures of a sample that has been known for a year now. Here they are preparing the helmets for this week's game:

A1-tUKTCEAAW6LE.jpg

That's a bad thing. College sports are dominated by iconic letter-themed logos (Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State, Kentucky, Indiana, Duke, etc.) and Oregon's O is/was one of the best modern college logos going. Diminishing it's prominence is a mistake.

nope, good. theres no reason for them (or anyone for that matter) to be just another one of the trees in the forrest.

for all of these "problems" being brought up, is there any evidence to support what they've done is wrong? this brand has grown each year. they're doing it all right

You, I'd imagine, above all people would realize that the free market shouldn't dictate good design. People, in general, are stupid and think bad things are good things (Tebow, Jersey Shore, Big Bang Theory, Ryan Seacrest...) and vice versa.

Ok, obviously this is a matter of opinion, but I just feel like in a sea of greatness, Oregon's O is one of the best logos in the NCAA. It simultaneously conforms to the idealized (perhaps only in my mind) college logo by being a simple, elegent letter, but it also broke the shackles of Block Font and floated this ambiguous distinction between classic and modern in a way that no other logo in college does. Even Miami's U is too modern to be able to work in this way.

I mean, we see that O on their crazy ass uniforms and it looks right in place. But if you saw that same O carved in stone on a building built in 1908, you wouldn't look twice (assuming it wasn't carved out of carbon fiber, chrome or 'volt'...).

Not many logos have the built in ability to toe that line.

Now, that being said, my comment was a bit of hyperbole. They're not diminishing the O that much and they're certainly not looking to replace or get rid of the O, but I just have always thought it was one of the best (relatively) new logos in the NCAA because of it's unique ability to float traditional and modern ideals.

i agree that it is a great logo. and its great for them. but this is a brand that sets the trends, they above everyone else need to keep moving forward. they're able to drop the O from the side because they're in the right position to do so now, so if thats what they want to do then they can and be successful still. if you think about what Oregon needs and what their clients (recruits) want to see, i think the wings work very well. the fact that they're so different from everyone else is even better, i mean isnt that what design is for? to do something different? they'll always have the O, but the helmet for right now i think is fantastic.

and Navy's desert storm helmet looks great too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I've been saying all along that Oregon would have a white helmet with carbon fiber wings. I was starting to think I was crazy.

I really like this uniform. The light silver colored pants, and the white helmet look great. The one thing I don't like about it is the color of the jersey wings. I would prefer them to be a little bit darker, so they could be more noticeable.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I really like this uniform. The light silver colored pants, and the white helmet look great. The one thing I don't like about it is the color of the jersey wings. I would prefer them to be a little bit darker, so they could be more noticeable.

Those are white pants.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No logo or design has to be a literal translation of the subject, but this says more hawk or eagle than a quack-quack duck. It is a cool helmet, really, but I'd love to see it with another team.

The ducks are building a new identity with the wings. Everyone is associating them with the Chip Kelly era, which is the best era in duck football history. I'm not saying they are going to get rid of the O, but I think Oregon is going to focus on the wings more than the O from now on.

please describe this growing brand and how would I be able to recognize the brand on a consistent basis over time...

Syracuse is.. kinda sorta breaking out special uniforms for Saturday's game at the Meadowlands. They tweeted a sneak peek pic a minute or so ago

A2IK2tNCMAAfD6P.jpg

I'm guessing if anything's really gonna be different it would be something with the helmet

From that picture, I doubt they'll change a thing except for adding that patch.

Eh, sorta. They've also got sleeves to go with them

552063_340084752750552_1426754302_n.jpg

Once again, I'll wait and see if they have some sort of special helmet like the one seen at that trade show that shows up

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Archived