2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yankees and Orioles battled for first place for the entirety of September.

Yankees ended up winning when it was all said and done, but they're going to have to play the first two games in Baltimore.

I know it's a one year thing, but Selig and co. botched this so badly that it's a friggen disgrace. As it turned out, basically, the Orioles get rewarded for not winning the division here. Which is ironic, given how the whole premise was to reward division winners.

spacer.png

THE BEST PART IS THAT THE CARDINALS GET THE FIRST TWO HOME GAMES SURE WHY WOULDN'T THEY

...because that's the way the division series are set up? Do you think they changed the setup at the last second because the Cardinals are in it? Really?

(Not that I think it's a good idea; I'd think a 2-2-1 setup would be better.)

If you ask me, and no one has, this new set up is pretty screwed up. The lower seed gets the first two games at home. Let's say they win those two, how hard is it to take one out of three on the road? I just don't get how the new set up can be considered a home field advantage for the higher seeds. It just seems to me that giving the lower seed the first two games at home is the real advantage.

BB52Big.jpg

It's a controversial call for sure, questionable defiantly, but its not as cut and dry as its been made out to be. And it didn't take runs off the board, and they were down by 3. The next pitch could have been a double play. It could have been a stike out, or it could have been a grand slam and the cardinals could have come back and won.

Actually, it did hamper with the score of the game.

If there were no Infield Fly Rule called....the Braves have the bases loaded with one out. The following events happened:

-Cardinals make a pitching change. By all indications, this was happening anyway...delay or no delay.

-The next batter (McCann) walks. This would have forced in a run. 6-4 Cardinals

-Bourn strikes out.

-Prado grounds out to second. This would have ended the 8th.

-Heyward flies out to left. Out #1.

-Chipper gets an infield single.

-Freeman hits a ground-rule double. Runners at 2nd and 3rd.

-Uggla grounds out to second. Since conventional baseball wisdom would have the defense playing back and willing to concede a run to get an out in the 9th inning, Chipper would have scored, and Freeman likely moves up to 3rd. 6-5 Cardinals, 2 outs.

And now we're left to imagine. And with Ross up next, a guy who was 3-4 in the game, the Braves had more than a puncher's chance of tying/extending the game.

I agree it would not have been caught with ordinary effort and therefore was not infield fly. I disagree that it matters where the ball lands. I disagree that he should have called it sooner cause the rule says when it's apparent which could be as soon as its hit or after its caught. The problem with calling it too soon is if the ball drifts too deep after the call is made. Umpires frequently wait until a player is camped under the ball.

It's frequently called without us knowing well outside the defined infield.

The problem was that the shortstop was never really in a set position to catch the ball. He was still drifting away from the infield until he went forward because of Holliday's presence. And the call of Infield Fly was made with under a second before the ball hits the ground.

It's a controversial call for sure, questionable defiantly, but its not as cut and dry as its been made out to be. And it didn't take runs off the board, and they were down by 3. The next pitch could have been a double play. It could have been a stike out, or it could have been a grand slam and the cardinals could have come back and won.

Actually, it did hamper with the score of the game.

If there were no Infield Fly Rule called....the Braves have the bases loaded with one out. The following events happened:

-Cardinals make a pitching change. By all indications, this was happening anyway...delay or no delay.

-The next batter (McCann) walks. This would have forced in a run. 6-4 Cardinals

-Bourn strikes out.

-Prado grounds out to second. This would have ended the 8th.

-Heyward flies out to left. Out #1.

-Chipper gets an infield single.

-Freeman hits a ground-rule double. Runners at 2nd and 3rd.

-Uggla grounds out to second. Since conventional baseball wisdom would have the defense playing back and willing to concede a run to get an out in the 9th inning, Chipper would have scored, and Freeman likely moves up to 3rd. 6-5 Cardinals, 2 outs.

And now we're left to imagine. And with Ross up next, a guy who was 3-4 in the game, the Braves had more than a puncher's chance of tying/extending the game.

I agree with you that the call was wrong, but the train of thought in your post cannot be used. The game is different with the bases loaded and one out, vs. men on 2nd and 3rd with two out.

You have the luxury to pitch differently with a base open, compared to the bases being full. We don't know if the events that occurred actually would have, had that infield fly not been called; the complexion of the game is entirely different based on the call.

This is some awesome playoff setup baseball has now

I've got an even better idea: EVERYONE makes the playoffs. Single eliminations for all. If the Astros can win 11 games in a row after the end of the season, they get through to the REAL playoffs!

By the way, this will also solve the NHL lockout because MLB will buy the rights to the name "Winter Classic" and the World Series will be played in December on a rotating basis in Miami, San Diego, and Phoenix.

1zgyd8w.jpg

This is some awesome playoff setup baseball has now

I've got an even better idea: EVERYONE makes the playoffs. Single eliminations for all. If the Astros can win 11 games in a row after the end of the season, they get through to the REAL playoffs!

By the way, this will also solve the NHL lockout because MLB will buy the rights to the name "Winter Classic" and the World Series will be played in December on a rotating basis in Miami, San Diego, and Phoenix.

Charles Wang proposed that idea for the NHL. The sad part is he was being serious.

