Possible Brooklyn Nets leak

NJTank

And therein lies the problem: many people in Manhattan and the other boroughs do have a problem with the actual location itself, for various reasons. (Not the with the particular section of Brooklyn where the arena is; but with their impressions of "Brooklyn".) Manhattan people tend to consider Brooklyn extremely unsophisticated (not talking about hipsters, who are identified mainly with the Williamsburg section anyway, and not with Brooklyn as a whole); Bronx people consider it uncool, or, to use a term that is not yet outdated, "wack". While I cannot identify a similar generalisation on behalf of Queens people towards Brooklyn, I can only tell you that I, personally, sympathise strongly with the Manhattan-based generalisation. (No need to go into detail on that!)

Brooklyn traditionally does have a more blue-collar connotation to its name (which depending on who you talk to could be a GOOD thing) but I think those views are beginning to get a bit outdated. Brooklyn is changing and I think people's perception of the borough has been changing too. I know quite a few Manhattanites who have or are now looking into moving to Brooklyn because of the gentrification, the night-life, and convenience, and this seems to be the trend in general. And its not just the hipsters who think this way.

And I've never heard of anyone from the Bronx identifying Brooklyn as "uncool". If anything its the other way around.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've also got to keep in mind that Brooklyn (the borough itself) has more people in it than many major metropolitan areas across the U.S. I think they'll be fine with their fanbase.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Teams like the Islanders and Red Bulls can call themselves New York all they like but...

Yes, the nerve of those Islanders to call themselves New York when they play in the state of... wait, what? :)

I generally support both the Los Angeles Angels and Brooklyn Nets name, but I guess I'm going to have to rethink my stance on one or the other. Hadn't given it much thought until now in terms of the Nets, maybe because they are actually relocating.

And I find it humorous that "Sean Carter" is going against the Nets on this one. (I know it's "Shawn.")

Teams like the Islanders and Red Bulls can call themselves New York all they like but...

Yes, the nerve of those Islanders to call themselves New York when they play in the state of... wait, what? :)

New York State is a big and diverse place though. The Buffalo teams could theoretically call themselves New York too, but that would just seem strange, no? Same with places like Syracuse and Rochester (both used to have NBA teams). People generally recognize the New York name for the city, not the state.

I guess an analogy would be someone from Uruguay calling himself American. Technically he would be correct, but someone from the USA would never admit that, and most people in the world would be confused by it.

I'll let the New York experts debate that, but I still don't think the Islanders using New York is the same as if Buffalo used New York. I was just giving you a hard time. Seemed there were a couple of better choices right there near the Red Bulls.

Well - yes, its a bit different, as there are two reasons why Islanders use "New York": 1) They play in New York State, and 2) They play in the New York City metro area. I think Point 1 by itself would be like if Buffalo used New York, and Point 2 by itself would be equivalent to Red Bulls using New York. Both of these together don't really make them any more than they really are - Long Island's ice hockey team. They could have adopted the Long Island Ducks name that many expected them to back in 1973 and things would not have been any different in my mind.

I'll let the New York experts debate that, but I still don't think the Islanders using New York is the same as if Buffalo used New York. I was just giving you a hard time. Seemed there were a couple of better choices right there near the Red Bulls.

Well - yes, its a bit different, as there are two reasons why Islanders use "New York": 1) They play in New York State, and 2) They play in the New York City metro area. I think Point 1 by itself would be like if Buffalo used New York, and Point 2 by itself would be equivalent to Red Bulls using New York. Both of these together don't really make them any more than they really are - Long Island's ice hockey team. They could have adopted the Long Island Ducks name that many expected them to back in 1973 and things would not have been any different in my mind.

Gyrocol explained this very well.

The only team I can think of which used "New York" in a purely state-related way was the Albany-based New York Buzz of World Team Tennis

New%20York%20Buzz_logo.gif

This team eventually merged with the New York City-based New York Sportimes; the merged team uses the Sportimes name.

(Anticipating the head-scratchin on that strange name, I'll mention that the New York Sportimes play at the Sportime Recreational Center on Randall's Island, which is (I believe) partly owned by John McEnroe, who is also a longtime player on the New York Sportimes team. Also, apropos of nothing, I will note that WTT is a great league, using very cool rules. Check out the matches if they come on TV near you this summer.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I'm sick of non-New Yorkers confusing "Brooklyn" as an area of NYC and saying its not an appropriate identity.. Brooklyn is NOT an area of New York CIty like the lower east side - or worse like the inner harbor of Baltimore - it IS a city... and it is a HUGE city.. 4+ million people. If you include Queens and Long Island which will be the fan base, you are talking about one of the largest regions in the NBA.. even if you don't include Manahattan, Jersey, or any of upstate New York.

Naming the team Brooklyn is not (just) a ploy to get in on the "cool" factor of the name Brooklyn. It is absolutly an appropriate name for the location in a team name. Anyone who understands the New York media market and fan base understands that. Brooklyn is a huge city with its own identity and fan base. It would make no sense to name a team in Brooklyn the New York Nets.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I'm sick of non-New Yorkers confusing "Brooklyn" as an area of NYC and saying its not an appropriate identity.. Brooklyn is NOT an area of New York CIty like the lower east side - or worse like the inner harbor of Baltimore - it IS a city... and it is a HUGE city.. 4+ million people. If you include Queens and Long Island which will be the fan base, you are talking about one of the largest regions in the NBA.. even if you don't include Manahattan, Jersey, or any of upstate New York.

Naming the team Brooklyn is not (just) a ploy to get in on the "cool" factor of the name Brooklyn. It is absolutly an appropriate name for the location in a team name. Anyone who understands the New York media market and fan base understands that. Brooklyn is a huge city with its own identity and fan base. It would make no sense to name a team in Brooklyn the New York Nets.

Good info. I had no idea.

Kind of makes it seem even more sad that teams in New Jersey call themselves New York then. Sounds as though Brooklyn is proud to be Brooklyn, not New York, where as the teams that play in New Jersey and call themselves New York, are embarrassed that they aren't New York. Interesting.

Brooklyn is still a borough of New York City though; even though it has its own identity it's not its own city. I certainly agree though that Brooklyn is more than capable of supporting their team and is worthy of their own identity.

Brooklyn is NOT an area of New York CIty like the lower east side - or worse like the inner harbor of Baltimore - it IS a city... and it is a HUGE city.. 4+ million people. ... Brooklyn is a huge city with its own identity and fan base. It would make no sense to name a team in Brooklyn the New York Nets.

Yeah, yeah, Brooklyn is the "4th largest city in America." Except it's not. Not since, what, 1898? The "Welcome Back Kotter" opening title sequence is not a substitute for an actual history book.

Yeah, yeah, Brooklyn is the "4th largest city in America." Except it's not. Not since, what, 1898? The "Welcome Back Kotter" opening title sequence is not a substitute for an actual history book.

To be fair, aside from the fact that it shares a city government with the rest of New York City, it really IS its own place. Its got its own downtown area, culture, street grid, attractions, etc. Its even got its own library system. So yes, it's part of New York City, but that's really just a technicality.

Heck, its debatable whether they even wanted the merger in the first place. For a long time the Greater New York consolidation was known in Brooklyn as "The Great Mistake of 1898".

Archived