2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

My gut tells me he may have directed at the opposing pitcher, who was starting against the Jays that day.

I think maybe a small suspension 2-3 Games is coming for Mr. Escobar.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another case where it really shouldn't have sparked an outcry...

Yeah, it's a bit immature ... but the typical English speaking wouldn't think "maricon" means "f**".

It's in a foreign language, that makes it cool.

/Coded language for the 21st Century

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Another case where it really shouldn't have sparked an outcry...

Yeah, it's a bit immature ... but the typical English speaking wouldn't think "maricon" means "f**".

Whatever your opinion on the "outcry", if MLB lets it go unpunished, it sort of gives players carte blanche to put whatever they want there. They need to set a precedent.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Thanks to the Blue Jays for the remidner...I'd forgotten they don't have freedom of speech in Canada.

EDIT: Not saying he was right...just saying an American team wouldn't have suspended him...they'd just fine him. Besides, a lot of people don't even know what that word means, so it'd go over almost everybody's heads.

bYhYmxh.png

Truly, baseball's been pretty mediocre since the 90s. There isn't one WS champion from 2001-2012 that will be looked upon with the fondness that the Yankee dynasties have. The 96-2000 Yankees are the last dominant baseball team. The 90s Braves were dominant, but only won one championship. No one's going to look back at the 2005 White Sox or 2006 Cardinals and think "Yeah, that's one of the best teams we've ever seen". World Series championships really aren't what they used to be.

I'm all for the 2nd Wild Card. If it keeps more people talking about baseball past NFL training camp, it's good for business. The last thing you want to do is take on some "elitist" status, minimize playoff berths, and eliminate 90% of the fan base by July.

Only American League team other than the '27 Yankees to go wire-to-wire best record in the AL and win the World Series. They didn't have a murder's row lineup, and they weren't able to make it back to the playoffs with more talent the next year, but that team was absolutely dominant. But I guess when the national (and local) media spends the season igoring them, then only mentioning them to chide fans for not going to games, then forecasting an epic collapse, followed by pouting because they knocked out the precious Red Sox, it's easy to see why fans across the country didn't realize how great that team was.

So you can say that there is no romantic attachment to the team because it wasn't a dynasty, and that's legit, but it's silly to say that World Series aren't what they used to be. It's like people arguing that basketball sucked after Jordan retired, as if the Spurs had to beat the Washington Generals on their way to four titles. And really, those Yankees teams are only lauded to that extent because it was the Yankees. If, say, the Twins had won four titles in that decade, the media would treat them... much the way they treated the Spurs - they are boring because they're not a big market team.

Co-sign, and I'll throw in four complete ALCS games in a row after a Game 1 loss. And then of course a World Series sweep. They were no dynasty, but as far as dominant teams in a single season go...

Thanks to the Blue Jays for the remidner...I'd forgotten they don't have freedom of speech in Canada.

I think any team would suspend a player for using his little eyeblack stickers to call people gay. The NCAA stopped letting Tim Tebow write Bible verses on his; omgwtfbbq

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Thank God we here in 'MURICA have the freedom to be vile bigots without any consequences. Oh wait, we don't.

This is NOT a freedom of speech issue. He has a right to write really bad jokes that may offend on his eyeblack. He does NOT have the right to do it on the field representing the Blue Jays and the MLB without consequences.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

EDIT: Not saying he was right...just saying an American team wouldn't have suspended him...they'd just fine him. Besides, a lot of people don't even know what that word means, so it'd go over almost everybody's heads.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ I don't even.

Freedom of speech does not protect you from responses to your speech. You can't go out on a baseball field with "you're a f**" written on your :censored:ing face and not expect to be reprimanded by your employers (whom you're representing) and your league (whom you're also representing).

The right to free speech does not protect you from the ramifications of your free speech.

I feel if this happened in the US (especially if this was in San Francisco, Boston, Houston, Los Angeles or New York, cities with gargantuan gay communities, and who are at the forefront of the league - excepting the Stros) they'd be even harsher.

EDIT: Surprised "f**" doesn't automatically get censored out, like ":censored:" and " :censored:" do.

spacer.png

Jesus Tapdancing Christ I don't even.

Freedom of speech does not protect you from responses to your speech. You can't go out on a baseball field with "you're a f**" written on your :censored:ing face and not expect to be reprimanded by your employers (whom you're representing) and your league (whom you're also representing).

The right to free speech does not protect you from the ramifications of your free speech.

I feel if this happened in the US (especially if this was in San Francisco, Boston, Houston, Los Angeles or New York, cities with gargantuan gay communities, and who are at the forefront of the league - excepting the Stros) they'd be even harsher.

EDIT: Surprised "f**" doesn't automatically get censored out, like ":censored:" and " :censored:" do.

A-:censored:ING-MEN!

Archived