NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

We've really lowered the bar to limbo proportions for post of the day.

+1. how is that POTD material -- honestly I cringed reading that attempt at humor. plus I like Tampa Bay's new uniforms, so. (never understood all the toronto copying backlash - blue and white is hardly a unique scheme. and I'm not trying to start another massive argument, like the one we had when the uniforms were unveiled, but come on man, blue and white?!)

re: Islanders, would they really kill the uniforms after one year?

34y7eo5.jpg

You know what they say, "Traditionalist's can go die in a hole if they don't like it."

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to disagree...

The current look is much cleaner, and the logo is beautifully simple. For the first time since they abandoned their original look, Tampa Bay looks like an actual hockey team.

My only critique is that the shoulder logo is the superior logo in the new identity.

The design process for Tampa's new jerseys...

"We need something Iconic and original... any ideas?"

"Why not just copy Detroits jerseys, they don't get anymore iconic than that!"

"Brilliant! Now we just need a colour scheme, our fans won't stand for red and white."

"Why not just copy the Maple Leafs? That'll make us look even more iconic!"

"Well done sir! Just need a couple of generic Lightning Bolts in circles and we can have ourselves an early lunch!"

"How about writing the words "Tampa Bay Hockey Club" around one of them? People will have to take us seriously now!"

"Genius! Lunch?"

(bow) . Potd my man. Potd. this made my day!

Not sure if Cody has the tenure to nominate, but I'll second.

Ditto. Can we get one more?

Really? People find this clever and/or witty? The board has hit a new low.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I have to disagree...

The current look is much cleaner, and the logo is beautifully simple. For the first time since they abandoned their original look, Tampa Bay looks like an actual hockey team.

My only critique is that the shoulder logo is the superior logo in the new identity.

"Brilliant! Now we just need a colour scheme, our fans won't stand for red and white."

"Well done sir! Just need a couple of generic Lightning Bolts in circles and we can have ourselves an early lunch!"

"How about writing the words "Tampa Bay Hockey Club" around one of them? People will have to take us seriously now!"

"Genius! Lunch?"

Pretty much. It's not like it was even humorous. It was at best a "C-" joke.

I have to disagree...

"Genius! Lunch?"

Without the dialogue, it's not funny. With the dialogue, it's quite humourous.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I have to disagree...

"Genius! Lunch?"

Without the dialogue, it's not funny. With the dialogue, it's quite humourous.

That's true ^

I don't think you're actually a Lightning fan.

Oh, right. To be a fan of the team you have to support every owner and GM and every decision they make.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

I guess being a season ticket holder for over 10 years and following the team very closely makes me the ultimate anti-fan.

I have an idea for you.

1. Think.

2. Post.

It always ends up better when you follow those two simple rules.

And I don't care what anyone else says. That post by Morgo was awesome, and I add a vote for POTD.

2ly2w09.jpg

Oh, right. To be a fan of the team you have to support every owner and GM and every decision they make.

I've heard this innumerable times. Pessimism and distrust with an innate tendency to bet on doubt with the teams you love is, at least around here, better kept to yourself.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I guess being a season ticket holder for over 10 years and following the team very closely makes me the ultimate anti-fan.

I have an idea for you.

1. Think.

2. Post.

And I don't care what anyone else says. That post by Morgo was awesome, and I add a vote for POTD.

You scream and curse and throw internet tantrums because the ownership of the team you support changed its uniforms. While this is obviously an aesthetics-centered internet forum, you act like your team's new uniforms are the worst looking thing to ever hit the ice in the National Hockey League, and that the team you claim to support, and especially its ownership and management, is deserving of your eternal vitriol solely for changing its clothes.

As you have been a season ticket holder for the past ten years, perhaps you are unfamiliar with the decade previous to that. You see, in the 1990s, many teams came up with ill-conceived, unconventional designs that truly raised the bar for for "ugly on ice". You may even see some of them posted on this very board if you didn't suffer from tunnel-vision brought on by your Lightning hate. Also, around the same time in the 1990s, the Lightning were a joke of a franchise, owned by the Texan caricature from The Simpsons who thought it would be a great idea to make an 18-year-old the team's captain before he'd played a single NHL game.

