2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, when we're discussing the "last place Rangers" it's probably good to contextualize it by saying that Texas was not the worst team in baseball by a long shot-there were a 7 teams with worse records, including the smoking dumpster fire that was the 43-win 2003 Tigers.

Furthermore, if you can make the case that A-Rod was the difference between 71 wins and "OH HAI DETROIT!", well maybe he should be the MVP

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's a scenario: Player A hit .279, with 25 HRs, 87 RBIs, 70 runs, an OPS of .800, and his team made the playoffs. Player B hit .340, with 37 HRs, 115 RBIs, 80 runs, an OPS of .988, but his team didn't make the playoffs. Is Player A more valuable just because his team made the playoffs and Player B's team didn't?

Well, obviously, if it comes down to those two guys being 1 and 2, of course you give it to the guy whose production is far and away superior despite his team missing the playoffs. But let's say

Player A: .330, 110 RBIs, 79 runs, OPS .986, misses playoffs and it's not even close

Player B: .311, 108 RBIs, 76 runs, OPS .980, makes playoffs

I go with Player B, whose basic statistics might be worse, but has more at stake than someone playing out the string. I know this is unenlightened caveman baseball thinking and I might as well start yelling "HIT EVERYONE WITH PITCHES," but it's one little bit of orthodoxy I have a hard time breaking away from.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Its pretty rare a one dimensional player on either side wins the MVP. Mo Vaughn, Dick Allen, Elston Howard got a few top 20 votes back in '67 even though he only hit .178.

Don't forget Frank Thomas. The Big Hurt won in 93 and 94, and lost to steroid :censored: Giambi in 2000 despite putting up slightly better numbers and leading a less talented team to a better record. He also finished third twice, fourth once and eighth three times.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Take it for what it's worth but there's now rumblings there may be a 50 game suspension in store for Robinson Cano. Don't know more than just rumblings, can't confirm or deny, and I hate speculation especially nowadays with all these hoaxes. However I have a good friend at MLB and it's going around the office, so there could be something to it.

It'd be bad for baseball but so sweet for miserable depressed Met fans who hate the Yanks like myself.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I'm pretty ambivalent about steroids, but I've always thought there was something fishy with Cano. All of a sudden, after 2008, he went from 14-15 home runs a year to around 25-30 a year and winning the Home Run Derby.... and this isn't a Bautista-esque thing where he pretty much always had power but just struggled with swing mechanics. There was a pretty significant spike in Cano's ISO starting in 2009 that coincides with the beginning of his vastly-improved home run numbers. I don't care if players use steroids, but the MLB clearly does, and I've thought it was just a matter of time.

Also, that's a big blow to the Yankees if true. They've looked like they're out of the funk that decimated their division lead, but if this is true, now they'll be without one of their best hitters AND be faced with a pretty major distraction.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Take it for what it's worth but there's now rumblings there may be a 50 game suspension in store for Robinson Cano. Don't know more than just rumblings, can't confirm or deny, and I hate speculation especially nowadays with all these hoaxes. However I have a good friend at MLB and it's going around the office, so there could be something to it.

It'd be bad for baseball but so sweet for all fans who hate the Yanks like myself.

Fixed your post

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

In other news...God, you guys are never going to believe this...

umm...

The Orioles won a game in extra innings.

They lost two nights running in extras during the first week of the season, and are 15-0 when the game goes beyond 9 since. That's just a crazy record.

As good a year as Mike Trout is having, if the season ends today Miguel Cabrera is my MVP, whether he clinches the triple crown or not.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

It'd be bad for baseball but so sweet for miserable depressed Met fans who hate the Yanks like myself.

No offense, and I'm sure you'll take none...

I'm gonna want some linkage on this. Hard to take it seriously otherwise.

spacer.png

None taken. It seems like it originated from a TV reporter in Charlotte, and is likely fabricated, at least thats what has come up.

I hate to post these kinds of things but there was some steam to this one or so I thought. I asked my friend "is there any truth to these Cano rumors" and he said "what to the 50 game suspension?", meaning the word was making its rounds, it wasn't just made up by he or I.

He had the Melky suspension news to me beforehand though, as well as Braun's original positive test (which we know was ultimately appealed and won). Also, while he works for MLB it's not in the commissioners office its another business unit in another building, even though it's still MLB.

You can relax Yankee fans.

Here's a scenario: Player A hit .279, with 25 HRs, 87 RBIs, 70 runs, an OPS of .800, and his team made the playoffs. Player B hit .340, with 37 HRs, 115 RBIs, 80 runs, an OPS of .988, but his team didn't make the playoffs. Is Player A more valuable just because his team made the playoffs and Player B's team didn't?

Well, obviously, if it comes down to those two guys being 1 and 2, of course you give it to the guy whose production is far and away superior despite his team missing the playoffs. But let's say

Player A: .330, 110 RBIs, 79 runs, OPS .986, misses playoffs and it's not even close

Player B: .311, 108 RBIs, 76 runs, OPS .980, makes playoffs

I go with Player B, whose basic statistics might be worse, but has more at stake than someone playing out the string. I know this is unenlightened caveman baseball thinking and I might as well start yelling "HIT EVERYONE WITH PITCHES," but it's one little bit of orthodoxy I have a hard time breaking away from.

The reason I used two players that were so different in terms of production was because he was making it seem like any player whose TEAM doesn't make the playoffs is worthless garbage, which is totally wrong.... and I'm going to have to disagree with you there. Why should player A be punished for his team having a bad pitching staff or something like that?

It shouldn't matter this year anyways, as neither the Angels or Tigers will be making the playoffs.

You know, in the end this all just goes back to the semantics argument of being the best player in the league, versus the most "valuable" player, value obviously being a relative term.

Different sport example, but if we're going to be sticklers for "value", then Peyton Manning should've been the unanimous 2011 NFL MVP. It was clear how steep the difference was between some awful schmucks like Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky, and one of the greatest QB's to ever play in the sport.

Hell, to apply this to MLB, the AL MVP should be Yoenis Cespedes, not Mike Trout. Why? Oakland is 12-22 without him in their lineup, while they're 73-42 with him in there. Anaheim doesn't have that good a win percentage with Trout vs. without Trout.

spacer.png

If the Mets don't score 4 or more runs by Sunday they'll break a 97 year old record for most consecutive home games not to score more than 3. (1915 Yankees).

Also they've allowed 16 runs at home in a 9-inning game for the first time since 1963.

They're 4-28 at home after the All-Star Break. That's a .125 win percentage. It's so so so sad.

Archived