Johnny Canuck Logo Petition

VancouverFan69

Count me up as another one who prefers the Orca to anything else thee Canucks have ever managed to come up with. They just need to lose the big arched Vancouver and they've got a really good look going.

The stick in rink just is there to me, it's not good, not majorly bad, just kind of there and boring. Either Johnny Canuck logo might work for a minor league team, but not in the NHL, and the less said about the spaghetti skate or the flying V the better *shudders*

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a little strange to create it and never use it, save the practice jerseys

"

This is my theory on what has been going on with the Canucks' current logos. Back in '06-'07, teams had the option of changing logos and/or colours for the following season, as part of the NHL's switch to the Reebok-Edge uniforms. Unfortunately, only the Canucks were not allowed to change their primary crest. Colours and design, they could change. If people recall, the Aquilini family purchased the remaining 50% ownership from John McCaw late in 2006. So many people thought that we would finally see the end of the Orca Bay-inspired orca logo. But during the league-wide switch to Reebok-Edge, the Aquilinis were being sued by their former unofficial partners, Tom Gaglardi and Ryan Beetie. Therefore, the Aquilinis were not officially approved by the NHL. It just didn't make sense for the NHL to allow a Canuck logo change, should the conditional Aquilini ownership fall through in the courts.

That is why the Aquilinis hired Chris Zimmerman from NIKE to design the current copy & paste uniforms. Colours could change and a new shoulder logo was allowed. I agree that the "Vancouver" was added to sell jerseys during the Olympics and to also "dumb down" the orca. Furthermore, the Aquilinis didn't own the rights to the Johnny Canuck trademark until the ownership trial was over.

I am sure that deep down inside, the Aquilinis would have happily replaced the orca with Johnny or the Stick logo. Unfortunately, they were caught between a rock and a hard place. So, it was either go half-way or keep the original orca uniforms and colours. I think this makes sense.

Either Johnny Canuck logo might work for a minor league team, but not in the NHL

Disagree on the Johnny-V. It has a simplicity about it that AHL logos don't often have, and teams beneath almost never have, because they don't have the brand strength to stand on their own without the full team name and various hockey implements. If anything, slapping "Vancouver" over the logo is minor-league or collegiate.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Either Johnny Canuck logo might work for a minor league team, but not in the NHL

Disagree on the Johnny-V. It has a simplicity about it that AHL logos don't often have, and teams beneath almost never have, because they don't have the brand strength to stand on their own without the full team name and various hockey implements. If anything, slapping "Vancouver" over the logo is minor-league or collegiate.

You know what, that was a little bit harsh on the old Johnny-V.

You're right about it being too simple to work in the real minors, but I think it actually stacks up fairly similarly against most of the logos from the AHL and the CHL. I could definitely see it being used as a primary at that level more than in the NHL itself, at NHL level I think it works perfectly where it is now, as a shoulder patch

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

This to me seems like the obvious solution if they were even interested in making another change. It's not more cartoon-y than the whale

Canucks.png

This is a great idea. I would go 1 step further and suggest the C - without Johnny) is all that goes on the uniform (the currents)...Johnny over the C should be relegated to the official wordmark, paying homage to the heritage of the franchise.

Man it's tough to look at his face. They really need to fix that.

The C-Johnny logo would make an acceptable shoulder patch but IMO is too much for a crest. If they went with a modernized flying V (which as someone else pointed out could really work if toned down enough) then the C-Johnny logo would be great on the arms, where the skate logo used to be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I must be honest, I really like the current logo of the Canucks, although I understand that I don't appreciate the history and the relationship the fans have with the Johnny Canuck logo, I'd keep it as it is

Oh is this where you put your teams title successes?

Well let's see, I support Northampton Town FC...

We've spent just one year in the top flight of English football in our entire history and that was in the 60's...

And that's it. We've been around for 115 years and that's all we have to show for it...

Oh, and I like the Cubs. I think I hate myself...

It's a shame that the Orca logo has so much negative baggage associated with it. I personally think its the most aesthetically pleasing logo they've ever had.

As for the Johnny C logo, I like it but I'd rather see the use of a V behind him rather than a C if anything. But I also think it clutters up the logo too much. It could work, but I'm not feeling it right now.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I just thought of something... Why would the Canucks organization bother making an updated version of Johnny Canuck just a few years removed from their big 07 redesign if they weren't planning on using it on a jersey?

Simple. Money. A jersey isn't the only thing you can put that logo on. It's just another alternative for the people who want to show their Canuck colours but hate the Orca.

The Canucks missed out when they could have used what is currently the Vancouver Giants logo as their own. The creator had originally designed it for the Canucks.

I just thought of something... Why would the Canucks organization bother making an updated version of Johnny Canuck just a few years removed from their big 07 redesign if they weren't planning on using it on a jersey?

Simple. Money. A jersey isn't the only thing you can put that logo on. It's just another alternative for the people who want to show their Canuck colours but hate the Orca.

The Canucks missed out when they could have used what is currently the Vancouver Giants logo as their own. The creator had originally designed it for the Canucks.

Thank god, that logo is awfully executed.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go with the 40th anniversary one and either another in blue just like it, or one patterned off the original 1970's blue one. The Johnny Canuck could be used as a 3rd jersey.

Bought 2 Johnny Canuck jerseys off a guy in B.C. who was selling his extra 'beer league' jerseys a year or so ago.

Here's the pics.

2621102930102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

2346853800102258651S425x425Q85.jpg

VERY NICE jerseys. I would make Johnny a tad or two bigger. I also would love to see how Johnny would look on an actual navy blue jersey. I've seen concepts on this site and it looks fantastic. A navy JC jersey would $ELL like hot cakes or hot-buttered popcorn at the movies.

I prefer the modernized stick in rink to the original, and I don't mind the Script-Orca anymore. I wanted to like the full body Johnny on a jersey until I started seeing it on merchandise and realized how cartoony and odd looking it is full size on the front of a shirt or jersey. I think it would have to be slapped in a roundel or something to work. The borders of the logo are just... weird and aesthetically unpleasing to me as is. The Johnny head on a V is just awful.

And they do have historical precedent for a script on a Canucks jersey.

preview_793_41704.jpg

Ideally, I'd go with the current 3rd and and an equivalent white jersey and then do something new as a third. Green jersey perhaps?

I used to believe that line about the Vancouver being put on there to sell jerseys during the 2010 Olympics, but I don't really find it believable after having lived through the Games. I don't think the average tourist who came here and wanted a Vancouver souvenir was going to be buying a jersey. To much of the rest of the world, figure skating and skiing were and are bigger deals than NHL hockey.

Yeah, but you don't need to be an NHL fan to commemorate your tip to Vancouver with a shirt that has an orca and "VANCOUVER" on it. Ugh, I'm surprised they didn't put "Est. 18xx" or whatever below it so that it would really look like boilerplate gift shop dreck.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived