NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

About Tampa's unis, I think if they dropped blue and went with black and silver instead it would be a huge upgrade. I mean anyone who has been through those summer thunderstorms in Florida know how fitting those colors would be. The sky turns black interrupted by flashes of bright lightning. It would be perfect imo, not to mention those were the main colors used every season we existed prior to this. Same template and logo would just a color swap back to silver and black like before.

But then they would go from being Leaf clones to King clones...

LA can go back to having purple. Fixed. No one is stealing from anyone else and CCSLC can stop bitching about it :hockeysmiley:

niagaraq.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The silence on new logos/uniforms for next season is deafening. Then again, what we don't know, won't hurt us. Lol. I'm not even going to bother asking local sports retailers on what they know nor what they've heard. I wonder if teams are keeping close tabs on any possible changes from leaking out verbally or through the internet. You would think that teams wouldn't want to be hassled by their most loyal fans over a change that may be unpopular. I still remember the huge anxiety on the forum on canucks.com over the rumoured new Canuck uniforms in '07.

About Tampa's unis, I think if they dropped blue and went with black and silver instead it would be a huge upgrade. I mean anyone who has been through those summer thunderstorms in Florida know how fitting those colors would be.

They don't play in the summer. That would be like the Twins wearing "snow white" in honor of Minnesota getting a lot of snow.

I thought black, silver, and blue went together pretty well. Works for the Magic down the road.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Lightning should be wearing blue jerseys with black helmets, black pants, and blue socks. Take the model that is so popular in hockey (Dark color helmet, lighter color jersey, pants that match the helmet, socks that match the color of the jersey) and apply it with black and blue. The last time we saw this regularly was on the late 90's Capitals and it looked pretty good.

The Lightning thirds almost got this right, but ruined it with goofy socks and a silly nickname on their chests. They could've had a look all to themselves, but chose to dress like the Leafs instead.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Lightning should be wearing blue jerseys with black helmets, black pants, and blue socks. Take the model that is so popular in hockey (Dark color helmet, lighter color jersey, pants that match the helmet, socks that match the color of the jersey) and apply it with black and blue. The last time we saw this regularly was on the late 90's Capitals and it looked pretty good.

The Lightning thirds almost got this right, but ruined it with goofy socks and a silly nickname on their chests. They could've had a look all to themselves, but chose to dress like the Leafs instead.

This would look amazing. I think their 3rd is the best uniform they've ever had (logos excluded.) The blue is light enough to stand out against black and the silver compliments both colors well. Going with this combination with a good logo would make them one of the best dressed teams in the league.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't even mind mono-black, as played out as that might be, because they wore black for their first 18 years in the league, probably not wearing blue jerseys more than 45-50 times period in that time span.

I mean, the blue jersey/black breezer template is something I really like, but they could've gone either way and been good, provided they had the proper signage and striping. That's where things have gone wrong on the last two sets.

spacer.png

Also, they need to go back to their original, lighter shade of blue. Hell, even go with a more electric blue. Royal blue and black don't work well together. They are too close. Sure, black pants with a blue jersey is distinguisable, but black stripes or outlines on the jersey get lost. Royal blue outlines on black don't pop, either.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

About Tampa's unis, I think if they dropped blue and went with black and silver instead it would be a huge upgrade. I mean anyone who has been through those summer thunderstorms in Florida know how fitting those colors would be.

They don't play in the summer. That would be like the Twins wearing "snow white" in honor of Minnesota getting a lot of snow.

I thought black, silver, and blue went together pretty well. Works for the Magic down the road.

The main rainy season in Tampa is summer but it storms all year round, it would work just fine.

niagaraq.png

So does he get the ribbon or not? :P

^I'm joking. No one reply to that...

Just some quick thoughts:

• Putting "BOLTS" on a jersey is so stupid it literally makes me chuckle.
  • The basis of that blue uniform is actually good, but the execution is terrible.
  • I don't get why people think they should have blue as their primary colour (I've seen several concepts with that). They're a black team.
  • Original electric blue >>>>> the second shade of blue they used

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

[shameless plug]

TB3.png

[/shameless plug]

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

Whatever happened to that rumor that one of the Southeast teams was going to do something with their uniforms that had never been done before on an NHL uniform?

Atlanta was going to make a change to make light BLUE more prominent, but they moved and became Winnipeg.

I was wondering what the rumor was with Atlanta in last years' thread. I remember it saying something about a new alternate, but like you've noted.. they kinda moved.

the full change was, according to a rumour that the red jersey was finished, a dark blue new home would come out to match the road, and the light blue would be made the alt.

Actually it was going to be Black not Dark Blue

Chris has updated the Icethetics jersey watch. No alternate for the Sabres or the Stars... looks like this is going to be a quiet year. One bit of good news however is the Stars are working on a complete rebrand of their primary jerseys. Won't hit the ice until 2013/14 though

That's great! I really appreciate you sharing that! Continue your blind support, and never once doubt your team, the ownership, or management! You and your buddy SOD are clearly the fan experts, my deepest apologies for not consulting you wonderful gents before calling myself a fan of the team. I didn't know my fanship, emotion, and dedication could be measured by you guys, this is so nice for you to help me.

