2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So apparently the Quebec provincial government isn't too happy with the Canadiens' interim coach and is demanding (I'm not quite sure if that's the right word) that their next full-time coach speak French.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

So apparently the Quebec provincial government isn't too happy with the Canadiens' interim coach and is demanding (I'm not quite sure if that's the right word) that their next full-time coach speak French.

I can't believe that this is still a thing. "He sucked the life out of the franchise, but he spoke the mother tongue with such grace."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Quebec provincial government has more important things to worry about then who coaches a hockey team.

I understand where they're coming from. It's bad enough that the onetime bastion of French-Canadian achievement is full of Slavs. The coach needs to be able to address the media. Just learn a little of the language. It's not their place to care, but it's something for someone to care about, if that makes any sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Quebec provincial government has more important things to worry about then who coaches a hockey team.

Yeah, like getting a second team. ;)

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

I understand where they're coming from. It's bad enough that the onetime bastion of French-Canadian achievement is full of Slavs. The coach needs to be able to address the media. Just learn a little of the language. It's not their place to care, but it's something for someone to care about, if that makes any sense.

That's fair. I just don't think a government should be "demanding" anything like this. Given the current economic climate and political upheavel in Quebec focusing on who coaches a private hockey club seems silly.

If fans want to pressure the club that's something else all together.

With 0.1 seconds left remaining in the 3rd period the Rangers win a thriller via Mike Richards.
I think you mean Brad.

Video for anybody who still hasn't seen it.

Wow. When's the last time that this happened? Happens all the time in the NBA, but it's actually much cooler to see this happen in the NHL.

It forced overtime, rather than winning it, but still.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - 2006  |  New Orleans JazzCats - Major League Hockey (AHL) - 2023

That's fair. I just don't think a government should be "demanding" anything like this. Given the current economic climate and political upheavel in Quebec focusing on who coaches a private hockey club seems silly.

If fans want to pressure the club that's something else all together.

It's easy to write this off as those crazy language police at it again, but imagine if the Astros hired a Spanish-speaking manager who not only spoke no English but asserted that he had no reason to bother learning it. It's an imperfect analogy, of course, unless you're supposing that Spanish is the lingua franca of the team owing to a large Hispanic contingent, but it's the best I can do. If Cunneyworth can't be arsed to learn conversational French, then he's, well, a real cunneyworth.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They have the most Americans of any Canadian team as well (including the captain) so that must really cheese (get it?) them off.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

While the Ducks continue their overall streak of ass, Teemu Selanne keeps chugging along tonight in Dallas. Scores a sweet sniping power play goal (Goal #648) to extend his point streak to nine games (longest in the NHL this season, tied with Patrick Sharp's current nine-gamer as well). The goal brings him to 1,374 points and a tie for 22nd in career points with Mike Modano. Another notch in the belt.(Funny it happens in Dallas tonight, which again brings out a subpar crowd.)

---

Now back to your regularly-scheduled, high-quality hockey.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived