MWC/CUSA Universities Announce Plans to Form New Conference

dcameronh

How about Conference USA? ^_^

I meen, c'mon. What would be a better name for a confernce that goes from the Atlantic to the Pacific?

The "Nowhere To Go" Conference. :upside:

Now it may be a lack of ignorance on my part, but I don't think these mid-level colleges/universities can afford to be united in such an expansive geographical configuration.

I meen, c'mon. What would be a better name for a confernce that goes from the Atlantic to the Pacific?

Now it may be a lack of ignorance on my part, but I don't think these mid-level colleges/universities can afford to be united in such an expansive geographical configuration.

Sure they can. There will liekly be 2 8-team divisions which means most of their games will be played exactly where they would've been with no merger. And since they are forming a new league, they will get a new tv deal that will surely pay more than the old MWC schools were getting.

Sure they can. There will liekly be 2 8-team divisions which means most of their games will be played exactly where they would've been with no merger. And since they are forming a new league, they will get a new tv deal that will surely pay more than the old MWC schools were getting.

Ah, I see. How much is the current MWC and CUSA television deals worth?

I love this. Did anyone happen to notice the semifinals match up statement for deciding a football champion. It'd be interseting, because a team could actually go 16-0 with that type of schedule. So what are all of the teams that aren't going to join this conference going to do? I say whatever teams don't join the new conference stay in the new C-USA, and all of the new schools make the AAC(American Athletic Conference, or All American Conerence). This could work out pretty well, but the only hard thing would be basketball scheduling.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

But they would prefer 18 to 24 teams. That means they will try to gobble up the larger markets in the WAC, like SJSU, possibly Utah State, or UTSA down the line.

Bottom line is the schools which have left both conferences make a better set than this "merged" combination.

Teams who have left: Utah, BYU, TCU, Memphis, SMU, Houston, UCF, SDSU, and Boise St.

Ah, I see. How much is the current MWC and CUSA television deals worth?

As far as current TV contracts, on average both conferences earn $1M per school.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with the new naming opportunity. I think they've done a good enough job taking the crap they've been left with and trying to make something positive out of it. So this merger isn't a bad move, given the realities of the current TV and BCS landscape. Best of all, it finally kills the Mountain West TV Network which was awful for the league, bad for exposure and gives them a chance to get a bit more widespread distribution which I'm sure they're aware of.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

Spoken for by the Big East.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I honestly think them stating a possible 24-team conference is a bit insane. Wonder if this means them taking a few MAC teams like Temple and Akron? Both have been trying to get out of the conference, and really Temple is just there for football anyway.

I honestly think them stating a possible 24-team conference is a bit insane. Wonder if this means them taking a few MAC teams like Temple and Akron? Both have been trying to get out of the conference, and really Temple is just there for football anyway.

Temple wants the Big East first, although if they saw this things as a means to that end they might take it.

If Akron left the MAC, I'd assume it would be for the Horizon League/Missouri Valley Football Conference Combo.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The only good thing to come from this would be the fact that they'd probably have to have a 4 team playoff in this conference just to determine who actually wins the conference. Hopefully that'd send a ripple effect across the nation when it comes to crowning a National Champion. Especially considering that a 4-team playoff is about as good as it's probably gonna get for this level of football.

That is literally the only thing that excites me about this superconference, & it's basically pure speculation. :(

Temple wants the Big East first, although if they saw this things as a means to that end they might take it.

If Akron left the MAC, I'd assume it would be for the Horizon League/Missouri Valley Football Conference Combo.

Horizon may be a step up in basketball, only because of Butler. Take them out of the equation and it would be a step down. But MVC is a FCS conference. No way we're dropping down. If football was the only criteria Memphis would still be in C-USA.

Archived