I've got an even better idea: EVERYONE makes the playoffs. Single eliminations for all.

When I was in 5th grade, I said the NFL should do this if they ever add two more teams. It's not the worst idea anyone's ever had.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No matter what i say its clouded in Cardinals red, and ive been on record saying i totally inderstand all the hate of the cardinals. if i didnt grow up where i did, id hate them too.

But this is what an infield fly needs to be:

1) less than 2 outs

2) runners on first and second or loaded

3) a fair ball

4) catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort

Not landing on the dirt, not within 10 feet of the bases, easily caught by an infielder.

Considering Kozma had camped under the ball but moved out of the way, it seems reasonable he could have caught it.

It's the same situation as Bartman in Chicago. We'll never remember the double play ball going through the shortstop's legs, or the fact it wasn't the end of the game, or that it was game 6, just bartman.

This will be the infield fly game forever.

Yes we will, :censored: Alex Gonzalez for being the one to ruin that game.

And I watched the end of the game with a bunch of Cardinals fans (unfortunately.) They were actually better than I expected to watch it with and more than respectful to Chipper after the game. Still unfortunate that those guys got to see another mediocre team win a playoff game (or series, I guess), but it was the best experience I've had with Cardinals fans.

EDIT: After seeing the play, I can see how they made the call. The general rule of thumb is that if the infielder is under the facing the infield it's an infield fly. Yeah, it was probably a bad call, but it's not hard to see how the made it

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

No matter what i say its clouded in Cardinals red, and ive been on record saying i totally inderstand all the hate of the cardinals. if i didnt grow up where i did, id hate them too.

But this is what an infield fly needs to be:

1) less than 2 outs

2) runners on first and second or loaded

3) a fair ball

4) catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort

Not landing on the dirt, not within 10 feet of the bases, easily caught by an infielder.

Considering Kozma had camped under the ball but moved out of the way, it seems reasonable he could have caught it.

It's the same situation as Bartman in Chicago. We'll never remember the double play ball going through the shortstop's legs, or the fact it wasn't the end of the game, or that it was game 6, just bartman.

This will be the infield fly game forever.

Yes we will, :censored: Alex Gonzalez for being the one to ruin that game.

Closer than most. Gonzalez's error didn't ruin the game alone; it was just the second most memorable play of the game.

Should be more memorable.

There was no guarantee Alou would catch the foul ball, and if Gonzalez (a slick-fielding, no-hit SS, mind you) turns two, then that play actually works out to the Cubs benefit, and Steve Bartman is still an anonymous person living in Chicago.

That Bartman was made to be the scape-goat in that one is absolutely absurd.

spacer.png

There are a few franchises in sports that just seem to get lucky again and again and again. The Pittsburgh Steelers are one, the Detroit Red Wings are one, and the St. Louis Cardinals are one. The Braves handed the Cardinals this game and then as if they hadn't gotten enough breaks, the umpire makes one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Only the Cardinals could drop a fly ball and get an out. Only them.

If this St. Louis Cardinals team weasels another world series again, and on top of the NHL being locked out, it's going to be a long, dark winter for this guy.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I had something typed up as a response, but I'll just abridge it:

• This doesn't even come close to comparing it to Bartman. If you're looking for an excuse to draw in Cubs fans so you can poke them with a stick for laughs, move on
  • Cards are a tiresome franchise and knowing that every sports network available is going to blow hot air up their ass for the next few months while they make a world series run is sickening to consider
  • I wish the entire Cardinals fan collective could just :censored: off. Forever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I only brought up Bartman cause its a similar situation where the single controversial play is remembered more than the situation and the other events around the game. Meaning this bad call (note I said BAD CALL) when one team was up 3 with 5 outs remaining is getting blamed way more than the errors or men left on base. Me bringing that up had zero to do with the cubs.

I only brought up Bartman cause its a similar situation where the single controversial play is remembered more than the situation and the other events around the game. Meaning this bad call (note I said BAD CALL) when one team was up 3 with 5 outs remaining is getting blamed way more than the errors or men left on base. Me bringing that up had zero to do with the cubs.

It was a convenient comparison, then. Regardless, a better comparison happened just a couple weeks ago on Monday Night Football.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Well I a bears fan so I'd be an :censored: again right? :)

That one is different from my point. If the packers got screwed at the end of the first half, or if they still would have been down by 2 I could have used that game as a comparison. Or if the braves scored the winning run and it was taken off the board.

I'll just go :censored: off.

It was a convenient comparison, then. Regardless, a better comparison happened just a couple weeks ago on Monday Night Football.

That'd be a good comparison had the call been, say, a play at the plate in the bottom of the ninth of a tie game.

• I wish the entire Cardinals fan collective could just :censored: off. Forever.

I'll pass, thanks.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

There are a few franchises in sports that just seem to get lucky again and again and again. The Pittsburgh Steelers are one, the Detroit Red Wings are one, and the St. Louis Cardinals are one. The Braves handed the Cardinals this game and then as if they hadn't gotten enough breaks, the umpire makes one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Only the Cardinals could drop a fly ball and get an out. Only them.

The Red Wings haven't really been that lucky, though. Just good.

Archived