I never said I support them blindly, I don't like the new uniforms either and I have plenty of reasons as a Bolts fan to not always be happy with the way things are. Also I grew up a Bucs fan, were about as pessimistic a fan base as they come (and for good reason). That spills over to there teams as well. I also never said you weren't a true fan. So stop putting words in my mouth that I never said.

I just made a statement that I often times find you annoying and arrogant and wouldn't be horribly upset if you decided to relinquish your fanship. Anyways....

LOL, arrogant? I'd like to hear why you say that. Annoying, possibly. You implied something, I finished the thought. Illiterate isn't the right word, but it's the first word that comes to mind.

I've only stopped being a fan of two teams, and one was in a sport I generally stopped caring about anyways. So you will be dissapointed to find out, it won't happen. And I've been a Bucs fan since the orange jersey days. Been going to those games forever.

Someone stated that the shade of blue they used is a huge issue, I agree. When the Leafs and Bolts look way too similar, there is an issue.

It was funny at the game the other night hearing the Leafs fans hating on our unis. "They stole our colors" "This looks like our practice squad game" "When did they start wearing this horse :censored:?"

Also, from reading Icethetics, it explains the only reason the BOLTS third stuck around. And it wasn't because of the bull :censored: Vinik and Yzerman said, that it's because the fans loved it. It's because they HAD to. For 2 or 3 years, it's required. Thus the Sabres getting rid of their jerseys for their 40th anniversary now, as opposed to last year. Kind of stupid if it's an anniversary jersey, it doesn't make sense to make the team wear it for 2 or 3 years, but that's more stupid NHL rules.

So guess expect to see the last decent look left of the Lightning to go away soon. Quite sad.

2ly2w09.jpg

Chris has updated the Icethetics jersey watch. No alternate for the Sabres or the Stars... looks like this is going to be a quiet year. One bit of good news however is the Stars are working on a complete rebrand of their primary jerseys. Won't hit the ice until 2013/14 though

This is VERY wishful thinking but I always thought how great for hockey it would be if BOTH the Minnesota Wild and the Dallas Stars did a rebrand together. The name "Wild" is a horrible joke of a major league team name while "Stars" is way too generic. If baseball's American League can have both the Red SOX and the White SOX, there should be no reason why the NHL cannot have both the North Stars and the Lone Stars? Both franchises can share the North Stars' history '67-'03. The North Stars would be a kelly/forest green and athletic gold team and Dallas could be a kelly green and black team. With two green teams including a revived North Stars brand and an improved Dallas brand, the NHL marketing machine would be rolling in the dough and hockey fans in both Minny and Dallas would be the biggest winners.

The silence on new logos/uniforms for next season is deafening. Then again, what we don't know, won't hurt us. Lol. I'm not even going to bother asking local sports retailers on what they know nor what they've heard. I wonder if teams are keeping close tabs on any possible changes from leaking out verbally or through the internet. You would think that teams wouldn't want to be hassled by their most loyal fans over a change that may be unpopular. I still remember the huge anxiety on the forum on canucks.com over the rumoured new Canuck uniforms in '07.

My guess is that there will be no new uniforms or logos for next year because of the potential of not having a season or at best having a half of a season. The owners have other things to worry about than debuting a new logo in a season that will not be there or cut short. That's just my gut feeling.

This is VERY wishful thinking but I always thought how great for hockey it would be if BOTH the Minnesota Wild and the Dallas Stars did a rebrand together. The name "Wild" is a horrible joke of a major league team name while "Stars" is way too generic. If baseball's American League can have both the Red SOX and the White SOX, there should be no reason why the NHL cannot have both the North Stars and the Lone Stars? Both franchises can share the North Stars' history '67-'03. The North Stars would be a kelly/forest green and athletic gold team and Dallas could be a kelly green and black team. With two green teams including a revived North Stars brand and an improved Dallas brand, the NHL marketing machine would be rolling in the dough and hockey fans in both Minny and Dallas would be the biggest winners.

Disagree.

First of all, the name "Lone Stars" is an oxymoron. It's a lone star or multiple stars. The name might be generic but it's etched into the Stanley Cup.

The Wild may have an awful, minor league name but they have a spectacular logo and colour scheme. If only they utilized them properly on their jerseys, they'd be among the best looking teams in the league. Put the primary logo front and centre on simple clean jerseys that use Green, Red, Gold and White. No phatom shoulder yokes, no circular logos, no scripts and no "wheat" anywhere outside the logos.

Could the same be said of "North Stars" since there's only one north star? I guess Minnesota would be stuck with a singular name if the Minnesota North Star ever hit the ice. :hockeysmiley:

Actually there's more then one north star.

Besides, that misses the point. The problem with the name Lone Stars is due to the fact that "Lone" signifies there can only be one of whatever it's describing. Thus "Lone Stars" is not only incorrect, but it's a terrible name for a team.

Anyway the "why can't there be two teams with Stars in their name? We have the Red Sox and the White Sox after all" doesn't really work. The Red Sox and White Sox got their names before sports branding really came into its own. The fact that both of those teams in the same league have similar names is a relic of a bygone era. It wouldn't be permitted to happen in the 21st century.

Archived