Redskins 80th Anniversairy

DeFrank

"Acceptability" and "Dan Snyder" are mutually exclusive concepts. As a lifelong Skins fan, I've reluctantly come to accept the fact that our team will find any excuse to make a "celebration" that they can exploit for profit.

I've also come to accept that the bland-ifying template-happy trends of the current NFL are bleeding into our own design philosophy. Am I disappointed by the logo? Yes. Am I surprised? No. Dan Snyder cutting corners is nothing new.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Redskins haven't had much to celebrate for a while, so if it generates interest for the fans and gives them an excuse to do some neat promotions this season, then why not celebrate it, even if it seems arbitrary to some? Maybe if they were still winning SBs or at least having a string of successful years, they wouldn't really need any extra gimmicks, and they'd skip 80, but since they're not, so what?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Popular to bash Dan Snyder at every opportunity. *YAWN*

I don't hear anyone whining about the Steelers here, who already released their hideous 80th Anniversary uniforms for the upcoming season.

80 years is more of a milestone than what the Eagles celebrated 50 years of impotence a couple years back.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/2010/05/03/daily14.html

If I had to make a prediction, I'm leaning towards them using the 75th set. They never had a chance to really use them after they scrapped them after one game because they were embarrassed by the Giants on the field with them...plus, they use the same gold pants they've been using with their primary set.

I really hope the team makes a big effort instead of taking the lazy option (gold 75th set).

The 70th spear set was not a throwback, it was a modern redisgn of the original, so a true throwback to the '65-'69 set would be great.

If I were in charge, I'd bring back the feather helmets! We've used every other "old" helmet in tributes. The feather is still a unique helmet like nothing else used in the history of the league, plus it still looks cool.

Aug30_83.jpg9.jpg

mitchel3.JPGmitchel1.JPG

modern "tribute":

RedskinsGoldPants.jpg

a true throwback would look like:

SJurgensen8x10-300.gif

87Redskins.png

The Redskins haven't had much to celebrate for a while, so if it generates interest for the fans and gives them an excuse to do some neat promotions this season, then why not celebrate it, even if it seems arbitrary to some? Maybe if they were still winning SBs or at least having a string of successful years, they wouldn't really need any extra gimmicks, and they'd skip 80, but since they're not, so what?

Yeah, that's why the Steelers did it too, years of losing with nothing to celebrate.

You people make me laugh. Thanks.

Skins have 5 league championships, appeared in 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them...we have plenty to be proud of. Even recently, the Redskins have had Hall of Famers pouring into Canton nearly every year. 6 in the last 4 years.

87Redskins.png

Skins have 5 league championships, appeared in 5 Super Bowls and won 3 of them...we have plenty to be proud of. Even recently, the Redskins have had Hall of Famers pouring into Canton nearly every year. 6 in the last 4 years.

Having hall-of-famers is certainly something to be proud of, but that doesn't change the fact that the team hasn't been relevant (other than in free agency) for close to 20 years.

80 years is more of a milestone than what the Eagles celebrated 50 years of impotence a couple years back.

80 is not a milestone. Milestones are 5, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100. You could argue that 20, 30 and 40 would also be milestone,s but once you get over 50, it goes every 25 years. Celebrating every five years is pretty dumb.

Also, for the 2002 set, have they explained the thought process for that? Did they combine element from many other sets, or did they just take the old set and add classic stripes?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, it's silly to just say this is a Snyder gimmick. If so, it's also a Rooney gimmick (BLASPHEMY!). The 75th was also a very... failed celebration. They wore the throwbacks once, in a mid season loss to the Giants. Then, SEan Taylor's death kind of dampened any sort of celebration. It was a very odd year. It looks like they're making a big deal of this year, which is nice to see.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

5 years is a milestone? Not sure if I agree with that, especially in the big 4. 5 years is usually the minimum.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 years is a milestone? Not sure if I agree with that, especially in the big 4. 5 years is usually the minimum.

completely agree...I laugh my ass ff when I see 5 year and 10 year tributes...any organization with any sense of tradition and staying power doesn't even start to celebrate any milestone before the 25th anniversary.

too many sports franchises have adopted disney's marketing gimmick of "it's a major anniversary of something every year" and completely diluted the concept of a milestone or celebratory event..just recently with the dodgers they have been pulling this BS with the franchise's anniversary, team's tenure in los angeles, and dodger stadium's multiple anniversaries.

enough already... we need to stop the madness.

completely agree...I laugh my ass ff when I see 5 year and 10 year tributes...any organization with any sense of tradition and staying power doesn't even start to celebrate any milestone before the 25th anniversary.

too many sports franchises have adopted disney's marketing gimmick of "it's a major anniversary of something every year" and completely diluted the concept of a milestone or celebratory event..just recently with the dodgers they have been pulling this BS with the franchise's anniversary, team's tenure in los angeles, and dodger stadium's multiple anniversaries.

enough already... we need to stop the madness.

Agree, and only dissent being I enjoy anniversary patches. The patches are usually...beautiful, for a lack of a better term. From a collector's view, patches are becoming an expensive hobby with how many anniversaries are being celebrated.

I'd say one of the more annoying celebrations is the Astros - they celebrated 45 years of being the Astros in 2010, and 50 years of Houston baseball in 2012. Just seems like a little much, and too close together.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think I misspoke on that. 5 and 10 are milestones in the way that, "wow, we've had a team for 5/10 years already", but not anything that should see a team wearing commemerative patches. They are at least more noteworthy than, say, 35 years. Maybe make logos and put them on programs, but that's it. Also, I agree that teams shouldn't wear patches for intervals other than 25 years.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Redskins 80th Anniversary

"The highlight of the event will be the unveiling of the team's 2012 alternate Nike uniforms. The uniforms will blend historical elements from the team's past, with a new-age look for the future."

Can't Wait ^_^

Sounds like it could be some sort of hybrid throwback/fauxback uni using elements from different eras. As a 'Skins fan, I'm OK with this as long as it doesn't look junky and it's not too Nike-like.

Redskins 80th Anniversary

"The highlight of the event will be the unveiling of the team's 2012 alternate Nike uniforms. The uniforms will blend historical elements from the team's past, with a new-age look for the future."

Can't Wait ^_^

Sounds like it could be some sort of hybrid throwback/fauxback uni using elements from different eras. As a 'Skins fan, I'm OK with this as long as it doesn't look junky and it's not too Nike-like.

Which means it's probably going to be an abomination.... :lol:

Archived