Seattle Mariners: A modern classic

BJ Sands

If I'm not mistaken this is the 20th season of the Matiners uniform set and they've aged terrifically. They aren't spectacular or legendary but they still look contemporary and don't need to be changed.

A completely underrated set. And the return of the teal jerseys and brims has made them even better.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to slightly disagree, I think their primary logo looks very 90s, and could use a little tweaking.

The uniforms are fine though. Especially with the return of teal.

I wouldn't say they are underrated. I would say they are kind of average (like most MLB uniforms), and thus get the attention they deserve.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

The Mariners have one of the few absolutely perfect identities in baseball, in my opinion. It sounds so corny, but the uniform and color scheme is part of the reason why the M's are one of my "second teams" in baseball (the other reason being that Ken Griffey, Jr. and Ichiro are my favorite baseball players of all time). If I had to tweak something, I'd either use the number/NOB font from this jersey on their whole set, or just go back to these navy alternate jerseys.

This is one of the best standalone jerseys in the MLB:

610x.jpg

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Those teals are awful. Such a mangy, dingy looking color. It works as an accent, but not as a primary base jersey color. I agree with the rest of the OPs comments though. Their identity overall has held up terrifically.

The Mariners have one of the few absolutely perfect identities in baseball, in my opinion. It sounds so corny, but the uniform and color scheme is part of the reason why the M's are one of my "second teams" in baseball (the other reason being that Ken Griffey, Jr. and Ichiro are my favorite baseball players of all time). If I had to tweak something, I'd either use the number/NOB font from this jersey on their whole set, or just go back to these navy alternate jerseys.

This is one of the best standalone jerseys in the MLB:

610x.jpg

I love the teal jersey too BUT would use white lettering/numerals instead of the silver. The teal is just too light to hold up along site the silver and makes the set look flat. White would really pop.

Notice how the patch on the shoulder (white outline) looks great whereas the lettering on the front is flat, bland.

I'm going to slightly disagree, I think their primary logo looks very 90s, and could use a little tweaking.

The uniforms are fine though. Especially with the return of teal.

I wouldn't say they are underrated. I would say they are kind of average (like most MLB uniforms), and thus get the attention they deserve.

What is it you think looks 90s about their logo? I don't see that at all. To me the 90s were full of drop shadows and cartoon looking lettering and mascots. The Mariners' look has none of that. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Other than darkening the teal to more of a true Northwest or Emerald green and bringing back the 1999 navy alts (Seattle wordmark with piping and block numbers matching the other jerseys), they look as great as they ever have and probably ever will. Wonderful identity that does not need any major changes.

I'm fine with using silver as the main color for the lettering, but I think they should add back the white outline the wordmark originally had in 1994, and add the white outline to names and numbers.

4009A_med.jpeg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I cannot believe it's been 20 years. Reason #456983 that I feel old. These followed up a very uninspired set.

I agree. This identity has held up well and since they've had it for most of their existence, they may as well stick with it.

We can quibble with the details (cuz that's what we do), but the general identity is solid.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Yeah, this set is definitely a modern classic. One of the rare identities from the 90s that actually held up past the year 1999, and held up extremely well. It's managed to get better since they brought back teal as an important color in their identity, instead of relegating it to just being an accent.

Overall, it's a great look & it's one of my favorites in not just baseball, but all of sports. I agree 100% with OP.

Archived