2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

On the NL Cy debate: Dickey's WAR is better than Cueto's and equal to Kershaw's, his ERA- and FIP- are pretty much in line with Cueto and Kershaw, his RE34 and REW are superior to Kershaw, and all are elite among NL pitchers in these categories, so I'd say they're easily the top three for the Cy voting. They all are pretty much equally good at preventing runs and keeping leverage.

_

_Since Dickey, Cueto, and Kershaw are pretty even on the big stuff, we're reduced to picking nits among the three. One pretty big eliminating factor for me in regards to Cueto is his -0.1 BIP-Wins. This year, he's been as bad as Josh Beckett at saving wins for his team by preventing hits. As for Kershaw, his -0.4 LOB-Wins to date is indicative of his ineffectiveness in stranding runners.

_

_Meanwhile, Dickey's positive LOB-Wins and BIP-Wins (and as a result, higher amount of FDP-Wins than Kershaw and Cueto) reveal that not only is Dickey just as good as Kershaw and Cueto at preventing runs, he also is a lot better than them at the little things: stranding runners, preventing hits, and saving wins for his team. That's why he's my pick for the NL Cy Young.

_

_And yes, I know Gio Gonzalez has been getting some Cy Young hype too, but his -1.2 LOB-Wins and 0.2 FDP-Wins are an immediate disqualifier for me. He's so bad at stranding runners that it pretty much cancels out how good he is at preventing hits.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the same night of Homer Bailey's no-no, Boston's Scott Podsednik led off against Baltimore's Chris Tillman with a bunt hit.

It was the only hit the Sox got.

Yeah. We were that close to having two no-hitters in one night.

Also, Homer Bailey's no-hitter puts seven on this season, tying the record set in 1990 and matched in 1991 for most no-hitters in a single season.

spacer.png

Torii Hunter is carrying the Angels on his back right now. He doesn't want this season to end (and he wants a contract).

2-run, 2-out double in the 9th gives the Angels the first game of today's doubleheader.

And with Tampa's win and while Oakland/Seattle sit tied, the Angels NEED to get the second game as well. At best, one game out with 3 left is a feet position. At same, 2 with 3 would be damn hard. At worst, 3 out with 3 to play for a possible one game playoff would be damn near impossible (or if Tampa did the same a playoff for the playoff for the playoff). The season rides on tonight.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Just when it looked like the Yankees were going to fall out of first place altogether, behind another pathetic Phil Hughes outing at the Rogers Centre, the offense roared to life and may well have saved their division hopes in the process. Now, the Yankees and Orioles are tied with three remaining, and as far as the paper matchups go, the advantage is clearly on the side of the Yankees. Just gotta hope the Dead Sox play like the Dead Sox in the Bronx, as they did in Baltimore this weekend.

None of the AL playoff spots are clinched yet. That's remarkable.

spacer.png

New York and Baltimore clinch postseason spots with the Angels' loss in the second game of their doubleheader.

Also, this:

dc8WVl.png

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Dodgers and Angels are eliminated from the playoffs. Angels down 3 to A's with three left. Dodgers down 2 to Cards who hold tiebreaker over LA (if both end season with same record, Cards get into playoffs).

I guess it's happy days in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle...all people nationwide who detest the hated Dodgers and Angels.

Archived