2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Marlins finally got their first homer. The new monstrosity got to work it's magic for the first time in a game and it was...well, just as weird as I think everyone figured.

http://deadspin.com/5902123/the-marlins-finally-hit-a-home-run-in-miami-and-so-we-finally-got-to-see-their-sculpture-in-action?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"Light that thing up!"

It makes no sense, it's tacky as hell, and it has nothing to do with baseball. I absolutely love it. It's great.

It feels like a throwback, even though nothing like it has ever existed before. If the walls weren't that of "Why the hell are these green?" green, it would be even more effective.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby Valentine is the stupidest :censored:ing manager in the league.

Why the :censored: would you leave Bard in? Why, you goddamn moron?

He may not be the most stupid, (I'd give Eric Wedge that honor) but he sure ain't a good match for the Red Sox. I'm not sure he's a good match for anyone. I've always thought the guy was just another "name" manager who gets hired because...well...I'm not sure why teams hire him. All I know is he's a bad match for the Sawx. I'm still scratching my head over the Red Sox front office hiring the guy.

BB52Big.jpg

Bobby Valentine is the stupidest :censored:ing manager in the league.

Why the :censored: would you leave Bard in? Why, you goddamn moron?

He may not be the most stupid, (I'd give Eric Wedge that honor) but he sure ain't a good match for the Red Sox. I'm not sure he's a good match for anyone. I've always thought the guy was just another "name" manager who gets hired because...well...I'm not sure why teams hire him. All I know is he's a bad match for the Sawx. I'm still scratching my head over the Red Sox front office hiring the guy.

Seriously. Pete Mackanin, Dave Martinez, Sandy Alomar all would've been worlds better.

And Cody Ross strikes out on five balls to end the game.

Three out of four ain't bad.

spacer.png

When does Joe Maddon's contract with Tampa expire? Sox might be just killing time with Valentine until grabbing Maddon.

They want John Farrell, methinks. He was their pitching coach until he took the Blue Jays managerial job.

EDIT: Plus, I don't think Maddon will ever go to Boston, no matter how much money Henry, Lucchino and Werner throw at him.

spacer.png

Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, in his weekly interview for WHDH-TV's Sports Xtra, said that third baseman Kevin Youkilis seemed to be less "into the game" than in the past.

"I don't think he's as physically or emotionally into the game as he has been in the past for some reason," Valentine said in the interview. "But [saturday] it seemed, you know, he's seeing the ball well, got those two walks, got his on-base percentage up higher than his batting average, which is always a good thing, and he'll move on from there."

Youkilis, 33, is hitting .200 with a .265 OBP, .233 slugging mark and .498 OPS this year, though he's 6-for-18 with three walks and two doubles in his last five games.

Valentine is a fool for saying this publicly.

This is why Bobby V is the wrong manager for that team. The Red Sox are a bunch of headcases who needed their ego stroked, and Bobby V dont play that.

I don't think that's it at all. You just don't publicly call out someone's passion for the game when you're their goddamned manager.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

You just don't publicly call out someone's passion for the game when you're their goddamned manager.

Especially when it's a player like Youkilis who, if it weren't for his "passion" for the game, etc., would probably be working on a construction site today. I don't like "Youk", and I don't like the team he plays for, but there's no question that the guy is a "gamer." Dude shows up to play every day...at least based on what I've seen of him, it seems that way to me. I may be wrong.

BB52Big.jpg

You just don't publicly call out someone's passion for the game when you're their goddamned manager.

Especially when it's a player like Youkilis who, if it weren't for his "passion" for the game, etc., would probably be working on a construction site today. I don't like "Youk", and I don't like the team he plays for, but there's no question that the guy is a "gamer." Dude shows up to play every day...at least based on what I've seen of him, it seems that way to me. I may be wrong.

No, you're right. The guy has battled for this franchise. Valentine is an asshat.

spacer.png

Halladay vs Lincecum tonight. Considering the offenses they're facing, we might see another 1-0 game...

Or the Phillies could just blow the Giants out.

Lincecum has not pitched well going back to last September. If he doesn't get this one I would start to ask some serious questions about whether or not he's 100%. Granted I've only seen one of his starts (season opener against Arizona) but he was not throwing the ball hard at all.

Halladay vs Lincecum tonight. Considering the offenses they're facing, we might see another 1-0 game...

Or the Phillies could just blow the Giants out.

Lincecum has not pitched well going back to last September. If he doesn't get this one I would start to ask some serious questions about whether or not he's 100%.

Granted I've only seen one of his starts (season opener against Arizona) but he was not throwing the ball hard at all.

Yeah he's given up the long ball quite a bit in his first 2 games. Fortunately, the offense has played up to par the first week and a half, so hopefully that continues against Halladay.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Looks like the A's stadium saga is going to enter the next phase next month. The San Jose/Oakland ballpark issue is finally going to be on the agenda of the May MLB owners meeting and will finally be discussed (and maybe even voted on) by the owners. The end or beginning of the A's flirtation with San Jose may be near.

http://blog.sfgate.com/athletics/2012/04/16/as-to-put-stadium-issue-on-agenda-for-may-owners-meetings/

Not really related, but if pronouns were used in this sentence instead of proper nouns, there would be no doubt in my mind that the player in question was white.

I bet you he "brings his lunch pale to work with him every day", too.

Not really related, but if pronouns were used in this sentence instead of proper nouns, there would be no doubt in my mind that the player in question was white.

I bet you he "brings his lunch pale to work with him every day", too.

I get what you're saying. It's kind of an epidemic among people who talk about baseball to use certain terms and phrases for white people and other for non-white people.

Back in 2005, there was a conversation on the phenomenal and unfortunately deceased blog FireJoeMorgan about how "throwback players", "grinders", "gamers" et. al. were almost exclusively used to describe white players.

Links here and the comment thread here

From the first link:

When was the last time you heard the word "lunchpail" used to refer to a player who wasn't white? In any sport? What makes Trot Nixon, Brett Favre and Dan Majerle more "lunchpail" than Moises Alou, Byron Leftwich and B.J. Armstrong?

spacer.png

Archived