But hey, you don't even have to go outside of your ticket-owning tenure to find worse/dumber times for the Lightning. Remember a guy named Oren Koules? His dysfunction bottomed-out the franchise, and if he'd stayed around much longer, your team could have been the one sacrificed to Winnipeg to save Bettman's Coyotes. During his reign, the Lightning also wore one of the most egregious examples of Reebok's click-and-fill Edge templates, with remnants of RBK's attempts to mandate front numbers and remove hem stripes from the league, plus sock stripes that melted down the back. The pants looked great, but everything else was atrocious. Jeff Vinik has so far stabilized the franchise, invested millions in arena renovations, and given you a free jersey, plus merchandise and concession discounts, for your support and continued investment. But I guess he made the team wear blue, so BOOOOOOOOO worst owner ever.

Your team's current uniforms may lean toward bland and uninspired, but they are far from the war crime you make them out to be by reflexively spewing every time they get brought up in this forum. But if seeing blue and white on the ice 41 times a year really does fill you to the brim with bile, just save yourself the trouble and the money. Stop buying season tickets and stop calling yourself a fan.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I've heard this innumerable times. Pessimism and distrust with an innate tendency to bet on doubt with the teams you love is, at least around here, better kept to yourself.

Yep. God forbid you criticize the you love if the team you love won the Cup (or the Series or the Super Bowl or the Finals) within the last thirty years, even if it's just your nature when it comes to dealing with your teams. GOD. FORBID.

And I stand by my vote for Morgo's POTD.

spacer.png

I have an idea for you.

1. Think.

2. Post.

You scream and curse and throw internet tantrums because the ownership of the team you support changed its uniforms. While this is obviously an aesthetics-centered internet forum, you act like your team's new uniforms are the worst looking thing to ever hit the ice in the National Hockey League, and that the team you claim to support, and especially its ownership and management, is deserving of your eternal vitriol solely for changing its clothes.

As you have been a season ticket holder for the past ten years, perhaps you are unfamiliar with the decade previous to that. You see, in the 1990s, many teams came up with ill-conceived, unconventional designs that truly raised the bar for for "ugly on ice". You may even see some of them posted on this very board if you didn't suffer from tunnel-vision brought on by your Lightning hate. Also, around the same time in the 1990s, the Lightning were a joke of a franchise, owned by the Texan caricature from The Simpsons who thought it would be a great idea to make an 18-year-old the team's captain before he'd played a single NHL game.

But hey, you don't even have to go outside of your ticket-owning tenure to find worse/dumber times for the Lightning. Remember a guy named Oren Koules? His dysfunction bottomed-out the franchise, and if he'd stayed around much longer, your team could have been the one sacrificed to Winnipeg to save Bettman's Coyotes. During his reign, the Lightning also wore one of the most egregious examples of Reebok's click-and-fill Edge templates, with remnants of RBK's attempts to mandate front numbers and remove hem stripes from the league, plus sock stripes that melted down the back. The pants looked great, but everything else was atrocious. Jeff Vinik has so far stabilized the franchise, invested millions in arena renovations, and given you a free jersey, plus merchandise and concession discounts, for your support and continued investment. But I guess he made the team wear blue, so BOOOOOOOOO worst owner ever.

Your team's current uniforms may lean toward bland and uninspired, but they are far from the war crime you make them out to be by reflexively spewing every time they get brought up in this forum. But if seeing blue and white on the ice 41 times a year really does fill you to the brim with bile, just save yourself the trouble and the money. Stop buying season tickets and stop calling yourself a fan.

This is the post of the day. Morgo's post was hacky and unclever.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I have an idea for you.

1. Think.

2. Post.

This is the post of the day. Morgo's post was hacky and unclever.

Seconded.

niagaraq.png

This. But God forbid you ever talk positively about your favorite team, then you're a pie-in-the-sky homer instead.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived