2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Marlins finally got their first homer. The new monstrosity got to work it's magic for the first time in a game and it was...well, just as weird as I think everyone figured.

http://deadspin.com/5902123/the-marlins-finally-hit-a-home-run-in-miami-and-so-we-finally-got-to-see-their-sculpture-in-action?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"Light that thing up!"

It makes no sense, it's tacky as hell, and it has nothing to do with baseball. I absolutely love it. It's great.

You know, you're 100% right and that's kind of why I'm starting to come around to it, but at the same token I hope that more people get in on the joke that it IS stupid. That thing is absolutely hokey and goofy as hell, and it should be treated as such. I wish it played some doofy carnival music or shot tacos out of it or something awesome.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins finally got their first homer. The new monstrosity got to work it's magic for the first time in a game and it was...well, just as weird as I think everyone figured.

http://deadspin.com/5902123/the-marlins-finally-hit-a-home-run-in-miami-and-so-we-finally-got-to-see-their-sculpture-in-action?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"Light that thing up!"

It makes no sense, it's tacky as hell, and it has nothing to do with baseball. I absolutely love it. It's great.

You know, you're 100% right and that's kind of why I'm starting to come around to it, but at the same token I hope that more people get in on the joke that it IS stupid. That thing is absolutely hokey and goofy as hell, and it should be treated as such. I wish it played some doofy carnival music or shot tacos out of it or something awesome.

The music slot machines make when they pay out a jackpot.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I know 4 games is too early to judge a ballpark, but Marlins Park, to no one's surprise, is turning into a pitcher's park. Deep dimensions, tall walls, wet ocean air is a good recipe to cull home runs.

Wouldn't be shocked to see those walls come in after a year or two.

Its still a little to say for sure how much of a pitcher's park it is, but early consensus I would say is that its playing way too deep. That outfield has early 60's Dodger Stadium type dimensions.

They used a lot of the dimensions from Dolphin Stadium, didn't they? That was a pitcher's park. I'm sure the Marlins, with a history of producing pitching, had that in mind. And that's fine, it gives you distinct home field advantage to zag when the rest of the league zigs. There's a little passage in Weaver On Baseball where Weaver says his style of ball, the get-on-base-for-home-runs style that everyone came to hate when it was extolled by MBAs and not chaw-spitting baseball lifers, worked everywhere...except Kansas City.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They used a lot of the dimensions from Dolphin Stadium, didn't they? That was a pitcher's park. I'm sure the Marlins, with a history of producing pitching, had that in mind. And that's fine, it gives you distinct home field advantage to zag when the rest of the league zigs. There's a little passage in Weaver On Baseball where Weaver says his style of ball, the get-on-base-for-home-runs style that everyone came to hate when it was extolled by MBAs and not chaw-spitting baseball lifers, worked everywhere...except Kansas City.

They did take alot of elements from the outfield design at Joe Robbie/Dolphin/Jimmy Buffett beer Stadium but I think most teams would prefer a more neutral park then a pure hitters or pitchers park.

I wouldn't want to play in a place that plays like Coors Field or PETCO if I could help it.

Maybe they figured with the roof coming into play (which we really haven't seen yet, think today was the first game with the roof closed) it would play more neutral or they just want a pitcher's park. Its obvious some teams do like playing in a park that strongly favors one side of the game. Right now its just one of those things to keep an eye on. I doubt the Marlins would even start seriously discussing what to do long term with the fences until at least seeing how the park plays in the summer.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Dodgers turned the 9th-inning triple play, because the ball appeared to cross BEHIND home place, thus, the ball would be foul. Here's MLB's video:

MLB.com's video page

The umpires screwed up royally on that call.

It was initially a foul ball, but then it rolled fair, so from that aspect they got it right. What they screwed up was calling it foul. If the ball is signaled foul the play should be dead. They shouldn't have made any call on the play whatsoever except to signal it was fair when A.J. Ellis picked up the ball. What the home plate umpire did was signal it foul and then changed his call to fair while A.J. Ellis was throwing to third base. He gave the baserunners no chance to try to advance by doing that. Huge mistake on the part of the umpires and it may have wound up costing the Padres the game.

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, in his weekly interview for WHDH-TV's Sports Xtra, said that third baseman Kevin Youkilis seemed to be less "into the game" than in the past.

"I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason," Valentine said in the interview. "But [saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."

Youkilis, 33, is hitting .200 with a .265 OBP, .233 slugging mark and .498 OPS this year, though he's 6-for-18 with three walks and two doubles in his last five games.

Valentine is a fool for saying this publicly.

The Twins coaching staff is terrible. It's almost as if they are trying to fail so they can have better draft picks to throw away on singles hitters and mediocre pitchers. Clete Thomas hit a home run today in his Twins debut. When he entered the dugout, the hitting coach told him to hit it to the second basemen next time. Trading away JJ Hardy must have been Gardy's call. He wasn't Japanese and overrated enough unlike Nishioka. Cuddyer and Kubel must have been so relieved to get out of this system.

Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau are both painfully awful this year as well. Mauer takes the first pitch in literally every at-bat. He does it so often that the entire Target Field crowd lets out a collective moan as the first pitch is delivered. But Bert and Dick wouldn't tell you that. "Pitchers fear him for his magnificent patience and ability to go both ways." Yeah, they said that about my bisexual cousin, too. Morneau swings and misses like he is Miguel Cabrera taking a swing at his wife. But, really, Justin is a clutch hitter. He has only popped out with the bases loaded 4 times this year.

Don't get me started on the pitching. Our "ace" is Carl freaking Pavano. Are you serious, Terry Ryan? Not one person in the majors takes the Twins starting rotation seriously. While Anthony Swarzak and Liam Hendricks go out and give their team a chance to win, we have Nick Blackburn, Carl Pavano, and the annual has-been hero taking up cap space (this year it is Jason Marquis, who isn't even pitching because his daughter was hit while riding a bike).

Trade Morneau before the deadline, send Mauer to first and call up Ramos - Oh, no, we traded him away too! Hell, don't bother trading Morneau. They could get a better deal with a supplemental draft pick than the crap they'd get in return for Morneau's baggage.

Oh, and I'm sick of the so-called "Twins Way" minor league philosophy. You want a philosophy? Here ya go:

1. Do well enough to win one of worst divisions in baseball. - Check.

2. Lose to Yankees in first round. - Check.

3. Get rid of any talented players by means of trades or injury. - Check.

4. Continue process with no intention of rebuilding. - Check.

For now, I'll hop on the Tigers' bandwagon for the rest of the year.

Well, the Angels bullpen has still looked like garbage through the first 10 days of the season. Pujols is still trying to rev up. Twice through the rotation, Wilson is the only pitcher with two good starts. However, the rest of the line-up seems to be hitting just fine (even Trumbo through his constant shuffling of 3B/DH/Bench) and Walden has looked pretty good.

Still early. The starters will be fine, Pujols will be fine. But the bullpen is still the biggest issue I have. (and only one start today and against the Yankees in the Stadium, but Jerome Williams as the 5th starter... let's say I'm just glad the Halos have the first four starters that the Angels have.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I still think Garrett Richards should have gotten the fifth spot in the rotation. Williams missed way too much spring ball to be essentially thrown out cold in the Bronx.

VmWIn6B.png

I still think Garrett Richards should have gotten the fifth spot in the rotation. Williams missed way too much spring ball to be essentially thrown out cold in the Bronx.

Agreed. And I thought that's the way it was. I hadn't even thought otherwise until Williams started today. It was a tough spot for him to be in, but it wasn't a great outing at all.

Trumbo for Hughes (SoCal kid) and Rafael Soriano

B)

1) I actually watched Hughes pitch in high school. His team (Foothill) was in the same league as mine (Laguna Hills) my freshman year. Heard the buzz and watched when they came to play us. Kinda neat. (Also met Mark Sanchez that same year. Our schools shared a football stadium that year.)

2) No thanks. We'll keep Trumbo. Not just a SoCal kid, but an Anaheim kid. B)

Trumbo for Hughes (SoCal kid) and Rafael Soriano

B)

If his next start is similar to the last two Phil Hughes could be out of the rotation. I would imagine he's on a very short leash as it is. Terrible year last year and already has a history of covering up injuries. They may look into giving David Phelps a spot start or two. Just an atrocious outing tonight for him.

The Twins coaching staff is terrible. It's almost as if they are trying to fail so they can have better draft picks to throw away on singles hitters and mediocre pitchers. Clete Thomas hit a home run today in his Twins debut. When he entered the dugout, the hitting coach told him to hit it to the second basemen next time. Trading away JJ Hardy must have been Gardy's call. He wasn't Japanese and overrated enough unlike Nishioka. Cuddyer and Kubel must have been so relieved to get out of this system.

Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau are both painfully awful this year as well. Mauer takes the first pitch in literally every at-bat. He does it so often that the entire Target Field crowd lets out a collective moan as the first pitch is delivered. But Bert and Dick wouldn't tell you that. "Pitchers fear him for his magnificent patience and ability to go both ways." Yeah, they said that about my bisexual cousin, too. Morneau swings and misses like he is Miguel Cabrera taking a swing at his wife. But, really, Justin is a clutch hitter. He has only popped out with the bases loaded 4 times this year.

Don't get me started on the pitching. Our "ace" is Carl freaking Pavano. Are you serious, Terry Ryan? Not one person in the majors takes the Twins starting rotation seriously. While Anthony Swarzak and Liam Hendricks go out and give their team a chance to win, we have Nick Blackburn, Carl Pavano, and the annual has-been hero taking up cap space (this year it is Jason Marquis, who isn't even pitching because his daughter was hit while riding a bike).

Trade Morneau before the deadline, send Mauer to first and call up Ramos - Oh, no, we traded him away too! Hell, don't bother trading Morneau. They could get a better deal with a supplemental draft pick than the crap they'd get in return for Morneau's baggage.

Oh, and I'm sick of the so-called "Twins Way" minor league philosophy. You want a philosophy? Here ya go:

That second paragraph is POTD worthy, and I've never nominated one in my years here.

newsig.jpg

That second paragraph is POTD worthy, and I've never nominated one in my years here.

Not much more you can add then that. Don't know what the deal has been with the Twins. They've gone from being a model organization to a team that seems to have no long or short term direction seemingly overnight. They could very well be the worst team in the American League. Between them and Baltimore its close.

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, in his weekly interview for WHDH-TV's Sports Xtra, said that third baseman Kevin Youkilis seemed to be less "into the game" than in the past.

"I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason," Valentine said in the interview. "But [saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."

Youkilis, 33, is hitting .200 with a .265 OBP, .233 slugging mark and .498 OPS this year, though he's 6-for-18 with three walks and two doubles in his last five games.

Valentine is a fool for saying this publicly.

This is why Bobby V is the wrong manager for that team. The Red Sox are a bunch of headcases who needed their ego stroked, and Bobby V dont play that.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived